Posted: Nov 26th 2011 4:30PM Neiloch said

Velious was the beginning of the true end of EQ2. They royally f'd raiding and grouping with their 'critical mitigation' stat system. I stopped playing for a few months and i was in a raiding guild. When i came back and wanted to raid again I couldn't. Why? Because my critical mitigation was too low and there were ZERO alternatives. They can't even over compensate with having more healers or 'playing safe'. So either my guild would have had to start giving me loot from raids I couldn't even participate in or I would have to leave my guild and find another guild raiding the exact tier of content I am at.

I'm pretty sure EQ2 is trying to cater more to the casual crowd while exploiting features they already have like housing (DYOD for example) and massive tradeskilling system while further abandoning traditional MMO elements such as grouping and raiding.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 4:30PM pcgneurotic said

I personally have no problem at all getting an expansion that has all new features and no new zones, dungeons or raids - esp. given that this one, AoD, has a long-wished for class included! In every game I play, the things I look forward to most in patches are all the tweaks, re-balances, UI improvements and other myriad adjustments that just enhance the basic game itself. And I see nothing wrong with that.

The irony here is when I think of all the times in the past that people have complained, and said, 'Man, I paid for this expansion, and the new zones are half-empty and don't feel alive, the models are old models that have been re-textured, blah blah blah, they rushed it out, screwed us over, la la la.'

Now, finally, we're getting an expansion which is 90% Quality of Life and 10% Beastlord, and people are still crying? Give me a break, please.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 5:49PM Yellowdancer said

@pcgneurotic

If EQ players stop complaining, they cease to exist.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 7:39PM Raikul said

@Yellowdancer Think you got them confused with EVE players.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 1:34AM Neiloch said

@pcgneurotic I've literally never heard of these complaints you describe. Complaints I hear for expansions is massive amounts of bugs and whatever stat/item revamp they tied to the expansion at release or slightly before release.

this is a $40 feature set. It includes NONE quality of life improvements.

Mercenaries - Useless for anything more than a moderate difficulty group run. they said outright they are useless on raids and ALWAYS more useless than a player version. Basically for people who want to solo with a partner or old/low level group content.

Reforging - 'we can't figure out how to make items players want so you do it.'

DYOD - said before, can't be ran on actual characters, little more than an expanded house decorator feature.

AA Cap raise - obligatory attempt to get cash from min/max'ers who see absolutely no benefit from the expansion.

Beastlord - another obligatory grab for cash, whose mechanics are no doubt simply a test bed for EQNext.

Tradeskill apprentice - I don't even know why they are doing this. Only thing I can imagine is they liked the crafting system in SWTOR so much they decided to steal it even though they already have a crafting system.

that's the expansion. Not a single 'quality of life' improvement and all 'casual' focused features while multiple year long complaints remain.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 5:18AM pcgneurotic said

@Neiloch

Neiloch, the cynicism in your reply above is... overwhelming. How can you still be alive and yet be so suspicious and unhappy about every possible thing?

I can see by your first post that you've played EQ a while and know your stuff, so it surprises me that you've never heard anyone complain about empty zones or re0sed models. Maybe you're just denying it to support your own argument?

NPC Mercs are not, never have been, and never will be replacement raiders. If SOE made AI Mercs who had the skill to raid, the playerbase would go INSANE. Besides, I doubt it's possible. Ever since their EQ1 implementation, AI Mercs have only ever been about helping low-level players do more difficult content when they can't get a group, simple as that. Your expectations of them are also insane.

So you can't/won't use the dungeon designer? That's your own problem, not SOE's, and certainly not the fault or problem of the thousands of other players who WILL use it, and happily so.

Calling the Beastlord class a 'cash grab' belies your naivety and lack of ability to think clearly beyond your own immediate wants and needs. In fact, it's such an insane statement, you're really just digging your own grave with it.

I can't even go on, it's too depressing. Go outside, have some fun, smile a bit. Be happy. For your own sake, if not the Internet's.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 6:22PM Seffrid said

The gameworld is already so large that a combination of revamping existing zones and adding new features is a perfectly good way of making an expansion.

As for whether there will be any more paid-for expansions as opposed to cash shop updates, who knows? Possibly not, at least until the cash shop bubble bursts.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 9:19PM Lucidus said

@Seffrid Didn't exactly work for WoW with Cataclysm.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 1:36AM Neiloch said

@Seffrid what revamped zones? there is no such announcement for the expansion. Anything remotely close to that in recent months is the old zones levels scaling for the POS 'dungeon finder'

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 6:16AM Seffrid said

@Neiloch "what revamped zones? there is no such announcement for the expansion."

I wasn't referring to any stated plans, merely giving my opinion that with a gameworld as large as this there is no longer a need to add more zones, rather to make better use of the existing ones.

As it happens, however, SOE have indeed announced such plans in respect of Freeport now and Qeynos next year, in addition to the revamps they've already done in respect of quite a few of the original zones. I've no doubt they'll continue to overhaul the exising content, and that can be done in small updates rather than large expansions.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 9:37PM GreenArmadillo said

Beastlord Class: Great for people who want to re-roll, personally I've been working on my main for 3 years, so my interest in this class could not be lower. I will get more use out of WoW's cosmetic minipet battles than Beastlord taming because at least I can pet battle on existing characters.

Dungeon Designer: Can't run them on my main, don't care.

Mercenaries: I'm assuming these guys can't actually main tank, main heal, or even DPS EQ2's heavily scripted instances. If so, don't care. (If they can, then no one will invite PUG's ever again - why bring a DPS who might stand in the fire if the NPC won't?)

Reforging: Only necessary because SOE literally admits that they use an automated script to make their items.

Tradeskill Apprentices: Okay, this one might be vaguely amusing, though the announcement that somehow the only apprentices ready for the "expansion" launch will be a Coldain Dwarf makes this sound pretty darned unfinished.

AA Cap: The 50 point AA cap increase in February's $40 box consisted of 48 points of passive stat increase and 2 points of new ability (which was generally some sort of DPS or utility cooldown). With such a short beta, I doubt this round will be any more fleshed out. However, rest assured that content will be tuned assuming the new stat levels to make the $40 AOD CD-key a mandatory purchase for people like me who don't care about any of its contents.

If this is EQ2's last expansion, I will shed few tears.

Posted: Nov 30th 2011 11:23PM SonyHatesYou said

This steaming pile of refuse is the latest garbage SOE is going to sucker people into buying. THERE ARE NO NEW ZONES. THERE IS NO NEW CONTENT. In addition, these "design your own dungeon" gimicks CANNOT BE PLAYED WITH YOUR OWN CHARACTER. They are like the old EQ1 monster missions--you have to run them with a premade template avatar, not your character.

Add to this that the +20AA has NO NEW AA -- only an increase in the cap to buy the worst stuff you passed over before. Oh, and in addition to this big pile of TOTALLY WORTHLESS that you will be paying $40 to swallow, you get to be abused, maltreated, and generally treated like garbage by the worst GM and developer staff in the industry.

Oh, and if that was not good enough reason to RUN SCREAMING from EQ2, the developers have recently decided that they like to COMPLETELY DELETE stats from quested gear, void out the total utility of COMPLETE GEAR SETS, and leave some people's characters with NO FUNCTIONAL GEAR and do so with NO exchanges, no refunds, and no recourse for that gear. So, yeah, go play this if your local masochism parlor is closed and you really need someone to treat you like total garbage and charge you for the privilege.