Posted: Nov 26th 2011 5:21PM mattwo said

Yea, I think Brutes from city of heroes/villains are kind of in the same boat as monks.

At first glance you might see them as a tank with their power sets reversed.

But tanks are...well tanks. Brutes are damage dealers. Sure they have similar survivability traits to tanks, but so do scrappers.

In the end it comes down to the brute's inherit power: Tanks generate more agro when they attack, Brutes on the other hand get a damage boost instead.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 5:38PM mattwo said

Really there is a lot of confusion between the classic archetypes and the ones introduced with CoV.

Controllers are more support-oriented, dominators are more actual crowd control.

Defenders, again more support, corruptors, more damage.

Stalkers are more of a sort of archetype you see in shooters, they're the espionage type like the thief. Scrappers, pure damage.

Each side had their own thing though. Blasters and Masterminds.

While Controllers and Dominators could have pets, they could not control them and that's not really the focus of their archetype. Blasters could also have them depending on their primary set, and every other archetype that shared said set could use them too.

Blasters kind of got mixed with defenders to make corruptors but people will compare corruptor to defenders.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 5:43PM Galedrid said

It bugs me more than it probably should that this article is referring to Jobs as Classes.

Jobs. :(

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 9:04PM Raikul said

@Galedrid FFXI has no classes. They're called Jobs.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 9:46PM Galedrid said

@Raikul I know, that's my point. Why does the article keep saying Classes? They are jobs.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 4:10AM AceUnbound said

@Galedrid

Yeah, definitely jobs. I say classes sometimes too but it's not a class system, it's the job system haha.

It bugs me that it sounds like Eliot hasn't played any of these jobs in like....forever. Mnks can and do tank now, thfs don't sata anymore (no need to) and wars are basically some of the best dds out there.

I don't play any of these three jobs nor have I fought shinryu since it came out (all about the VW now), so I'm kind of disappointed at the lack of insight into the true FFXI community atm. It's evolved past what I see in this post, check BGwiki or just sit in Port Jeuno and ask questions about the game and it'll probably contradict everything Eliot said in this post.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 12:04PM myr said

@Galedrid

They're pretty much the same thing...

@AceUnbound

I know, right..? Maybe early early game if you're trying to solo or lowman the stuff written above applies, but if you have one existing friend that can get you into an abyssea leech (or even just tagging along while your friend goes about his abyssea business, if you're a support job) you can rack up enough exp to hit cap very quickly. And once at cap, the game is completely different than it once was. Although I can't speak for VW, Abyssea pretty much changed everything.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 8:26PM Raikulxox said

@Galedrid Ah, misread. Just noticed that, heh.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:37AM (Unverified) said

@myr ya it took me 6 months to learn how to play before eg.now the ranks are filled with weekend warriors unable to play properly.

as for the i wanna be a tank...redmages can tank pretty much anything with practice.alot of practice.

lastly toons are wow,in ffx1 theyre characters...

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 6:45PM (Unverified) said

I like your articles, I like the idea of FFXI and FFIV but I've been warned off. Maybe when FFIV is revamped I'll have the courage to try it.

Quick question: what in your opinion is the strength of the job systems over traditional one-track class systems?

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 4:15AM AceUnbound said

@(Unverified)

Easy answer, you don't have to settle. Some people start playing a game and say, "I want to be a tank." Then later on turn around and say, "Crap, mages look far more cool." From there they are forced to restart a character and rebuild from scratch. In FFXI, you can switch jobs by simply going back to your MH and changing to your next job that you want to be. For me, it's "Oh, tired of playing as samurai for today, let me go change to white mage and heal people", etc.

Now, the downside to that is the sheer amount of gear and time that adds into it. Say you want to level both paladin and white mage on the same toon. So you'll have to fully gear them, level their respective sub jobs, and then skill up the crap out of all their useful skills. This leads to a very sophist way of thinking, you're not the best at either job since your attention's split but it does make it so you can try every job you'd like. In other words, you don't have to settle :p

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 11:52AM myr said

@AceUnbound

Fun thing is that with enough time and inventory shuffling, there's nothing keeping you from being the best you can possibly be at every job you play.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 12:46PM LazyLemming said

Erm... has the author played FFXI anytime recently?

Monks are often tanks. Things hit so hard these days that it's more about how many hits you can avoid, as opposed to how much defense you have. With Counter and Ninja shadows, monks do well as tanks. Add in the fact they hold hate through sheer damage and it's all win.

Monks fall off at later levels? Monks have been and still are one of the highest DDs in the game. They don't do the massive number WS's as other jobs, but they do hit a dozen times for every 3 other jobs do. It adds up real fast.

WAR is also just a beast at DD. Tons of abilities and traits, with plenty of subjob options just enable it to do crazy damage.

Screw THF. Throw your boomerang and go sit in a corner for treasure hunter.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014