Posted: Nov 26th 2011 12:26PM Tiresias said

Though I haven't played LoL in a few weeks (too busy playing SWTOR beta), I have to say that a lot of these changes seem to be moving the game in the right direction.

I played at some decently high-level ladder rankings, and I can assure you that you pretty much knew when a jungler was going to gank, depending on which character they were playing. It was pretty standard: clear the jungle, get red buff, go gank. Anyone who had played for any length of time could predict the gank within 10 seconds or so. Added unpredictability will be good.

I also like now that if your lanes are doing well and simply don't need help from the jungler you still have something to do since the respawns will come up faster. I have had games as a jungler where my lanes were just dominating and me showing up with simply throw them off by convincing the enemy to play more conservatively. Now in those situations the jungler can stay in the jungle and get an experience and gold advantage or have more opportunities to steal the fast-respawning camps from the enemy's jungle.

On the other hand, I'm not convinced that the changes to Sivir are going to help her out much. She still has very low utility and is still mostly an auto-attack ranged champion. I could be wrong, of course; time will tell!

I do find it funny that they are adding in an armored bear -- perhaps the most-requested champion template on the forums.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 12:38PM Zyrusticae said

@Tiresias

Agreed entirely.

I think the Sivir changes will be dependent on whether or not she can out-damage every other ranged carry on the planet. I mean, yeah, she has absolutely *no utility whatsoever*, so she better hit damn hard!

It's funny how the masses react to these sorts of changes. I can kind of understand the negativity towards the potion change, but the jungling changes? Something tells me these people aren't actually thinking things through and are just reacting to change because change is evil. Heh.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 1:55PM Kalex716 said

@Zyrusticae

I agree with you, jungle changes are good. The creep and potion changes though, i'm a bit more dubious of but will have to wait and see...

I think it was a compelling choice for people to make at the beginning of the game, to buy some forgiveness from parishable potions. I can't quite figure it out, first they don't want us to buy Doran's items, now maybe they do? Or maybe the want us all buying regen pendants etc. instead? The idea that they can game/design conservative play OUT of LoL's early game seems absurd to me, people play safe cause they want to win, playing too aggressive is bad form. I never appreciate when they make changes under that guise of "trying to make it less passive".

Lots of speculation suggests that strong melee, and early dmg champions might be able to dominate top lane too easily, with creep dmg and potion nerfs combined. Weaker early game characters may have a harder time finding a place on rosters...

We shall see!

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 10:04AM Patrick Mackey said

@Kalex716 Yeah, I don't really like the nerf to health potions. I actually think it reduces the incentive to play aggressively, since if you get punished a bit for an aggressive move it maybe means you only lost a potion now. I think it will really encourage a lot more passivity in the early game because you don't have that 200 HP safety net in case things go sour.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 4:05PM slash beast said

You have to remember though with the sivir changes is that her base stats are also getting buffs.

The smart thing to do would be to wait and see how the changes overall affect her.

I do like the jungle changes. Too many times has someone picked and played a jungler and completely and utterly failed at it (dieing to creep camps.)

I think with jungle creeps being toned down some will make it more accessible to people who aren't adept at jungling and will make the overall expierence much better for everyone involved.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 7:08PM KvanCetre said

I really hope volibear is a tank(based on armor). I've been looking to buy a new tank and Leona hasn't been getting great reviews from what I've seen. I've got 6300 ip waiting for it, regardless.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 1:58PM Kalex716 said

@KvanCetre

Lets see how he plays out, but I gotta disagree on Leona...

She could be worth learning sooner than later...

I actually think you're going to see much more of her next patch. She might be really good top lane as she's one of the tankiest characters in the game. She doesn't have great sustain though, but her W can get it done, and keep creeps pushed/ last hit reasonably well. More importantly, if jungling is easier, her stun train coming out of it at un predictable times might make her very viable there as well!

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 9:55AM Patrick Mackey said

@KvanCetre Leona is pretty good imho. She contributes a lot in teamfights simply by being hard to ignore. In the laning phase, she can punish overextended enemies pretty badly with a decent jungler or dps lanemate due to her massive amounts of crowd control. Having an aoe stun on top of an immobilize and a single target stun is pretty nice. I'd say she's not top top tier, but still fairly strong. I think she does pretty well in Dominion just because short cooldown stuns are so strong.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 7:43PM h4ngedm4n said

I'm definitely looking forward to the easier jungle. Right now it pretty much requires a level 30 summoner with jungle-specific runes and masteries to pull off an acceptable jungle. Making it easier will hopefully allow the new level 1 summoners to try out jungling effectively, instead of being stuck with duo-lane.

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 6:40PM eyeball2452 said

@h4ngedm4n

Well, jungling's never going to be for level 1's, but maybe it'll help the level 10+ that understand the basic game mechanics.

I'm not an expert at jungling, but I've read enough guides to get the general gist of what it's supposed to look like (paths, mob placement, mobs, gank timing, etc). At level 13, I've yet to see anyone do it right ... not put the team in a hole for the laning phase. We might win despite the jungler, but never because of them.

What I wonder about is the minion nerf. I never find the minions killing people or really killing earl skirmishes, so I'm not sure why that change is being made.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 10:01AM Patrick Mackey said

@eyeball2452 I think that minion aggro is kind of a real problem. If an enemy player is out of position, it becomes problematic to harass them early game. If you take a shot at the enemy, you eat multiple caster minion hits which can put you behind pretty fast even if he doesn't counter. Especially early game, a carry is not really incentivized to harass, except for Trist, Caity, and maybe Vayne. There's really no point in trading 50-60 damage only to lose 50 HP from minion aggro in the early game. I think they're trying to boost early game aggression for all characters with that change, but with the health potion nerf I can't see how much effect it will have.