Posted: Nov 25th 2011 8:20AM Buckwald said

I used to buy vendor armor in WoW back before the new quest rewards hit. I normally level my bank alts to 20 and buy the standard "white" gear and park them.

But other than "With the exception of a few necessary crafting components" and the "token vendors" (from various MMOs) I can't remember the last time I purchased from a vendor.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 8:37AM scfs123 said

This makes me miss SWG going away even more =(

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:10AM (Unverified) said

@scfs123 This. Such an unappreciated game :(

Hoping some Private Servers pop up.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:17AM Fabius Bile said

@(Unverified)
its star wars. if a private server popped up, George Lucas would napalm it no matter its location

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:34AM smartstep said

@Fabius Bile

There is (was?) SWG Emu private server in development. Have not checked what's happening with it though. Guess I will...

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 10:34AM Ref Minor said

@smartstep

SWGEmu is an emulator, they have re-written the server side code from scratch to interact with your SWG client installed on your PC from your disc.

There is a play server in operation which is fairly functional, but this will be replaced with a totally re-written improved version of their test server when it is ready.

Usually several hundred logged in .

Oh and it's the Pre-CU version too

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 12:57PM smartstep said

@Ref Minor

Thanks will check it out then and read about it. Will wait for some more 'finalized' version though.

As for Pre-Cu - good as playing further versions would be preety pointless. Well till NGE it was ok, though pre-CU was best. NGE ruined it totally though and someone would have to pay me to play NGE version.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:01AM Mikx said

Can I just say how pleased I'd be if more games let players set up their own shops? Not an auction house, but actual shops. FF14's handling of it was abysmal, but there has to be a good way of doing it.

Each player having its own shops may be impractical, but if so, there has to be a better way than just the auction house. Maybe a market district, where the blacksmith is really an auction house for weapons or armor, an alchemist's shop for potions, a market for food, etc...

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:37AM smartstep said

@Mikx

+ 1

Agreed. Tie player shops with some kind of search-like engine (maybe some kind of Tags on player shops, or having to limit items in your shop to 1-3 categories on stuff, etc), well something that will help with looking for stuff.

If this thing done right + throw out AH completly out of game, this could be GREAT ! \o/

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 10:51AM fallwind said

@Mikx -1, that would be annoying as all hell... I need to go to this AH to check weapons, that ah to post my potions, a third AH to get my raid consumables, a 4th to find a piece of armor for my alt.....

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 11:47AM (Unverified) said

@smartstep "Tie player shops with some kind of search-like engine" - so what will be difference between this and the AH, then? Except adding in a useless timesink of extra travel between individual shops (which majority of people will not enjoy)?

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 12:12PM Mikx said

@fallwind

well, yes, you have to find a way to implement it in a way that is not purposefully annoying, or at least mitigates the annoyance. I'd also consider a buyer discount on player shops. You buy from a player shop you get an automatic 5-10% discount, but the seller actually gets the asking price.

That would itself create problems though, because it is the opposite of a gold sink.

You could also make player shops a limited resource that would be a reward at high end crafting. Or split the auction houses entirely, under the premise that the dwarves (or whatever) have the mining and smithing auction house, elves have the magic auctions, etc...

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 12:23PM Oskari said

@fallwind

I can see it maybe working if you have both the AH and the player market. You could set it up so that you earn xp off items you sell in your marketplace. XP could fluctuate based off of a percentage compared to the current AH average. For example, if you sell an item for 90% the of the AH average, you get 90% xp. The market wouldn't be a smart place to earn money, but could be a viable alternative leveling experience.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 1:01PM smartstep said

@(Unverified)

Well I am telling this from my own experience (UO player shops) and for my own preferences.
Things like that help create economy that is more tied to a person and feel less like ebay.
I am not telling to make search-engine like on AH, something diffrent something that HELP you search and not search itself. Not figured out how-to yet.

As for people enjoying or not. Well maybe - I don't know and don't care - just saying my own opinions what would feel good for me.

Had much more fun with economy and trading in games without AH.

It is less convenient but more fun.

Though some / many people would find this rather annoying as they have zero or small interest in crafting / trading or enjoy ebay like AH trading instead.

Posted: Nov 26th 2011 1:23AM (Unverified) said

@Mikx & @Smartstep

What you guys are describing here is very much how FF14 attempted to do it with the market wards. Not the first iteration, mind you, but the subsequent ones which by then had become diluted. The unfortunate part is that the majority of the people who were playing FF14 the last time I played, were screaming "Just put in an auction house", "Just put in an auction house!".

Players can't be bothered to add any extra travel time to their purchasing trips, so they demonized the systems that were attempted to put in place there. FF14 literally would let you search for an item, when you found it, send you to the wards and mark on your map who was selling it so you could go straight to the correct vender and purchase it. The vocal players did not care for any feelings of immersion and chided the idea of taking what they believed to be unnecessarily longer to get their item in the end.

Games aren't allowed to feel realistic after all :P With the advent of more and more realistic looking graphics, other systems like instant travel, ebay-esque auction houses and other such conveniences make our games feel less so. I don't wish to get in an argument about whether it's "magic" or not though XD Yes, you can explain it away. Merely making a point about instant gratification rather than having the small things in life.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:04AM Lucidus said

Never. I always level with quest gear or whatever I can make. Vender gear is just a money sink.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:10AM fallwind said

I've often wondered why devs put those vendors in... at least in games with wardrobe functions you can say that the vendor armor offers a cheap option to get a specific look (though more often than not you can get the same look off the auction house for 1/3rd the cost)

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:22AM Yukon Sam said

I'm a crafter. If I can't make stuff, I'd prefer to buy it from another player.

Vendors serve a purpose by setting a cap price for certain commodities and helping prevent gouging. There are more subtle ways to achieve the same effect, but vendors have the virtue of transparency.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:37AM DarkWalker said

LotRO and DCUO: Yes, though mostly for cosmetic reasons.
Most other MMOs: no, given that I always do all quests anyway (and, if I can't actually bring myself to do all quests, I most likely don't like the game anyway and won't keep playing).

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 9:54AM OutThere said

I'd like to say no, but during one MMO's beta I bought all my gear and weapons from the NPCs. It was generally better than quest stuff and pretty much necessary. Which MMO? Gods & Heroes.

Other than that, no. Never. I like to craft and make my own gear. And, in general, quest rewards are superior to anything NPC vendors sell.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM