Posted: Nov 25th 2011 1:10AM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

Let's put this in a different spin:

I am tolerant of most views. If people are happy with it, it's cool. I do understand a segment who grew up with the OT don't like it and Lucas supposedly made the prequels more aimed at children (although, IMO, he got this wrong. Toy Story is a more engaging story for both young AND old).

Anyway, I come at the opposite end; I tend to hear people who LIKE the prequels or even some of the EU stuff; I haven't read all the EU stuff and I know some of it must be good, but...I have yet to pick up a comic or novel and totally like it (unless we talk about pre-EU stuff that sorta strayed crazily everywhere, when the OT was originally released).

Basically, just like MMO fans, some like this game, some hate it. Some like their football teams and hate others. It's basically feeling comfortable having people with the same opinion as you and agreeing. It is harder for some people to be polite and accept differences.

Actually, these types of conversations happened (and I bet still happen) in "Star Trek Online" on the boards and in-game. Who was the better captain? Which series ruled? Which series stunk? Discussions can get pretty heated or just get over-the-top.

For me, I'll either stop reading or turn the Channel in-game off for a bit. This even helps with other things and concentrating on quests. I'll check back in sometimes if things have cooled down (on channels).

It's just "people being people". There will always be a difference of opinions. Italian families may bicker and argue and even throw furniture around, but in the end, they are still families and loyal to one another (for the most part).

That's just part and parcel of being in an online world/forum with many different people. You won't have everyone agreeing with your viewpoints, even though you may think they are sensible and sound. Sometimes the other side doesn't see it and other times their viewpoint is different.

Fandom has always been this way. With great passions comes great emotion. (So much for Jedi teaching Star Wars fans, huh? ;) )

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 4:49AM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra

True enough that there will always be people with different tastes, and people who feel the need to shout about what they don't like and cast judgements over a matter of taste. It's easy enough to brush off most of that, but I'm closer to Star Wars.

With Star Wars, it's rather disappointing because of how often someone claims to be a Star Wars fan, and it's exciting to have something I love to talk about in common, then it turns out they hate everything but the OT, and it's like...... oh. Well.....

It's like meeting someone who says they love your favorite band, only to hear them constantly complain about everyone but the lead singer. Or going to a forum for said band and finding nothing but people who hate everything except the first single.

I love Star Wars, I digest almost ALL of it, and I love to talk about it with people who love it as much as me, but unfortunately, most of the people who call themselves Star Wars fans really only like the OT, which is like 3% of whats there. What other things have people who call themselves diehard fans but only appreciate 3% of it?

So, you go to forums for fans and find a whole bunch of 3%ers, and worse, they claim that they are the true fans and that the dirty stinking stuff you like is polluting their playground. You go somewhere to talk about something you love, and you drown in negativity.

I'm not saying you have to like the prequels or pretend that you do, but why do people have to be so damned negative about it? Saying they pretend they don't exist, calling them abominations, that they ruined Star Wars... Even if you enjoyed them the least of the movies, I don't get the pure hatred for them and those who enjoy them.

How can I enjoy a Star Wars community as a fan of the whole Star Wars universe, when it's filled with so many OT purists that one can't even discuss most of Star Wars without getting bogged down in hate. How can you have an enjoyable conversation with people who see no need to even understand what midichlorians are before ranting about how they ruined Star Wars, fueled entirely on misconceptions?

@Lucidus

Yea, I like Ep. 3 better than ESB. I love and adore ESB, but that's just how much I love Ep. 3. Start to finish, it's epic. Starts with the best space battle (Anakin and Obi-wan boarding Grievous' starship) ends with the best lightsaber battle (Anakin vs Obi-wan spliced with Palpatine vs Yoda) and throws in a wookie army in the middle.

Ewan McGregor as Obi-wan is I think the best acting in Star Wars rivaled only by Harrison Ford as Han Solo. His monologue after defeating Anakin breaks my heart every time, especially after watching them become as brothers in The Clone Wars. To me, Darth Vader's most impactful line is not "I am your father!" but "I hate you!!"

Despite all the complaints, I also enjoy the extensive CG in the PT. I think it looks great, and I love Star Wars because it takes me to a wondrous galaxy of incredible technology and crazy aliens, so the PT's ability to do that with modern technology is a boon. I also like the acrobatic lightsaber style more than fencing. Jedi seem way more badass in the PT.

Hoth is certainly the best land battle, and I can appreciate ESB's position as the movie that made Star Wars what it is. I respect the degree of awesome it achieved ahead of it's time, and I'll always love it as the premier source of iconic imagery. Still, when it comes to choosing what movie I most enjoy watching, Episode 3 wins out easily.

@(Unverified)

When I spoke of people to immature to understand what I'm saying, I meant people like you. If you honestly look at your tastes and see the definition of good, you are ignorant. I'm not trying to address people like you, I know there is no point. I'm trying to address people who understand hat making a community a more enjoyable place is better for everyone.

When you say things like "And the advice not to watch the prequels is spot-on" ... "Because he actually doesn't want people to watch the prequels" it just points out how immature you are. You honestly think that because you didn't like the prequels, no one else could or should? Why should you specifically want people NOT to watch anything? What do you care? What if they do like it, as some people do? Why is it any of your concern? Why can't other people decide what to like themselves? Do you really think so highly of yourself that you think you can correct people in matters of taste? Do you honestly believe that if you don't like something it's bad?

It's one thing to say you didn't like the prequels. It's quite another to say the prequels are terrible. The first acknowledges that tastes vary and that the prequels simply did not align with yours. The second applies the label of terrible as if it were fact, and anyone who enjoys them is incorrect in doing so.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 6:19AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) : The prequels were bad and you should feel bad for liking them.

And you should feel even worse for writing 16 paragraphs of TL;DR fanwank about them. You should be thankful that you were spared even more embarrassment by Massively's epically broken code showing you as "(Unverified)".

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 7:56PM J45neoboy said

If the CE offered ANYTHING else besides the statue I would buy it. People say it was probably the main reason for the price being so heavy, and I don't mind paying 150 bucks for the CE, I just don't want the statue.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 2:08AM Amusednow said

@J45neoboy I would have ordered the CE day one if not for that crappy statue in it. How about a trooper in full armor? or a jedi? shoot even a droid would have been better or one of the player ship designs, but a sith? meh passed and rather have the extra 100 for other things.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 6:43AM Space Cobra said

@Amusednow

I agree; I tend to like Action Figures with movable parts or even props better. For a statue, I'd prefer a choice and I'd probably would've liked the iconic female Bounty Hunter from the game or the Trooper.

I ordered the CE. I am not too fond of Malak's "look". So, I am either going store it somewhere out-of-sight or just find/make a little Darth Vader helmet and put it on him (maybe get a Pez-Dispenser head, hollow it out and have a rough-estimation of Darth Vader).

Or I might just make something out of Paper-craft and paint it and plop it on....or I just might buy the Mickey Mouse Pez-Dispenser head and plop it on for comedy-effect. ;P

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 10:08AM Celtar said

@Space Cobra

Probably give my statue to one of my sons. :)

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 1:33PM Mikkhail said

Wowsers ... Bioware may be about to take a dump on this one ... for a 200+ million dollar game, this thing is not that polished and not that good. :'(

Posted: Nov 27th 2011 4:36PM Protoavis said

After playing the Beta I can honestly say I'm not waiting for TOR at all anymore. The quotes of "players say it's hard to go back to other games" have to be excessively exaggerated, the game is literally WoW in space with voice overs (constant, walk 5 minutes, voice over, walk back 5 minutes, voice over, I find it got really tedious after a while), the improvements seem entirely superficial that I'm entirely confused where the praise is coming from.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 3:23AM (Unverified) said

@Protoavis

Same with me man. I've been in the beta for over a year. Well, I was actually kicked out of the beta a month ago due to inactivity because what you say is true: the game is just not that great. I really, really wanted it to be too...but it just isn't.

I mean, the story quests are great, but they only make up about 5% of your questing experience. Unfortunately the other 95% is "kill 10 of these" or "bring back 6 of these" and its just awful. The reason WoW got away with it was because it was made back in the early 2000's. This game just doesn't have an excuse to use such a tired model.

Instead of innovating, it just decided to copy and paste and not learn anything from its predecessors.

But, this is just my opinion.

Posted: Dec 11th 2011 12:07PM (Unverified) said

ARE the DIGITAL EDITION and DIGITAL DELUXE EDITIONs going to e available AFTER the game releases???

As far as I know, there is ONLY TWO bonses from pre-prdering :

1- You MIGHT get early access to the game, up to 5 days earlier than release.
2- You get a STONE item that lets you change the colors of your weapon's energy or something to that effect.

So I'm hoping that if i get the game on the first of January, only two weeks after launch - I could still order the digital deluxe edition and i dont have to worry about two weeks of laggy, QUEUED up hell lol.

Seriously though, does ANYONE have confirmation of this?
PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP!!!

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM