Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:35AM real65rcncom said

When I played Perfect World years ago during its Maylay beta, I bought some health and mana "trinkets" that went off each time you got hit.

The problem was the even if mobs that hit you that were no threat happened to take just a smidgeon of life off you, the trinket went off and overhealed. So you went through them really fast.

I bought two of them and I don't remember exactly how much (maybe $5 total) for all the things and that was it.

I quit after the last one ran out because being my first purchase and experience with a FTP (other than GW), it was pretty bad considering around level 40 your toon kind of stalled.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:36AM FrostPaw said

So far I haven't found an mmo I really really like with a cash shop. I have spent about £20 on DDO and about £10 on PotBS but while I enjoyed them enough to think they were worth a bit of investment I knew even before I started playing I wasn't going to keep playing them for more then a couple of months.

I don't think I would ever pay money in a cash shop if I was paying a subscription, I may even cancel my sub if a game tried to charge me twice like that.

Having said all this, If Dark Millenium Online has a cash shop I might spend serious money in it if the items are attractive. I have always had a soft spot for Warhammer 40k

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:41AM FrostPaw said

oh yeah most I would spend on a single digital item...if it was really worth it in my mind I might spend £30-40 but it would have to be seriously appealing to warrant the price of a new game. Anything costing £50 or more would just be offensive to me.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:42AM Tatsuk said

So I guess I'm one of those players the devs love, because I'm not at all shy about picking up a fun mount or appropriate appearance armor in a game...though I tend to wait for steep discounts.

By the by, EQ2 does let you swap purchased items around between characters...I'm painfully aware of that, since I've moved on to Age of Conan where you can't.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 10:05AM wagenman said

Not a fan of cash shops at all. When I finally did break down and buy something from a cash shop, it was for bag space for Vindictus. When I went to actually click on the purchase, after already paying to get virtual cash, I noted that the bag only lasts 30 days! I was outraged. I wrote them a letter and haven't played since.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 10:15AM SwarlesBarkley said

Ok I admit I actually bought 10 of the glow-in-the-dark horses last month from Lotro's store, one for each of my alts.. I have a problem.. I use my credit card too much on F2P games.. I am a loser...

SIKE! April Fools!!! Sorry I get my holidays mixed up.. I once lit 8 candles on arbor day.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!! EVERYONE BE SAFE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON, ESPECIALLY WHEN FIGHTING FOR A 47" TV FROM BEST BUY!!!!!

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 10:16AM (Unverified) said

My time + 15$ subscription fee.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 10:34AM Seffrid said

I'm happy to pay £10 per month subscription for a game I enjoy, so for one that is subscription-free I will pay up to that in a cash shop.

For games I'm already paying a sub for I will only pay nominally more if it's for an item I particularly want, or it's for a charitable cause, or it's covered by ingame currency that I've been given for nothing anyway.

Outside those criteria I'm not interested, and in any event I only play sub-based or freemium games because there are no pure cash shop games that I would want to touch, they're simply not my kind of MMO.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 10:39AM Jeromai said

Probably $5-10, though that would be pushing it for a single virtual item. I equate that price range to the entertainment value of an indie or casual game - it'll have to be some storage or a costume set or a mount or content unlock that would really make a difference in my enjoyment of the MMO, or I'll just buy an indie game off Steam instead for more value.

$15-25 is probably my max limit, but the stuff on offer would have to equate to the value of a month's sub, say, the potential of a second account, or a year's worth of casually played game time. $25 for a sparkly horse boggles my brain, $10 maybe.

$1-2 or less for a single item, probably, if it's not losable via player looting, and if the game isn't built around "must-equip 10 of these or else."

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 11:06AM Macabre 13 said

This is where F2P falls short, in my opinion, because they approach the model with this mindset, i.e. "how much can we get them to spend", rather than "how can we make them *want* to spend".

The more companies that approach the model from the latter perspective, the more successful they will become, and the more gamers will accept the model.

So far, Riot is the only company I've encountered that has harnessed this approach, and look at their amazing achievements? In terms of growth and success, I believe they put other F2P's to shame, in a fraction of the time.

In short, the price I'm willing to pay is not based on how much it costs, it's based on whether or not the game in question is worth spending money on, without feeling exploited.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 11:30AM Pingles said

Boring answer: I am willing to pay a reasonable amount to a game.

If its $12 a month subscription? Fine.
If its $20 in game bucks every few months in a cash shop? Fine.
If its a yearly splurge on a $50 Sparkle Pony in a free game? Fine.

Have never been "tricked" by any game in spending more than was reasonable.

Except maybe for box prices in a few major MMOs. Should have waited for a demo.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 1:16PM Utakata said

Only the Paragon points that I get for pocket money for subbing to CoH.

...and somewhat OT, but it's unusually quiet for news and announcements for a Thursday. Maybe that's me. :(

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 5:57PM Jef Reahard said

@Utakata

Well it's Thanksgiving here in the States. Most of the staff are in food comas or traveling to/from family gatherings, etc.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 7:13PM Utakata said

@Jef Reahard

I gathered that...from a reply to my unrelated inuirey in the an article you wrote just above. But thanks for explaining that anyhows! :)

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 1:27PM Makovorn said

I'll be willing to spend between $5 and $20 for an item it's really, really worth it. Not sure of things like character transfers and faction changes count here, but I've done those a few times in WoW and it was okay, because playing with my friends are important to me.

I was on the verge of spending money to buy storage on Guild Wars ... but then I thought, nah, made some alts and did it that way. I don't play GW1 that much, but I sure will play GW2 ... a lot. I find it hard to understand why anyone would pend, say $70 on a piece of virtual face wear or even larger amount for something virtual in a game.

That being said, if the company say, donated half of the money to a charity or some other good cause, that would be a great incentive for me. I contribute faithfully to a few South African based charities throughout the year and have no problem spreading the love even further by buying an in-game item of my favorite MMO.

Also, with Guild Wars 2 being on the top of my list of things to play in 2012, I will buy storage, character slots and dye packs over time - for my own convenience and to support the developer. If they decide to link a small amount of every purchase to a charity, even if it's just a few pennies, it would be the cherry on the cake for me. :)

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 1:31PM Makovorn said

@Makovorn EDIT: I'll be willing to spend between $5 and $20 for an item *if* it's really, really worth it. And it's "spend" not "pend" etc. Sorry :p No edit button.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 2:33PM LuxAurumque said

I have never paid money for a game shop item directly, but DDO does give turbine points out every month that you are a paid subscriber. During the sale before patch 11 came out they offered 1000 points points per month and 3 months subscription for 30 dollars. I decided to try out the subscription and because I had the points anyway I got the Artificer class to play with which is the most expensive (and only) thing I have gotten in a cash shop. Not sure if that counts since I didn't pay for the points.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 2:37PM xilr said

Up to $15 a month to play competitively. Once someone can spend more than $15 a month to gain an advantage over me I'm out. I support video gaming staying a hobby everyone can afford, and not one for only the wealthy (as Pay-2-Win is taking us)

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 3:12PM Quarlo said

I bought the Galaxy X from STO and I named it the "USS Sparkle Pony"

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 3:43PM Jorev said