Posted: Nov 24th 2011 8:17PM Chambers said

• 1 heart
one thing i really detest about this website is the way it assumes every single reader is an American and waxes on and on about it on a daily basis as well as failing to note important details on many stories when they relate (or rather do not relate) to locations outside of your own borders. Perhaps you could do a piece on the demographics of your readership to confirm or deny my suspicions that you both alienate and piss off a large part of your readership every single time you do it.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 8:40PM Sean D said

@Chambers

If you're referring to Eliot's assumptions, "We all know what day it is, we all know what holiday we're celebrating, and in all likelihood we're all so stuffed with turkey that we don't want to think about anything other than slowly sloughing to the bathroom," you can relax. Thanksgiving may not be a holiday that everyone celebrates, but I think Massively's readership is indeed largely U.S. based and if that's the case, the statements are not entirely out-of-line. Besides that, the entire first paragraph is intended to be a light-hearted joke paragraph, not something anyone should take seriously. Perhaps you're being a little too sensitive? Are you bothered by the Thanksgiving reference, or by the lack of similar references to non-U.S. specific holidays? If the latter is the case, it may simply be that Eliot isn't aware of such holidays, or isn't informed enough about them to be able to make fun of them in a way that would be viewed as light-hearted by you.

A demographics study would be interesting.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:41PM JuliusSeizure said

@Chambers

The opening of this column is always nonsensical, even when it pretends not to be.

That's how I see it. :)

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 11:41PM blueimpact said

@Chambers

One hilarious thing about the internet is there's always some idiot who gets butthurt over holiday recognition.

Only barely entertaining than the people that try too hard to not know what a particular holiday is.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 2:36AM (Unverified) said

@Chambers Get help for you depression... Being Thankful about something is a great way!

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 6:25AM syberghost said

@Chambers he gave the name of the holiday. All he was assuming at that point was that you knew where to find Google and/or Wikipedia. If you need help with that, ask an 8 year old.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 12:35PM Russell Clarke said

@Chambers

Happy Mongolian Proclamation Day!

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 8:30PM JuliusSeizure said

'I do like the idea that someone pitched in the comments of allowing me to demoralize the contestants as a Dadaist Simon Cowell, though.'

*insert Success Kid meme here*

Um, any chance of an extension on the livestreaming position application? I was upgrading my computer for a smoother streaming process, but it, uh, broke. Now I can't afford to fix it until the day before the deadline, which means it won't BE fixed until sometime after, most likely. -_-

Oh, and happy 30th birthday to me. *sigh*

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 8:50PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:28PM Utakata said

@JuliusSeizure

Oh yeah...Happy Bday! :)

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:39PM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

Haha! That made me feel a bit better. :)

And then as I was typing this up I found out my partner and I will have to go on a very strict budget until mid-January because she won't be working at all for two weeks over Christmas and her employers only bothered to tell her today.

*headdesk*

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:28PM Utakata said

Rubi has "children to deal with in the evenings "...as in moderating the Massivley forums over at enjin? Surely they can't be any worse than the WoW's. O.O

...but I digress, I get your point though.

And yeah...thanks for the heads up my by myself issue I was having at CoH. JuliusSeizure has already gracefully stepped up to the plate on that. Though I am still looking for more.

But now I feel bad that Ask Massively was now dominated by 2 of my questions. I feel selfish. I'll try to hold of in asking more...to allow others to ask. :)

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:47PM JuliusSeizure said

@Utakata

Pshaw. It's not that you were hogging, it's that was all Eliot had to work with. ;)

Haven't seen you around since that first time, though. :\ Sorry I had to leave so suddenly, by the way.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:29PM Kaahn Stewart said

Do you think it's time to do away with "Leveling", per se? It seems like the leveling process is becoming more and more trivialized, which makes me wonder why it's even there in the first place. Why not have a game start at "end-game" and provide players new abilities or skills for running content, rather than grinding needless levels? Take a Zelda-esque approach.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:46PM Russell Clarke said

Why a turkey anyway? A steak and kidney pie would be much tastier.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 10:40PM Faction 3 said

@Russell Clarke

Im actually DYING to try Shepards Pie. I seen Gordon Ramsay make one and almost fell through my TV...

It definately looked amazing.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 12:43AM Space Cobra said

@Russell Clarke

I don't remember the last time I've had Turkey on Thanksgiving Day...

...I do find it at friend's houses sometimes, but Thanksgiving is mostly other food groups nowadays, like Steak, or Lasagna, or even Sushi.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014