Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:07AM Space Cobra said

@TexRob @(unidentified)

Many folks cite graphics or faces because of computer availability to all, but I think they mostly forget that it's probably very likely a stylistic choice, too.

IMHO, if you aim for realism, you get art/graphics that tend to look the same, especially when talking computer graphics; there is just only so many ways you can make "photo-realism" look different. Sure, you can add props, but when faces look the same, then, for me (and I think others), we tend to see LotRO looking like SWG, more or less.

A game's "art style" is a bit of a signature and it provides a graphic short-hand that identifies it instantly as "that game" and not any other. This probably can be brought to light more if you imagine stripping armor off your char/toon and taking a screenshot against a fairly blank wall and try to identify the game.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:46PM TexRob said

@Space Cobra very good post SC. If you use WoW as the token example that it always is used for, it definitely has it's own look and feel. I think you are right, SWTOR definitely has it's own look, and I guess I welcome the change even if it's not fantastic, just really good. I think there are some areas that look better than others too. Drommun Mask or whatever it's called, looks fantastic IMHO. The foilage, the reflections in the water, everything is dark but lively (IMHO not an easy thing to do). It's somehow dark without being hard to see.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 2:26PM aaradun said

@(Unverified) Gather you haven't played the game then, because they not that dated other then the character model that could use some work. Other then character model everything else in this game is un-par with rift.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:19AM Mtor said

• Half a heart
If you couldn't tell months ago that TOR was a swing and a miss, then I doubt the post NDA drop reviews are going to change your mind.

I knew to bail on this game when they first revealed their on rails space shooter. It was so bad I doubled checked my calender to make sure it wasn't April 1st, then I laughed and pretty much chalked TOR up as a joke from that point on.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:37AM Kaahn Stewart said

@Mtor

One mechanic that is very infrequent in gameplay turned you off of a whole game, huh? Way to take a good, in-depth look at a video game, Mtor. Very well done indeed.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:48AM Lucidus said

• 1 heart
@Kaahn Stewart Not everyone has a Jedi/groundpounder Star Wars fantasy. Some actually dig the universe for it's space warfare -- to want to play a smuggler that actually pilots a starship and... smuggles.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:58AM Mtor said

• Half a heart
@Kaahn Stewart No, the space combat reveal just made me about 99% certain the game would be garbage. When I actually got to beta test and saw how horribly over-instanced the game was, it just confirmed what I already thought.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:59AM KvanCetre said

@Lucidus
And thats fine, but thats not what this game is, nor ever promised to be. It promised to be an extension of KOTOR, a game with no space combat at all.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 9:05AM (Unverified) said

@Lucidus

Sounds familiar.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 9:56AM fallwind said

@(Unverified) "Game X sucks because Game X doesn't have Feature Y even though Feature Y was never in Game X to beging with."

and feature Y is something that I really enjoy and look for in the games I'm going to be spending $15 a month on.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 9:58AM (Unverified) said

@fallwind

Feature Y will see you in 2 years then. Enjoy.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:12AM Space Cobra said

@KvanCetre

I think most of the critics forget that; TOR was meant to be ground-based at the start. There was a public outcry and Bioware responded by putting in something that hasn't pleased everyone. It was a bit of an afterthought.

Bioware may go back and add in a better space experience, but that was not their initial intent. And really, although Lucidius does make a point about some people wanting it all, it's hard to do both ground and air/space well in one-shot/launch. STO had great space commbat, but ground combat was lacking at launch.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:25AM KvanCetre said

@Space Cobra
And adding space is no simple task. Its basically adding a second game. This is already one of the most expensive games created with years of development. Adding a whole space game simply isn't feasible.

And, should we see it in an expansion, you can bet that there will be very limited ground content added, like Jump To Lightspeed.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 2:09PM KDolo said

@Mtor
Skyrim doesn't have space combat either.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 3:08PM Jwheeler said

@Mtor

What build did you test? The first one? Lawl. Everyone knows that the first build isn't the one you judge a game on. It's usually the 2nd to last build or the last build itself before the actual release client. Shows how much you know about how beta testing works. Of course it's going to suck on the first 2 to 3 builds, for someone like you who is ignorant and just wants spill his rant about biased opinion on the web. You have little to know clue what the game is like as of Nov 11. There has been many improvements thus far and with the new build for this weekend it will have bug fixes and other in-game improvements.

If you're going to rant, have some actual clue as to what the build is at this point in the game and not just make up lies to back up your claim that this game is a fail. You are no analysis, you are not the one making the game, you are not the one making reviews for websites like IGN, Massively, etc. You're just a disgruntled person looking to hate something.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 4:33PM commonperson said

@Mtor Then you haven't played it. I did and it's fun. Sure it's a "mini-game" but you know what? So was the turrets in KOTOR. You're playing a KOTOR MMOified not an X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter expansion. Having got my spaceship and played it it's very Rogue Squadren/Starfoxy and it's fun. A good way to break up the gameplay and at times quite challenging.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 10:27PM StClair said

Look, I want another "X-Wing" game too. But this is not and never was gonna be that game.

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 3:03PM Vagrant Zero said

@Lucidus There are no such people. If there were they would not be spending their time blithering their stupidity on Massively and instead playing Freespace2.

Are you playing Freespace2?

Shut your mouth then.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:19AM Ehra said

No. There are still way too many other games already out that I don't have enough time for. Skyrim and Diablo 3 alone can/will probably last me until Guild Wars 2 comes out. The game still seems well polished, although nothing new. The dialogue is up to Bioware's typical quality. The NDA drop really hasn't changed any of my perceptions about the game.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 11:34AM (Unverified) said

@Ehra

This is actually a fair statement. TOR doesn't do much to revolutionize the accepted staples of the MMO genre, but for some (including me) it is an important evolutionary step along the path. And there certainly are a lot of other games at the moment to occupy your time! Skyrim, you lusty mistress, why do you call to me?

Perhaps in a year or so TOR will have enough time under its belt for you to give it a try? I hope to see you in game!

EVE Evolved: EVE Online vs. Elite: Dangerous