Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 9:23PM smartstep said

@(Unverified)

Going by that definition almost all republicans(along with democrats) are socialists actually, since most of them heavily backed and still are backing and helping with state money private corporations.

In my experience most owners, CEO's, etc of private corporations who call themselves capitalist and constantly accuse everyone of beign socialist or communists want and lobby for goverment to back them up with money and all kind of laws. This was happening before recession as well.

Just research how big amount of tax money and various benefits companies like f.e. Boeing were and are beign fed constantly.

That's just "natural" and all politcal forces (both right and left wing) and big corporations tie themselves and create crony capitalism.

Yes even those right wing republicans (latest thing - tomato souce voted as "vegetable" - done in order to secure and boost fast food revenues for feeding kids pizzas with tomato souce as food with vegetables in US schools rolf)

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:29PM Utakata said

@elliotrock

One that is full on woo and economically libertarian is just as bad. Just saying.

@smartstep

...he/she said "Nationalised Socialist" not "Socialistic". There's a big difference, trust me on that. Go look it up.

@the rest of you

Now getting back on topic...

...this is a terrible idea for any country.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 1:06AM MacDexter said

@elliotrock

Do you actually have any clue what socialism is? And do you have any clue, what a "Nationalised Socialist Regime" may be like?

Stop using terms you obviously don't know the meaning of.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 2:48AM Amlin said

@MacDexter
Tea partiers, gotta love em.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 5:01AM smartstep said

@Utakata

Yea, was late haven't noticed that. I know the diffrence I am living in ex-communist country.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 4:54PM mysecretid said

@MacDexter

This is the problem with this sort of discussion. Too many people in the US wrongly believe that socialism is merely "communism in disguise".

There are a number of socialist institutions and services in the US. Under the rigid false-definition of socialism commonly used, even the US postal service could be demonized as some sort of socialist program in action.

It's why this is my only comment on this subject -- people can't even agree on a definition of common terms, so discussion becomes pointless.

Cheers.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 7:51PM augustgrace said

Obviously children should have certain rights in terms of being protected from harm, but a "civil right" to stay up all night playing games? What about the parent's responsibility to raise their child and set up rules for the household?

How long before these "civil rights" protestors are urging the government to completely take over the role of parenting?

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:13PM tanooki equipped said

• 1 heart
as a gamer and a parent i would actually support such a law here in the U.S

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:39PM (Unverified) said

@tanooki equipped
May I ask why? Is there some reason you yourself can't keep your child off the computer between midnight and 6am?

Don't get me wrong, I do not believe that the law would be unconstitutional even here in the US as it is something directed at children, but I simply do not understand this growing desire of parents to let the government do their jobs and actually trample on the rights and responibilities of parents.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 9:33PM tanooki equipped said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) first, get off your high horse. there is no way i am going to be drawn into a political debate on the "role" of government. second, how i raise my kids is none of your damn business. the point is I believe it is a good idea (much like enforced curfews) to make sure kids are off the internet at late hours. the end.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:22PM Irem said

@tanooki equipped
"second, how i raise my kids is none of your damn business."

You would support a law that makes a blanket decision as to what hours a child can play online games regardless of what their parents might think is best, yet you get defensive when someone asks you a hypothetical question and asks you to explain your position, telling them how you raise your kids is none of their business?

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:35PM augustgrace said

@tanooki equipped

I wasn't attacking the law but the protestors who were saying it was a civil rights violation.

But what could be the real penalty even if we could find a way to enforce a law like this? Or for that matter what penalty can Korea realistically implement?

In the end the punishment would really end up on the parents head, which brings up back to this being a parenting issue and not a matter for the government.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:42PM (Unverified) said

@tanooki equipped
You say it's none of my businesshow you raise your kids, yet you want the government to make laws so you don't have to make the rules which is in fact making it my business since in the US the government IS the people, ie you and me.

And if you think it's a good it's a good idea for kids to be off the internet late at night (which by the way I completely agree with), why are you unable to do so yourself and need a law to do it instead of you?

People seem to forget rights and responsibilities go hand in hand. The more responsibility you give to the government, the less rights we all have. First it's a law about kids not being on the internet late nights, which is harmless by itself, but government when given an inch never takes just an inch. They always go much much farther.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 11:24PM Space Cobra said

@augustgrace

"On the other hand, how could this law possibly be enforced? Perhaps things are different in Korea, but in the US I don't think I've ever had an mmorpg ask my age other than to agree to the tos, but even then a kid could click yes anyways."

In Korea, everyone has a government number issued to them that is similar to the U.S.'s social security number. I don't know the specifics, like how old one must be to get one, but it seems you get it at birth because a number of Korean MMOs ask for it to determine one's age.

Still, it is a bit easy to get around if one is smart enough through various methods.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 12:52PM jslim419 said

@Irem

In a Civilized Society we have laws that are for the Benefit of the community as a whole. Sometimes some citizens are affected by these laws negatively, but the community still prospers because of the law. if you can't understand that then you are obviously on the outside of Civilized Society.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 5:24AM Fabius Bile said

@tanooki equipped
I would actually support the government taking your kids away. laws shouldnt substitute good parenting practices in-house, and you seem to be unable to carry the most basic ones on your own.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:20PM themisanthrope said

Who needs parents when you have the government!?!??!!

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:23PM EndDream said

@themisanthrope Indeed, hopefully there will be laws soon governing what we think as well!

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:37PM Nevarky said

Not a terrible idea, but I think it's important for children to learn self control too, I used to spend my nights playing video games and watching tv when I was younger, but now I hardly play game at all, I have responsibilities. In my opinion the real issue is addiction itself.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:39PM fidhren said

I don't think it should be the video game company's job to enforce & regulate things like this, nor the government's. It is the PARENT'S responsibility to make sure their kids are not up til all hours playing video games. If your kids are up playing games after midnight then you are doing a shitty job as a parent. Its not the govt's job to raise peoples kids.

Also..to me it seems like laws like this are a step away from saying no one can play games between midnight-6am..but maybe I am jumping to conclusions there.

TLDR: Damn governments stop being nosy & Parents start doing a better job. :p

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM