Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:09PM DevilSei said

So... you pay for a grab bag that gets you, at most, a fancy new color of a class? Something I'm pretty sure could be done with powers when you make a class at the start (least I remember hearing about that...)

In addition, also hiding behind the bag pieces of customization items? Eh... it can't be as bad as selling ships in Star Trek, but I still see this as rather stupid in general.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:27PM Fakeassname said

@DevilSei

it's probably a "random box" type thing, where in you buy it but it only gives you a CHANCE to get the item in question and 99.9% of the time it either spits out low grade crap (like loot items) or flips you the finger and you get nothing.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:37PM ShivanSwordsman said

• 1 heart
@Fakeassname

if you're paying for this pukish pile of piss then you're hurting yourself. Get DCUO. Just do it. Just as fun, a lot less pointing and clicking, more action based, much more fun, and all the base power sets and abilities are open to everyone. Seriously.

The sheer fact that Cryptic can post positive results from this shows other companies they can screw you this hard too. Don't let them. Leave Champions Online, that's one more less person playing, one less more to group with.

I did it, and while the game was fun, it's not worth being a freemium gimp for the rest of my days. I'm not going to play a fancy little trial tooted as "free". Everyone only wants VIP players because they HAVE the best powers.

If you don't like this, stop falling for it, stop paying these jerkarses money, stop paying them to screw you over more. It's insulting to the rest of us gamers that they think we're walking wallets and that we'll spread our folds for anyone.

Posted: Nov 25th 2011 12:35AM Dblade said

@ShivanSwordsman its not a trial at all. You can level to cap, pvp, do many endgame activities, design costumes, and a lot more than many other pvp games without spending a dime. The only actual content that youd have to pay for are 3 adventure packs that take a couple hours a run, are 100% optional, and aren't required for anything else in the game.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 9:12PM (Unverified) said

Dude seriously if your into Champs sub and change your color whenever you want! If your bitchin bout this you have a problem...

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:12PM (Unverified) said

It's silver glitz, if you're Gold and want the AT just follow the leveling path and enjoy your 3 other Gold powers set to whatever color you want.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 12:08PM Tiresias said

@(Unverified)
There IS a reason to create an Archetype character on a gold account: PvP.

The Freeform Arenas are degenerate, with everyone taking powers like Force Geyser and a variety of "kill you now" combos that can cut right through a double-shielded, fully-stacked Defiance, CON/PRE PvP healer in seconds. Many of the Gold players have submitted much feedback on this issue, and while it is understood that people NEED to feel powerful in PvE, in PvP most everyone is interested in balance.

So a lot of Gold players (myself included) have an Archetype character that they PvP with in the Archetype-only Arenas. It's much more fun, even if there are probably a few too many people running around with the Behemoth Archetype.

Having said that, a Gold player can still hue-shift the colors of Archetype powers, and still have access to a suite of costume pieces.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 1:59AM Elikal said

Err... I just read up his powers... but wasn't that powerset in the game at lanuch already? I know I HAD these powers back then.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 3:31AM Revolting said

@Elikal Yes, as were all the powersets offered by Archetypes. Archetypes are not new powers, the are power sets purchasable by the freemium crowd, who are limited to specific builds. Full players (ie. subscribers) have always had access to all the powers.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 12:10PM Tiresias said

@Elikal
They just did a big review of the Infernal powerset, which was necessary before releasing an Archetype attached to it as it was in a sad state.

Having said that, the review wasn't that amazing. It still needs some work.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 3:25AM JonBuck said

I don't like the restrictive nature of the Archetypes, so I sub anyway. I just made a new alt using the new Internal powers to try them out.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 5:06AM Bolongo said

The AT is actually irrelevant IMO. The grab bag also has a chance of giving you costume items, that AFAIK you can't get any other way. This sucks big time. Buying a whole costume set for a fixed number of points, sure, I'm OK with that. But this is nickel-and-diming the players for just a CHANCE at gaining PART of a set.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 2:03PM Decados said

It's awesome that I keep getting e-mails for a game that proudly proclaims 'free and open power selection..no classes" and then in the same e-mail they tell me about the new AT/Class they have.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014