Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:08PM Vandal said

Thank you for mentioning that SWTOR really feels like every class is a pet class. That riles up the SWTOR fans but it's nice to see I'm not the only one who felt that way while playing the game.

RIFTS definitely has the advantage for those who don't really care to run pet classes.

( "If I had a nickle for every time I accidentally clicked him and heard him talk about being itchy" LOL My thoughts exactly! Though they might have taken steps in fixing that in the last build)

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 5:17AM Snichy said

@Vandal. Yeah I'm on the fence about playing TOR but the fact that every class has a pet/companion running around after them, really puts me off. Its the little (possibly trivial) things like that that will sway people like me whether to play or whether to stick with my current MMO (Rift).

Posted: Nov 29th 2011 11:08PM (Unverified) said

@Vandal Calling every class a pet class is somewhat inaccurate. To me, "pets" were always just an added dps that would occasionally hold aggro while you stand back and shoot/blast/etc. Companions compliment the class so the Inquisitor companion is a tank, he holds aggro far better than any hunter pet I ever had in WoW as an example.

Plus companions are integral to your story, some can be romantically involved if you wish. If you don't like them, just keep sending them on crafting or gathering crew skill missions. So you can go do your heroic stuff while they gather green goo for your biochem skill.

Posted: Dec 14th 2011 2:10PM kalipou134 said

@Snichy
To me Rift died long before SwtoR even came to be.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:15PM Scarecrowe said

While I am indeed leaving Rift for TOR, I believe that Rift is built on a stronger foundation (in terms of gameplay) than TOR. I've been playing Rift since before launch and believe that it will continue to be an excellent game especially if Trion keeps up the pace of new content creation. That said, I wish they would focus more efforts into bring new T1/T2 instances into the game. Since launch, we've just had CR added (granted that it is somewhat unique in Rift in its upper/lower versions so that's really like two T2s). But my group has sort of run out of interesting things to do that don't require large groups to get through so we're looking forward to moving on. I expect to return to Rift when I get bored of the shinyness of TOR... unless the new shiny that is GW2 comes out first!

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:15PM Lockisezmode said

• Half a heart
Will Rift survive? Depends, is your definition of survial becoming like Aion? If so, then yes it will retain enough subs to be D class MMO.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 2:58PM (Unverified) said

@Lockisezmode

You mean Aion which has the second largest P2P playerbase in the world?

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 6:07PM JaySpeed said

@(Unverified) 95% of which is based in Asia. How's Aion doing in North America??? I'm surprised Aion isn't F2P in NA yet.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:47PM Faction 3 said

@JaySpeed

It doesnt matter what region that money comes out of, champ. It all spends the same.

Asia or not, its a MMO with a monumental fanbase...can't deny that.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 5:19AM Snichy said

@JaySpeed. Oh I forgot. Asia and the rest of the world are trivial and un-important compared to the mighty North America.

/endsarcasm

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 7:30AM Gaugamela said

@JaySpeed

If you go by Xfire numbers Aion is quite well in the Western market.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:16PM (Unverified) said

I think Rift will end up shutting down a few servers, but in the long run I'm sure they will be fine. I like Rift, but I fall into the "I'm tired of Elves and Ogres" crowd.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:16PM Seffrid said

Existing MMOs survive new launches, it's what happens.

People will take a look at SWTOR as they do with any new release, during which time they'll maintain any existing subscription. Cash shop games may suffer greater loss of activity in that respect. Once the free month is up a good many players will go back to their existing game, again it's simply what happens.

I don't see any major impact on Rift from a financial point of view, it being a subscription game, albeit the servers might be a fair bit quieter for a while but I'm not even certain about that. People are jumping up and down assuming that SWTOR is the Second Coming - it isn't. It's coming across as an ok game for those that want a largely solo-oriented sci-fi game set in the Star Wars universe, and with people hitting the level cap on several characters in a few weekends of beta it isn't going to hold the attention of the masses for too long.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:22PM DerpMchurson said

FFS here we go. Throwing out the troll bait for page clicks again, AMIRITE?

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:33PM (Unverified) said

@DerpMchurson Yeah it really seems like massively is throwing out the flame bait articles right before the holiday break. Between this and the "let's crap on wow" thread they've got almost all the bases covered.

I know that's not what the tone of their articles ever is but surely they know the comments section always devolves into fanbois and trolls for every game they post about.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 5:15PM EuchridEucrow said

@DerpMchurson

Yep, was my thoughts exactly. Oh well, they like their pretty post counts I guess.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 5:23AM Snichy said

@DerpMchurson.....or you could argue that Massively is a site for discussion and they are just opening up a discussion that a lot of people want to discuss (whether positively, immaturely or irrationally)?

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 5:43AM DerpMchurson said

@Snichy It's certainly possible, yet given past articles, http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/16/the-anvil-of-crom-can-aoc-survive-the-old-republic/

It's just troll bait for page clicks.

Still waiting on your comparison/Armageddon article of Swtor and Prius, Jef. Since you know, they both have voice acting and shit.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:27PM kahnbloodbane said

yes I prepaid one year. and will continue to support rifts.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:32PM banks1990 said

I'll stick with RIFT as I like the fact that I have 5 roles to choose from for some of the classes. I'll say here that I haven't played SWTOR at all, but looking for the progression videos I don't think that you cannot choose to become more than 2 roles?

Personal story *might* sound interesting, but in the end, you will still be raiding and dungeon other than playing story. I think that impedes on the content output rate as they will have to get voice actors to put in every line for each classes and choices every patch/mini-expansion.

But that's doesn't mean it sucks, it's just not my cup of tea. I will still follow its progress though, as it interest me on how they are going(and how fast) to output the content compared to RIFT.

Both are good games, and both caters to different people. As are WoW and other MMOs.

P/S : Damn I hope people will stop telling RIFT to go F2P, is 13usd/month @ 3 month really that expensive? With the rate the contents coming out, I think it's really worth it. F2P will only slow the output rate down, and also make the content focuses on squeezing more $$ out from you.