Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 3:15PM Beau Hindman said

@Space Cobra It's basically a free for all PvP space game. Imagine Asteroids meets EVE, sort of. It's actually a brilliant model because of the accessibility. Big Point makes the money they do because they allow players to play from all sorts of setups. And, of course, because they sell advantages.

Really I am just reinforcing the point I always make about Big Point: they sell luxury items, just like a sports car or expensive watch. It costs money to play at a certain level in many of their games. I guess I just don't understand why people seem to have a hard time grasping what they do, being that we all have experienced purchasing luxury goods before.

Anyway, it's a fun game. It has a retro feel to it, but you can tweak on the ships and stuff.

Beau

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 1:22AM Space Cobra said

@Beau Hindman

"I guess I just don't understand why people seem to have a hard time grasping what they do, being that we all have experienced purchasing luxury goods before. "

Ah, well, I think I can tell you that (although you probably already know, at least unconsciously). People want a level playing field. Players, especially traditional ones, want a "fair playing field" or at least an illusion of such. If you work/grind 24/7, then they feel you deserve what you worked for.

Of course, other factors come in that they may or may not pay attention to. Time. Disposable Money. And a few others I can't think of atm. It's part of, IMO, the "fantasy space"; online is about making us all equal and those with 'work-ethic" (even though players playing 24/7 may not have a RL job to match such a "work-ethic"), are allowed to prosper from their gains. It's also like how the first Hard-Core players in Vanilla WoW did all these things first on their servers and thumped their virtual chests and felt glad they did...but when years go by and Blizzard opens up older, untouched dungeons for casuals, they get miffed because "those players didn't work-for-it/earn it."

Money, from my perspective, has always been polarizing in the game-play space because people want equality, but they don't always get the age-old connection time=money and those with time might as well be rich, even though people are working RL jobs (RL grinding) and using money shortcuts.

We can all understand the need to wanting an "equal footing for all" in our games and it rankles some that someone may (illegally) buy an EQ account off EBAY (before SOE stopped it) of a leveled-up character for so much money.

Also, for me (and maybe others), it can be admittedly hard to wrap one's head around a "virtual item" as opposed to a "real item". We can all see a sportscar (and maybe some of us are jealous, wishing it was ours). We all see the value, but one man's value is not equal to another's.

I mean, I have considered "bribing" some Devs just to get a totally different model in-game that no one else would have access to (yes, call me "Mr. Snowflake-Special"!). I don't think I could and I think ultimately it would be offered to others (because, like Filmation animatiors, Game Devs hate to see resources going to waste and re-use them eventually).

I think most of us do a cost-analysys on such virtual items and you can see it in some of the comments here, ("Honey, let's skip our house payment."). Basically, as usual, people are relating it to themselves, but this is true with any item out in the Real World. Someone sells a gold-plated Playstation3, I forget the price, b while I bet most players would like to own it, they consider the cost and say, "What does this *really* do that would be worth that much? I can by a normal, sensible PS3 for much less!"

People are putting themselves and their own values into this equation and not everyone can imagine such disposable income at their finger tips (and worse, some are so bad, that they tend to spend through any lottery winnings because they can't grasp that even lots of money is finite). In some ways, it's beyond their experience, but in others, its just being "practical" and looking at a car that does a good job but doesn't cost as much.

So, you have the "everyone should be equal" thinking, even though it may not accurately account for people with too much time on their hands, you have a bit of jealousy, and you have practicality concerns in relating such a purchase to their lives "Can I afford it? Should I even consider it? No, this is silly. It's just a game! Better to put that money toward a bill or savings or buying something.")

At least, that's my take on it.

I just ask people to examine themselves and not knee-jerk and point at things like, "the guy who has a million gamer points on XBoxLive" and so on.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:12PM nathanb said

I sure hope those transactions are taxed heavily.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:51PM Mikx said

There should be a treatment center for the people that bought this thing.

And it would be funny if they buy it and the game shuts down (or is deleted from the servers!) two weeks later.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:53PM (Unverified) said

ohh look, some talking head for a p2win shovelware company is spouting numbers with no proof. can't believe anyone listened, let alone believed him.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:59PM FrostPaw said

I see it, but I don't believe it.....there is no logic that someone who has that much disposable income would have that kind of money to throw away if that is the kind of thing they spend it on.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 2:25PM Oranuro said

Addicted Dark Orbit player-

Honey we need to sell the house and the dog so I can power own noobs in a browser game.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 2:25PM jimr9999us said

This is the kind of headline that scares the crap outta me as a gamer.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 6:20PM Azaetos said

BigPoint, everything you don't want in a game developer. This is one company that I will never touch even one of their games.

And BigPoint have confirmed that they have up to 2000 people with low self esteem who need to buy in-game advantages. It's a good thing their games are free because they will need more canon fodder on a regular basis. As soon as people realise they have little chance over P2W players they will move on.

This whole thing is like selling drugs to a drug addict. BigPoint have proven time and again that they have no ethics at all as a company.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 6:43PM Graill440 said

The stupidity of the human race never ceases to amaze me.

I have a rock i want to sell as a pet....no wait, thats been done.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 8:39PM Raaqa said

Is it possible to obtain cash via the market? Because if you can, it's probably the big market boys that purchased them with money they didn't actually pay for.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 9:07AM BGExorcist said

So they made enough money to support about 20 of these type of games for many years to come. And yes the world if full of rich and crazy humans. Too bad now games have become so much like real life - the people with the cash get the first spots and the right to destroy all weaklings in their path :)

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 1:06AM Snappyguy said

I wonder how many of those people didn't read the price right.

Posted: Nov 28th 2011 4:46PM Dblade said

I found this thread showing some of the cash shop prices:

If that's Euros, this game is a ripoff that cannot be believed.