Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:18PM Utakata said

Eliot Lefebvre wrote inaprt:

"Certainly there's no shortage of people looking forward to the new expansion, even those somewhat disappointed by Cataclysm."

...they may also be no shortage of people who will not step back into that game because of the new expanasion. Just saying.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:48PM Sorithal said

@Utakata

I'm honestly laughing my head off at the expansion.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 1:40PM DarkWalker said

@Utakata

If Blizzard does deliver everything they promised during Blizzcon (and don't muck other parts of the game), there is a good chance I would be willing to return.

In a game where one of the already existing playable races is space-faring goat man, and two of the others were steampunk-flavored comic relief, I don't see why anyone should be upset with a race of sentient pandas.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 5:25PM Tovrin said

@Utakata ... or the last expansion. While I've left and rejoined WoW a couple of times, Cataclysm killed it for me; I couldn't be asked even levelling one character to max level on that treadmill. It's getting old and tired and is not the game it was anymore.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 9:48PM Utakata said

@DarkWalker

You know there's one thing that would likely make me return. That is, and as I've discussed before, having multiple paths to progression in PvE similar to Wildstar or EVE instead of the raid or die path they have now. Hell yes, I would even swallow their needless crappy redesign of their talent tree if they did that. But that doesn't appear to be on their agenda. Rather raid or die now with Pokémon and Kung Fu Panda 's. /sigh

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 2:08AM BaronYiffington said

@Utakata Blizzard announced several different PvE progression paths at Blizzcon alone, likely more on release. They realize that the "raid or die" method of Cataclysm doesn't work. I've been playing for six years, and even I only log on twice a week or so now. It's boring.

Posted: Nov 24th 2011 4:12AM Utakata said

@BaronYiffington

I do remember them mentioning something about the current way of raiding isn't exactly cutting it in their preamble. But I don't recall them mentioning anything distinct outside of raiding as the primary progression focus. So what are these "several" different paths your are pertaining too?

Keep in mind, these would have to give the near or equivalent in rewards and gear as raiding, and upgraded anytime Blizz introduces a new tier patch. So if you're thinking of the new Poképets mini-game for example, that will unlikely cut it. Since that seems to be a fluff addtion similar to Archaeology and Achievements for those who get bored ingame, yet doesn't reward anything meaningful towards character progression.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:26PM smartstep said

So basically :

- further (wut? are you mad Blizz?) streamlined and simplified open world, questing and character build

- increased instances difficulty

And they wonder why this failed lol

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:33PM BigAndShiny said

@smartstep
What frustrates me is that it is easily within their budget to redo the entire graphics of the game, add voiced storylines, AND put in major dynamic events/more open PvP, but it seems like they can't even be bothered to compete with upcoming releases.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:39PM Lucidus said

@BigAndShiny Hold on there! How are Activision execs going add more ballrooms to their money palaces if they have to re-invest in their product??

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:43PM smartstep said

@BigAndShiny

Well amount of redo / new conent is one thing, but I think they went into wrong directions with changes.

Plus changing whoel graphics + major dynamic events and stuff would propably mean having to write whole new game engine.
VO - I don't presonally care for it, frequently even dislike especially if it is done in paraphrasing, voicing my character Dragon Age 2 way :/

Not gonna happen imho, don't think Activision / Blizz wanna put that kind of moeny and effort into this game.

Anyway I am not playing WoW anymore so I don't care that much.

WoW will sink, it has 7 years and many people are just tired of WoW-like gameplay.
Only question is: will it sink slowly and graciously or fast & pathetically?

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:48PM JordyChrist said

@smartstep I really hope it's the latter!

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 2:04PM BigAndShiny said

@JordyChrist
Blizzard make enough from WoW every month to build SWTOR.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 3:13PM JordyChrist said

@BigAndShiny I don't see the relevance

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 7:01PM Aelon said

@Lucidus

+1. I raided ICC for a year solid because they couldn't be bothered to add any actual content. Never again.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 10:08PM Utakata said

@smartstep wrote inpart:

"- rewarding 'hardcore' & old guilds while at same time indirectly 'punishing' new and / or social guilds."

This too was one of the very things that killed Cat for me.

Case in point: On my Alliance server I was involved with two guilds, one an established RP guild that raids and 10 person raid guild. Both lavished me with all sorts of bonuses and "privileges" because both guilds had mega high levels they accomplished in little over 2 months...because they where raiding, active and fairley big. It was like walking into a scene out of The Sopranos every time I logged onto my respected characters. And yet a small social/RP guild I helped establish on my Horde sever with 5 semi- active players, it took us about 4 *bleep*ing months to just to get to level 2...

...need I say more? This is obviously grossly disproportionate and wholly unfair. And it was pretty obvious that Blizz's message to the community that they where only interested in raiders. And for us who weren't, there was the door. So I took it. /shrug

Posted: Dec 17th 2011 11:38PM scorpianne said

The raid or die and become a mere cog in the guild raid machine is what killed EverQuest and drove alot of the masses to wow. Hardcore EQ fans used to rip wow as montyhaul, too easy, too casual and if you didnt camp an entire week nonstop for parts of your epic (like the cleric one) you didnt deserve it.

I hated quillamane! that $^&% pegasus!

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:30PM BigAndShiny said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)
See you in 6 months.
I can't wait to read the news that TOR has 10 million subscribers (obivously only in the west, as it's not even launching in Asia).

/s

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:38PM Lucidus said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified) LOL

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 12:38PM Lucidus said

Glad I got out when I did.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014