Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:36AM xero13 said

@Malagarr

Guess I understand where yer coming from, people with 9739^927 characters would be upset with this thing.

I'm having 2, maybe 3 max so not an issue to me.
I'm thinking there's some misinformation, they say your first character that does the quest chain chooses a surname for all characters on that server.
I think that's awfully narrow-minded for Bioware. I'm going to pretend it means that you chose a name for each of your characters and the ones that have the same surname help each others legacy system.
That would be the smart way to do it.

Id never put more than 2 characters on the same server anyway, especially of opposite faction, that ruins the surprises of attacks and such.

I do hope they change it up to chose surnames for each characters like your wanting.

Also your never going to leave your PC playing all those characters, go get some sunshine bro before all yer hair falls out.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 3:09PM (Unverified) said

Anakin stop being Skywalker

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 9:46AM dudes said

Leia Skywalker? Didn't happen. Just sayin'

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 9:54AM Arkanaloth said

I don't see it as an issue really...

...as a Role Player dating back to D&D (Yes before it was "Advanced"), I take the "Family" name a little less literally. For example in 7th sea there are quite a few characters who introduce themselves as DuPaix, the family name in this case is just an indication that they're from the Paix region of Montaigne, and translates to "Of Paix". I sorta look at it that way (granted it's a stretch, but that's ok).

...as a video gamer, it lets me know that if I toss someone on a blacklist and they show up on an alt.. the alt gets tossed on the BL too because I know it's the same person.

...and lastly you won't have to worry about your "name" being taken because your "Surname" will not be. All in all, I love the idea.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 9:59AM MustardCutter said

Is there an official write up somewhere? People seem to be interpreting the system differently.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 12:40PM Space Cobra said

@MustardCutter

Not much new detail has been written, but there were two Dev post written here. The first one was editted and initially caused confusion.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:09AM Pingles said

I think I understand (and agree with) WHY they are doing it but when I've RPd I don't think I ever had family ties between my toons. The whole idea was to make the experience as different as possible for me.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:13AM OutThere said

Without knowing anything more about it than two short sentences, it looks a lot like a mini-guild perk system. People who have a lot of alts and use the Legacy system (if that's the right way to think about it) look like they will advance in something or other and get some kind of something as a result. Something like LOTRO's Destiny Points or perhaps Rift's account-bound rift drops/rewards. If that is indeed the case--COOL!

For RPers, yes, this makes no sense and would be a turn off if they have multiple races--and who wouldn't? Time to put on the thinking caps and come up with a universal name and/or a baroque or Gothic background for your character(s) explaining why the family name is so . . . alien.

On the other hand, nice to be able to identify a player by his/her last name. This will certainly remove some of the anonymity from switching among alts. "You remember, I was on my tank Nick and you were on your healer Nora and we duoed that boss. Ya! Hi, again!" Could be very nice community-wise.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:13AM Rayko said

To be perfectly honest I think the legacy system is lame. I like that they tried to do something but I don't want all of my characters having the same last name just so I can get something for it game wise. Yes, you can toggle it but that still is still limiting. MMOs need to minimize unnecessary stifling of player's creative ownership of their character .

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:18AM Alluvian EstEndrati said

It looks like BioWare has conveniently ignored (or overlooked) how to use namespaces. As the article mentioned Ultima Online made use of these, but more modern MMOs like Champions Online also have this feature.

This use of 'legacy surnames' in this fashion is downright appalling.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:27AM Irem said

@(Unverified)
Skipping the whole last name thing and either a) making entire accounts ignorable to begin with, or b) instituting a handle system that's separate from character names would serve the same purpose.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:33AM Lucidus said

• 1 heart
It's Bioware wanting to encourage rerolling as the main end game system. Will it work? There's nothing in the beta build to suggest it's worth anything other than a static "last name" which doesn't make sense at all.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:34AM Irem said

If I'd been planning to buy the game, I can honestly say this would have turned me off of it completely. It's just RealID all over again, and any company that insists on tut-tutting at me for wanting control over who knows my alts and trying to hold my hand and make me be transparent about it like I'm their shy toddler who isn't making friends at day care fast enough for their liking probably doesn't need my money anyway. Given the track record of popularity for these kinds of things, I wonder why companies keep trying them.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:34AM Sorithal said

It'd be better if you could choose like... a legacy nickname or some sort of "group" that your characters could all be a part of RPly or something.

*shrug* But then again, meh. It works, even if the more heavy-duty RPers find problems with it.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:44AM Silverangel said

Ham-handed handle. +1 for fail as described. RP facepalm. Amused that the first few posts here call the characters "toons", which is ironic.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 10:59AM Vorender said

I'd only like it if they allowed you to accept invites into your character's "family", i.e., from my wfie.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 11:17AM dudemanjac said

Is it that hard to just allow ppl to put a space in their character's name? I was bummed when I spent all that time thinking of a cool Star Warsy name only yo find out i could fit it.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 11:18AM Clemalum07 said

• 1 heart
I like it should cut down on some of the trolls.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 11:22AM hereafter said

I like the idea of a Legacy system, with multiple characters contributing to some sort of shared progression. However, I'm not sure tying it into a surname system was the best idea. That said, it's better than no surname, so I can't complain much.

I suggest trying it this weekend and then leaving some kind of feedback, either on the forums or through the beta questionnaires they give during gameplay.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 12:29PM Space Cobra said

You know, at first, I thought this may be "RealID" and I am still thinking it is, but check this out:

The Original Dev post was editted. I don't know if it was a mistake made and someone needed coffee, but the Legacy Name was originally supposed to be Account-wide over all servers; that would suggest RealID.

After the correction, it is only one Legacy name per server and you can get a different Legacy name on a different server.

For those saying this cuts down anonymous trolling, I really don't think it does. Under the old system, you couldn't go to another sever because your Legacy Name would be the same. Under this system, you can. Also, you can HIDE your legacy name so, HOW the HELL does this hide people from trolling you or help track friends you want to pester that just want some quiet time? (And remember, WoW GMs can track your account anyway and I am sure SWTOR ones will do so, too.)

This really does NOTHING for RPers or those wanting to track Trolls. And really, most of us stay on one server with alts, PvE, PvP, or other. Yes, sometimes some of us use 2 or 3 extra servers, but you are still limiting options.