Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:03PM Leozin2357 said

• Half a heart
I want a real and complete MMO...

- Turn myself a member of another player's crew or captain in a BIG BATTLESHIP.
- Go to Skype and talk about the job of each one in the battle.
- Defend the Ship by ground (character battle mode inside ship) and air (ship battle mode).
- Be able to go INSIDE a planet after beating the players that are protecting it and battle on the planet (character battle mode inside planet).
- Good graphics like EVE.

Would be really cool to look tru the ship's windows and see a REAL battle going on, not just a fake space.

EVE and SWTOR arent even close to this.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:07PM SocksForYou said

@Leozin2357 I agree on the last part. I remember playing STO and wishing you could relax inside your ship while watching other people fly by outside. Would be even cooler to have something like that with a window in your CQ in Eve, but I guess that would be pretty difficult to pull off, tech-wise.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:15PM Leozin2357 said

@SocksForYou It would work as a camera and TV connected to it, the camera takes the images and transmits to the TV that are the windows.

I really think that is a VERY IMPORTANT PART seeing the interior of our ship and be able to give another players tasks on it.

The most of fiction movies show ships full of alive people doing your job to keep the ship working, why not doing a MMO if this feature?

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:29PM Threecubed said

@Leozin2357

Now that there's no NDA, in TOR, you can go in the ships and walk around and your companions will actually go to the workstation when you assign them to crafting something. You can't see other ships fly by, and it's not like STO, but it still feels like a ship. (I'm not sure if other people can board your ship yet or if that's after launch, but I'm sure it'll come eventually.)
It feels more like a ship than the Ebon Hawk did in KOTOR or the Normandy Mass Effect, because you actually get to watch when you go into hyperspace and you see the planets before you land.

It's not quite to the point you're talking about, but it's getting closer.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:43PM DancingCow said

@Leozin2357

I'd also be much happier if the ship / space mechanics were more substantial (my reaction to the current space combat was *yawn*) but I can understand why they're not. That's like a whole extra game.

Though IMO it should be a major contender for future development time.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:45PM Leozin2357 said

@Threecubed You're right. I actually LOVED Normandy on Mass Effect. It would be REALLY COOL to see that ship shaking in a battle and a lot of REAL people (not NPCS) running inside of it to do their jobs in the battle.

I didn't like TOR ship battle style, but i'll try.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:51PM paterah said

@Leozin2357 Because it's a movie? And it's incredibly hard to do it on an MMO and actually work? All these people with unrealistic expectations......

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 4:54PM sortius said

@paterah it's kind of annoying really. They want the game to be what they want it to be rather than what the designers intended.

Honestly, if you don't like it, don't play it. If it really gets to you, start your own company & build your own MMO. It's really not that hard, or at least you're portraying it to not be that hard (it is actually).

SWTOR isn't a space combat game, was never intended to be, hell, space combat wasn't even introduced until recently in the alpha/beta. Again, if you don't like it, don't buy the game.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 5:17PM DancingCow said

@sortius

"Again, if you don't like it, don't buy the game" and you mean to say "but shut up about it."

It's at least a nominally free world we live in and people can share what they like / don't like about things.

And while designers are free to design their game however they damn well like, if they want to turn a profit (most do) they have to design games which players enjoy and want to pay money for.

Leo is just saying what's missing in terms of what he'd want to pay money for.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 3:36AM (Unverified) said

@DancingCow

"they have to design games which players enjoy and want to pay money for."

They did. The game they made is going to be massively successful. If they took Leo's advice the game would take more time and money to make and work well than they would ever make in return. What he's asking for is simply unrealistic, ESPECIALLY since he's commenting and complaining about it in an Old Republic news story. TOR is not, and never tried to be anything even remotely resembling what Leo is asking for.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 6:04AM Leozin2357 said

@paterah I can have dreams and wishes right? That's what differs me from animals.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 3:18PM DancingCow said

@(Unverified)

"If they took Leo's advice the game would take more time and money to make and work well than they would ever make in return."

Take a look at my first reply to Leo's original comment :)

This doesn't change the fact that telling Leo to basically shut up and go play another game is rude.

Posted: Nov 21st 2011 3:48PM StClair said

@Leozin2357
Big problem with this, that I've seen in one of my first and favorite games, Puzzle Pirates:
Everyone wants to be the captain, or the gunner. No one wants to be the guy down in the hold (or Engineering) pumping bilge for two hours to keep the ship moving.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:04PM SocksForYou said

Can't wait for the inevitable rage from people who complain about getting killed while trying to craft/buy goodies in a clearly designated PvP area.

Also, that dude in the screenshot has some pretty cool armor. Can't wait to play as a bounty hunter.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:05PM jimr9999us said

Brilliant stuff. Rift, WoW, Aion will all lose pvp'ers to this one feature alone.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:10PM SocksForYou said

@jimr9999us Not necessarily. If it's anything like other games with open Pvp zones, people will avoid them and most of their PvP in instanced battlegrounds. : /

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:23PM Threecubed said

@SocksForYou

I don't remember many games that tried to encourage "real" world PvP with rewards aside from early WoW with the Stranglethorn Arena + chest aside from Warhammer with their PvP lakes. (which I haven't played, unfortunately)

Most of the time, world PvP is mainly of interest to the thrill seekers or killers. With decent rewards in an area that isn't scripted like Wintergrasp or Tol Barad, maybe people will care more.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:37PM SocksForYou said

@Threecubed Granted, I only played it at launch, but Fallen Earth had open PvP zones with mats you could gather (and maybe some other bonuses) and I almost never saw people around.

I once shot and killed some guy standing in the middle of one of those zones and he got pretty pissed lol

I'm glad they're doing this for TOR but I have doubts about this working on a PvE server. I think people who are mostly turned off by PvP will avoid these places because the PvP fans will likely be hanging around hungry for action.

I'm not even that big into PvP but I'm going to play on a PvP server in TOR, just for the extra thrill of knowing a fight could always break out...anywhere.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:37PM DancingCow said

@jimr9999us

I think you're right about it being a brilliant move.

It caters to 'hard-core' pvp-ers in a way that doesn't ruin the game for others. This kind of (segregated) free-for-all pvp area is a really smart idea.

Still waiting on them to announce payment model details, but this news does make me a little more favourably inclined towards the game.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:09PM Daverator said

That armor looks very Champions Onlineish.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014