Posted: Nov 18th 2011 6:35PM Issmir said

@Beltyra

If the level of innovation they'd added was as huge as a car that runs n water, then yes, I'd be impressed. But I put it to you that the direct comparison would be "hey, Beltrya! Ford just released a car that talks to you a lot!".

The actual game struck me as a rehash of existing concepts. The addition of voice throughout the game is indeed different, but really didn't feel like any kind of innovation - particularly when there are two games coming which are asking fundamental questions on what an MMO should be and what it does and does not need which also have the full voice over. I don't think that's my expectations being too big. I think it's my not caring about the main focus of the game, which tells me that this is the wrong game for me.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:57PM EuchridEucrow said

As I recall, the final boss in Bringing Down the Hammer was the first tough fight I ran into playing through lower levels. It also was a good showcase on how a ranged tank can have an advantage over a melee one.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:03PM Brombz said

From my time testing, I can say this is a well made game. The story elements are excellent. If you are not a fan of the Themepark, Hotbar style of MMO, then this one will not be for you. I have a feeling that the vast majority are still OK with this and thus this game will do well - especially with casual players who will be checking this out not as an MMO fan but a SW fan. The graphics are good, the frame rates were smooth for me with my middle of the road system. The story really drew me in more so than any other MMO I have ever played and made me feel closer to my character than I ever have. There was plenty of group content even in the starter zones, but if you want to play this one Solo there is plenty for you to do as well. It is not going to reinvent the MMO Genre, but with the story options it is more than just Wow in Space. I also found the PVP to be fun - be it at lower levels.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:10PM Mtor said

• Half a heart
Imagine WoW with only humans as the race choice, half the classes, 25% of the content, clunky combat, less polish and instancing/phasing all over the place. That pretty much sums up TOR.

To be fair, the voiceovers and cutscenes don't get annoying until about level 15ish. Spacebar is your friend.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:21PM KvanCetre said

@Mtor
Oh look, its Mtor, making up things as usual.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:23PM Lucidus said

• 1 heart
@KvanCetre How about providing a coherent rebuttal instead of going all Chris Crocker?

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:24PM (Unverified) said

@Mtor

WoW also has better poop quests.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:33PM EuchridEucrow said

@(Unverified)

This is true.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:35PM EuchridEucrow said

@Lucidus

Uggh, hate to agree with Lucidus on this but it would be nice if all sides would make better use of your freedom from the N.D.A.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:40PM KvanCetre said

@Lucidus
Not much of a need, Mtor has always been sort of a dull version of Ren54. Plus, its annoying to type a full rebuttal on a phone, but let's examine.
In WoW, you have multiple races. But, everyone on said race looks the same. All tauren, orcs, dwarves, and gnomes look the same. This is not true in TOR. There is a valid opinion that in armor, they will all have about 4 different apperances, however.
Classes, there are 8, just like WoW launched with (due to faction locked classes). If you try to argue an Assassin and a Sorcerror are the same, you haven't played either.
Combat is the smoothest I've experienced in an mmo. In WoW, you stand at your target and bash them in. In Tor, my Shadow was deflecting blaster bolts with the lightsaber while deflecting blows from a vibrosword. My enemy would actually bend backwards to avoid my saber swings. My basic attack would actually animate with special killing blows.

Instancing "all over the place" seems to be one small room every now and then.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:53PM Mtor said

• 1 heart
@KvanCetre Geez, and you're accusing ME of making things up? Combat is the smoothest you've experienced in any mmo? Have you played anything besides TOR?

The lack of class selection is laughable. Literally you'll get to the capital city if your Republic and only see 3 classes walking around: bounty hunters, agents and jedi. They're all humanoid and they all look the same.
You can't go 5 feet without seeing someone who is your exact clone, down to the gear and same stupid companion and title.

And yes, there are instances all over the place. By level 10 I had already run into numerous "story area" instances. The starter planet I was on was phased. I was talking to people in gen chat but couldn't see them because there were in a different phase.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 4:26PM (Unverified) said

@Mtor

Ergh, hate to piss on your fireworks buddy but the agent and BH are Sith, not Republic. Have a cookie for effort though.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 4:50PM Mtor said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified) They're actually Empire, clownshoes.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 4:54PM Celtar said

@EuchridEucrow

Agreed, I'm getting of the fanboi's who slam those who post critical remarks. At least "most" of those who are posting critical posts are "listing" why they don't like SWTOR.

Personally as someone who went and snagged the collectors edition, I'd love to hear as much feed back listing what you like and what you don't and why.

Puremalaces's post on the SWTOR Forums have me seriously concerned at this point. His bulleted remarks if true are great cause for me since If true I agree with his concerns.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 5:14PM Celtar said

@Celtar meant to say "tired of " Damn lack of edit button.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 5:45PM (Unverified) said

@Mtor

That was your response to a massive failure of an observation? A technicality? GG.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 8:28PM (Unverified) said

@Celtar Puremallace? Lol, Haven't you read any of his posts here and on other sites? The guy is a hardcore Rift fanboi, ALL of his posts have been bashing other MMO's that aren't Rift and that he sees as threats, and the vast majority of posts have been a mix of truths, half truths and downright lies, with the downright lies being a considerable part of them.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 11:13PM uberman3000 said

@(Unverified) For the win

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 10:40AM Celtar said

@(Unverified)

Yeah my error, he presented his concerns in a valid manner, and "if" they had been true, would have indeed been valid concerns. I learned later that he was trolling, twisting facts and lying.

Honestly I don't read the SWtOR bbs or most bbs anymore. Too much chaff and not enough of merit to read. Massively does have trolls but usually its not to hard to figure out which are and ignore them when they post under the articles.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:20PM silver001 said

• Half a heart
Reading some of the post about a negative article about swtor made me laugh. The fanboys justification for some of the problems is that, other MMOs do it, which while is technically valid to some degree doesn't justify it. Other post is how stupid everybody else it for writing something negative about the game.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly