Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:44PM ijoemomma said

As a wow person and someone who didn't have high expectations for this game, I'll say this.
I've never played an MMO I've enjoyed more than this game. Sure it doesn't re-invent the genre but it fixes a lot of whats broken.
IF you are the type of person who just wants to rush to the end to sit on your mount to show people how awesome you are, this game isn't for you.
If you like to feel like your a part of something. I suggest giving it a try.

It reminds me of how awesomeone the DK starter area was.But after you finished you were just dropeed in the middle of nowhere. This is the opposite. You are always on your class quest and just following along with the story.

Not everyone will like it, but i sure do.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:44PM Seldra said

I was actually expecting them to lift it just a week before but this is great, I can't wait to learn more about this game from more recent beta testers. Holding off on purchasing till I get get all the info I can possibly grab.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:45PM Daverator said

You can have lesbian sex!

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:51PM Lucidus said

@Daverator Only after launch. Although as a smuggler you can have some "quality time" with a Sith after you kill a Jedi on Tatooine.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:05PM Issmir said

@Daverator

I guess I CAN have lesbian sex, but the amount of money I'd need to spend on a sex change kind of kills the mood.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:52PM aurickle said

I have a love/hate relationship with the game at this point. It looks good. It performs well overall. The class storylines are really awesome. Social Points provide incentive to group. These are all positives for me.

BUT

... There are still a lot of bugs. Jumping onto a moving elevator only to fall through it. Camera going wonky during cut-scenes. Odd things like that. Bugs get ironed out with time, though and hopefully most of them will be gone by launch. I can overlook this for the most part.

... Getting my first companion who tied in with the story was really awesome. Seeing every other player of my class with the exact same companion kind of sucked the awesome factor right out of things. Why no option to rename your companion? Why don't items that you equip on them affect their appearance, letting you make it so they don't seem like everyone else's?

... Along the same lines it's really odd to see a AAA MMO coming out in 2011 that lacks many of the features that other MMO's have. For example, you get a ship but it seems you can't do anything to customize its appearance. All the furnishings are fixed in place. It's clearly the game's equivalent of player housing, but it blocks one of the key reasons people get into player housing. There's also no appearance tab for your character. What you equip is what you look like, even if you hate the look. Nor can you dye or otherwise customize anything you wear.

These sorts of things smack of missed opportunities. The problem is that without them the game really feels like WoW in Space. That may have been the recipe that made Blizzard successful but it's also the recipe that's causing WoW to bleed subs 6 years later. I'm not convinced it's a recipe that will cause SWTOR to be anything other than a waypoint for most of us to bide our time with until GW2 comes out with true innovation.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:01PM EuchridEucrow said

@aurickle

Yeah I can confirm the through the elevator floor thing. I ALMOST fell through but was able clip on something and hop out after sinking about knee deep.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:02PM aaradun said

@aurickle eh note sure what you saying, but when i equipped item on my companion it affected their apperance. I know first weekend this didn't work but second it did.

And a lot of bugs you were complaining about i didn't notice (well wonky camera yes)

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:20PM KvanCetre said

@aurickle
You can't rename companions because their names are spoken.
Also, what right do you have to name them? Thats a parents right :p

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:25PM Lucidus said

• 1 heart
@KvanCetre Given how some parents name their children and how some people name themselves in game... that's a dubious right!

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 5:41PM Space Cobra said

@aurickle

1) "Why no option to rename your character?"

Of course, as someone said earlier, since we have Voiced cinematics, this would be a problem if you named your companion "Fred" and the Voice-Overs called them, "Vette". I think that would break immersion, especially on a personal level.

There is an option in the "Options/Preference" window to visually block out the names of other companions, so you see instead, "So-n-So's Companion" instead of their name.

2) "Why don't items that you equip on them affect their appearance, letting you make it so they don't seem like everyone else's? "

Someone above answered this; you can. They accept dropped armor. Also, when you initially get a companion, it gives you a choice of accepting 3 different colored/looking sets of clothing. I tend to either pick #2 or #3 and equip those immediately.

Also, don't forget, they showed we could change the faces/skin-color/hair of our companions; I did not see this in-game during my last "cup of coffee" (last beta-test), but I think we will see it by launch-time.

3) "...you get a ship but it seems you can't do anything to customize its appearance. All the furnishings are fixed in place."

I agree here. It's disheartening, however, I feel that after Launch, Bioware will add code that let's us do this. There are several reasons I believe this, one is the companions and how they will let us customize their looks. Two is that space is basically your personal instance and so is the inside of your spaceship (you are not flying around with other player's ships).

I am very sure they just have many, many other basic things to nail down before launch-time, so they have to let things slide and concentrate on the core-gameplay atm. I can't say WHEN we will see spaceship interiors/exteriors customizable: It may be a month or even a year after launch, but it will eventually be put in, especially if players ask for it.

4) "There's also no appearance tab for your character. What you equip is what you look like, even if you hate the look. Nor can you dye or otherwise customize anything you wear."

Okay, you got me on "Appearance Tab". I didn't see it in my session and the scuttlebutt I hear from forum posts has Bioware unfortunately shaking their heads at it. However, I have seen them go for and against it. Basically, they want you to look like the class, but all your armors should look like your class, right? The artists should be proud to show off ALL their work. Really, I can only compare at lower levels and speculate at higher. I've heard this "song and dance" of, "We have LOTS of graphically different armors to chose from," but in practice, people "eat" through those and they don't. I think it you keep posting/asking on the forums, they may change this. Just keep asking. Again, atm, they are busy just launching the thing.

As for color: I have heard that we CAN choose our colors, at least one Primary color that affects all our armor (legs, chest, etc.) so there may not be any Red chest plate and Green leg-guards. (Of course, what if I want "Blue Jeans" and a red "shirt top" for my smuggler? ;P ). Granted, in-game, I couldn't/didn't see this but I have heard it will be in-game at launch and really, that's common sense if they are going to restrict our armor looks for the time being.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 6:08PM Celtar said

@KvanCetre

Way to be a caustic fanboi and ignore the valid point about the companions. :/

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 6:22PM Celtar said

@Space Cobra

Thanks for the info SC, informative. :)

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 7:27PM aurickle said

@Space Cobra
Thanks for the info.

While I do understand that you can't outright rename an NPC due to the voice work, there's nothing to keep you from giving a nickname to the character with that nickname then being visible to others and/or yourself instead of the official name.

Regarding the NPC outfits, what you're describing is something I did not see in the game this past weekend. Of course it's also possible I was just seeing the results of another bug. While Khem Val (my Inquisitor companion) looked appropriate in a loincloth and little else I was thinking it odd that Mako was running around in her underwear! So it's good to know that it was a bug -- assuming the bug gets fixed.

As for the appearance look/clothing choices for them, I experienced no such thing. If it's in, great. I just didn't see it.

Regarding personal appearance, a dye system wouldn't hurt gear appearance or progression. In fact, my time with LotRO tells me the exact opposite. A significant percentage of the gear in that game looks better when dyed and always has, yet even when dyed the piece still retains the exact same sense of "look" or style as before dying. Same goes with other games I've seen with dye systems. In fact, WAR took SWTOR's approach of very distinct gear styles for each class, yet had dyes from the very start. It retained the distinct styling while still allowing personalization. If in fact what you've heard is accurate and you can choose colors for your character, that's great. The thing is, neither of us has seen it in game yet so I still have to classify it as rumor rather than fact.

Going back to the broad scope of my argument/impressions I guess I can best sum it up as follows:

SWTOR is a very ambitious game in one way: the voice acting. However, that ambition appears to have come at the price of skimping in other areas. Does the voice acting provide enough of a difference for SWTOR to make it stand out as a more enjoyable game than the many, many other MMO's on the market now? Or would the game have perhaps been better served by trying to innovate more on systems as well as incorporate a few more things that have become a staple in today's MMO's?

My gut feeling at this point is that the voice acting was a ballsy move by BioWare, but ultimately one that will not pay off. At the end of the day I suspect that the game will feel lacking compared to the competition. Style over substance, so to speak. And that will pose a big problem for the title after the first six months.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 9:30PM jslim419 said

• Half a heart
@aurickle

"All the furnishings are fixed in place. It's clearly the game's equivalent of player housing, but it blocks one of the key reasons people get into player housing."

oh god.. the last thing we need is another Interior Decorating Sim like SWG was.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 1:33PM prfella said

@aurickle

I agree with the nicknames for Companions wholeheartedly.

Ahsoka to me is the prime example of a companion from the clone wars saga. Her nickname is "Snipps" but that is not her official name. Her official name is Ahsoka Tano. She is referred to her as Snipps mainly by her Master, Anakin Skywalker. Some other characters referred to her as Snipps, but not as much as her real name, and not as much as Anakin does.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:53PM awitelintsta said

I tested it. I like it more than I thought I would, being extremely indifferent to the Star Wars IP. The art style was better than expected. The cutscenes were nice, but got repetitive, especially if you've played the Mass Effect series - you've seen all those animations before! Combat was... well, I tried it at PAX 2010, and a year later, in beta, it felt almost exactly as wooden; serviceable at best.

Still, I didn't find anything that would keep me longer than a standard 2-3 month jaunt to max level, and I don't have the money to drop on a $60+sub title for something that won't last. There are too many other free or low-cost options out there now when it comes to MMOs to convince me to buy this sort of game at launch.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 4:00PM (Unverified) said

@awitelintsta

I got the chance to play in Beta for a couple of months. I found that the different storylines really added to the amount of playability in the game.

The graphics were better than I was expecting as well. What I really was surprise was just how much fun I had playing Huttball. Huttball plays very differently than a standard CTF scenario. I think the value is there for me .

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:55PM Issmir said

WOOTS! I can TALK!

I really wanted to like this game. I REALLY did. I tend to like sandboxes more, but it's all good. High budget sci-fi MMO, let's give this beta a shot...

I hated every second of it. I mean *every* damn second.

It will do well financially, and plenty of people will adore it. I would have to be paid to play it.

Long story short, they emphasize everything I don't care about in modern MMOs, ignore everything I DO care about and the only real innovation I found was that it's fully voiced. since there are two other fully voiced MMOs coming out soon, I remained non-blown away.

However, if you love TOR, good on ya.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 6:29PM Beltyra said

@Issmir
"Hey look Ford just came out with a cheap reliable car that runs on water!"
"So? Chevy is in the works to make one too. Im remaining non-impressed..."

Oh gamers. Your level of expectations reach to a galaxy far, far away and back.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM