Posted: Nov 18th 2011 10:26PM DancingCow said

I like the sound of this.

The original faction wheel was interesting and a bit different but in practice it dragged the game down.

Spinning-the-wheel to get all the faction rewards just cheapened the whole faction arrangement.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 5:19AM EuchridEucrow said

Good. One of the major reasons I stopped playing this game was that it was becoming apparent that choosing one faction over another didn't seem to make much of a difference in the game. I am glad they decided to do something about this.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 8:41AM Impenitent said

I thought that was how it was supposed to be. Reading about the factions and the faction wheel sure makes it seem that way.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 10:43AM Yazel said

Really don't like the sound of this. I love how the shoulder factions work in the lore and I'd like to see factional PvP doing a better job of supporting that - it's always been a bit of an issue.

But it looks like they've decided it's easier just to give up on it altogether. I want to find out a bit more but if it means what I think it means then I guess I'll be staying away from faction PvP.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 3:09PM DancingCow said

@Yazel

It's interesting in theory but too fiddly in practice.

Remembering that you lose twice the opposing faction rep for what you gain.

You're a Vista - shouldered with Lightbringers and CHOTA. Opposite is Techs, shouldered with Enforcers and Travelers.

You kill a Tech player. You earn Vista, Lightbringer and CHOTA rep. You lose Tech, Enforcer and Traveler rep. All good.

You kill an Enforcer - nominally an enemy - you earn CHOTA, Vista and Traveler rep and lose Enforcer, Tech and Lightbringer rep. Not so good. Lightbringers are nominally your friends.

It means that if you don't stick to just killing Techs in PvP you risk falling out of favour with your own allied factions. Eventually you'd have to grind faction rep on PvE mobs to fix reputation lost from killing enemy players in PvP. A bit silly.

This change fixes a real problem.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 4:37PM Yazel said

@DancingCow

Oh, I agree there's a real problem now :) I'm just not sure this is really a fix.

The dev blog says, "if you kill a Tech, you will only gain Vista faction," but it doesn't say you have to be a Vista for that. It sounds like an Enforcer who wanted positive Vista faction could go around attacking Techs and most Techs would probably still want positive Enforcer faction so they couldn't fight back without the risk of taking a hit.

If Techs could only gain Tech faction and lose Vista in PvP then I agree it would be a fix. That's what I mean about wanting to find out more, but even then it comes at kind of a high cost. Anyway, it's not what I'm reading.

I always thought it would be better if they based it on faction theatres of operation. That way you could choose which axis you're fighting on. If you're a Vista and you don't want to lose Lightbearer faction then you can stay out of Enforcer and CHOTA theatres. The dynamic faction-control icons they're adding would fit in perfectly with that.

Posted: Nov 19th 2011 10:16PM jimr9999us said

I thought the original faction system was little bit too hc. Really curious where the game will stand 6 months from now but it looks like there are some quality designers working on it.