Posted: Nov 17th 2011 8:40PM chum said

You have more than 14 ounces of gold in your jewelry box? At over $1700 an ounce I suggest getting a safety deposit box. I had forgotten about that show- made me cringe when they went to the sister for a "loan". On topic, sadly I think I've been in more guilds that were like these guys than not.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 10:34PM smg77 said

Every time I hear about Jack Hoffman and his gloryhole it makes me smile.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 10:49PM Tinsel said

You're all in T3 Armor already, you just gotta get it outta the loot tables.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 10:59PM Thojorkill said

"glory"

HOLE!

Gotta love the Sr. Hoffman's fat assed kid with the wraparound sunglasses and shaggy goatee... (btw, this is what EVERYONE in Oregon that wears cartharts to work looks like)

His line of bullshit is staggering - I swear... I promise.... Just one more time... blah blah blah...

What we lack in experience, we more than make up for in arrogance and self-confidence.... (also an Oregon motto)

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 11:08PM (Unverified) said

I miss when Discovery and the History channel weren't full of crappy reality shows.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 11:59PM Seldra said

@(Unverified)
Ya it all started with TLC, now even the Science Channel has crap called "pumpkin chunkin"...sigh

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 11:33AM Gamewench said

@(Unverified) Same here =) Not to mention that they all have a certain drama factor that seems canned. Operation Repoesque crapola

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 11:59PM sortius said

One thing you missed is: KNOW YOUR CLASSES!

Any Guild/Raid Leader/Officer should know every class inside & out. Without knowing the capabilities of the classes you are raiding with, you don't know where things are lacking, or what you can do to change your strategy to get the win!

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 12:13AM Dabheid said

Never seen the show (yes, I lead a sheltered life) but I've been in and seen guilds run like this unfortunately.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 2:55AM Skyydragonn said

I was just watching this show tonight actually and If i were them I woulda killed that guy...they spend a whole seasons digging that hole with an estimated 15mil in gold...and he bought it out from under them after they did the work.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 9:30AM (Unverified) said

The twos problem I see with guilds in every MMO, is everyone thinks they can run one succesfuly. And everyone who is part of one waits around for someone else to do something.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 10:38AM Hipster said

Good article. Good show too.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 10:39AM (Unverified) said

guilds are based on pyramid scheme dynamics.

this season has a 17 year old doing better than the hoffmans.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 11:04AM Yukon Sam said

I grew up in Alaska. I love Alaska. But I fail to see why television producers have to dig up some of the oddest and dumbest of my countrymen and give them their own TV series.

But yeah... a guild is a real-world organization of real people. Why wouldn't the same principles apply? Because your goal is virtual and the people are effectively anonymous? That makes it more important to understand and practice good organizational skills, not less.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 11:30AM Gamewench said

" You can't just fill up your roster and expect that your guild goals will suddenly happen. "
Amen to that. I don't know how many countless times I've had guild invites shoved in my face as well as heard other people complaining about certain guilds doing blind invites.