Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:08PM belgeode said

Ok I am officially DONE with SWG now. (Of course I have said this every year for 4 years of the 8 I been subbed) Where was this when JTL was launched? Bioware, can you please up the beta weekend to this weekend for me, Not sure I can handle another week of this SWG stuff.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:20PM (Unverified) said

Well this sounds awesome. I want things like this to happen in SWTOR!

That and SWTOR would be 20 times better if it had an action combat system instead of hot key mechanics.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:27PM Yellowdancer said

@(Unverified)

You will never see this in TOR

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:33PM (Unverified) said

@Yellowdancer I know I wont. Which is why I am so disappointed in SWTOR.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:56PM Resurge said

@(Unverified) i cant wait till 5 years from now, and everyone is like "why are all my MMO's stupid action combat?? If i wanted that, I'd play Force Unleashed 7 on xbox720!"

Action based combat has it's place, but it's place is not EVERY MMO that gets made. Some are action, some are tab/hotkey ..i dunno why everyone thinks action combat is the savior of the industry. Plenty of hotkey based MMOs do quite well, there is no need to completely change every single MMO to some new thing.

How about we allow everyone to have games they like to play?

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 7:10PM (Unverified) said

@Resurge I doubt people in five years will be against more immersive combat.

I agree 100% that hot key mmos can do well and that some people prefer it. I tell me friends who love grinding hot key MMOs the same thing i tell my friends who are addicted to COD 17.

To each his own.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:02AM bobfish said

@Resurge

And the whole... five or so action combat MMOs on the market are an indication of the direction of the whole genre?

We're asking for more because 99.9% of the MMOs aren't action combat, they all have dice rolls and hotbars full of actions with cooldowns.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 3:03AM jslim419 said

@(Unverified)

"Yes the voice acting is good, and yes there's an engaging story, but game play wise i feel like SWTOR could learn a lesson from SWG."

what? what lesson? you mean adding in features in the final weeks of the game that should have been in the game five years ago?

maybe you are some kind of backwards genius, but it's SWG's lackluster gameplay why no one but a small handfull of people have played it in over three years.

jesus christ it took them nearly two years after launch to actually add content to the game aside from mission terminals.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 7:12AM DancingCow said

@bobfish

Yeah - I'm so over 1 1 1 3 2 1 1 1 cooldown driven combat.

There was a time when SWTOR was claiming to use almost no cooldowns and back then I was really interested. Seems they moved away from that though :(

Love this SWG change. With them closing down they can afford to throw caution to the wind and do potentially wildly unbalanced stuff like this. I'm glad they are.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 11:48PM corpusc said

@Resurge guess you forgot Force Unleashed isn't an MMO.

being an MMO is not a trivial or minor aspect of a game.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 11:55PM corpusc said

@Resurge

if you REALLY wanted people to have the kind of games they wanted you wouldn't say something like this.

only an EXTREMELY tiny fraction of the 400 or so MMORPGs that exist have any action elements at all. none of them are pure action which is what somebody like me is waiting for. they are all junked up with a bunch of RPG elements that i hate.

so you have something like 350 of the traditional types you like, and yet you are getting mad that people like me are getting some glimmers of hope here and there.

you've had your types of games for about 14 years now. its time *I* get some MMOs that i can stomach. don't be mad about it.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:25PM J45neoboy said

I am really and truly sad and will always regret never playing SWG.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:27PM DarthDan said

You've got to be kidding me....

Twisting the knife indeed....

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:28PM Yellowdancer said

@DarthDan

I actually think this is SOE's way of giving the middle finger to LA and Bio. No way TOR's engine can do the things SWG's does.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:32PM Space Cobra said

@Yellowdancer

Maybe. I know they planned these patches awhile back. This seems more like busywork and just wanting to operate/work until the "last call".

I am sure SOE "gracefully" accepted LucasArts (via EA) to stop, but they are probably griping about it; the game had a decent sub base.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 6:37PM DarthDan said

@Yellowdancer

Oh, I have nothing but praise for SOE. My vitriol is reserved for LucasArts. I would have played TOR until they forced SWG to close on the misguided belief that it would increase their profit margin for SWTOR. Now I won't ever play TOR on principal alone, not with SWG's blood on its hands. Features like this just go to show how SWG, with its dying breath, offers an experience like no other MMO. It's like watching the last rose wither in a field of weeds.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 7:52PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Yellowdancer

*Checks Yellowdancer's credentials as a software engineer and his CV as a prolific game engine developer with extensive experience in the hero engine.*

Seems legit guys.

I also would like to say that Yellowdancer's crystal ball is entirely authentic and has the ability to tell the future. In fact I used it two weeks ago to find out who would win all the sports games in the world, placed massive bets on those with the best odds and made 3.5 million dollars. This week I am going to use to place massive short sells on stocks as well as currencies. Thanks for letting me borrow your crystal ball Yellowdancer!

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 9:21PM stealthrider said

@(Unverified)

The Hero engine was designed for a ground-based experience. SWG's engine was designed with JTL in mind.

TOR's space combat was designed separately from the ground game with minimal integration, making a development like this incredibly difficult for BioWare to implement. Considerably more difficult than it must have been for SoE.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 9:22PM Zantom said

@DarthDan

I agree. This is painful. Having atmospheric flight alone was a knife in the eye. This?! Why must they hurt us even more by making SWG amazing before they shut it down???

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 10:36PM smg77 said

@Yellowdancer
Nah, it's another way for Smed and the boys to give the middle finger to SWG players. How many times over the years since launch did players ask for this and then they finally put it in game days before it shuts down? Dick move...

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM