Posted: Nov 17th 2011 10:15AM Teknogrebo said

I'm not going to say that Rift is the best game ever, but the constant updates have kept me playing, and I've been looking forward to this update for a few weeks now. I love exploring, so a whole new island with loads of quests will be great. I dipped my toe in earlier today and took part in a zone invasion which had me running all over the island. The end encounter was a bit predictable being another tank and spank, but it was still fun joining in with all the other players experiencing it for the first time.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 10:18AM Silverangel said

Looks amazing. Will look forward to seeing this when I have a new computer. For some reason I thought the bound planars of the Kelari on their island were not exactly their friends and allies--more like slaves. Maybe I'm getting them confused with the ancient Eth.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 10:56AM hami83 said

Loving it....Kind of. lol I went there and ran around and got my arse handed to me by the mobs.
I'm only in rank 2 PvP gear and have an event weapon so that probably explains it, but man, when they said it was for experienced 50s, they weren't kidding. :P

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 11:11AM Dunraven said

• Half a heart
I can appreciate what TRION is doing here...but this is a F2P game trying to stay in a P2P space. After playing TOR with it's Big Cinematic cut scenes performed by professional voice actors, not to mention it's sweeping story line that are right out of a EU Novel; there is just no way I can justify 15.00 a month for a MMO with 1998 mechanics.

Find the vending machine with the Arrow over his head skip the text and go kill ten X just doesn't cut it anymore...and right now Trion is listening to a handful of TOR haters believing they can still be competitive when they need to be going F2P.

LIke WoW (who is already hemorrhaging millions of subscribers) Trion will face a significant drop in sub rates when TOR launches but unlike Blizzard they won't have the Asian pro grind market to fall back on.

Either way RIFT is bound for F2P.....I just wish they would do it on more measured terms and not wait until 80% of their audience is off playing TOR.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 11:26AM Gaugamela said

@Dunraven

No it's not a F2P game.
It brings content like no other game does, it has dynamic content in a way that SW:TOR doesn't, and offers flexibility in a way that is also lacking in that game.
Also the sub price is lower than 15$.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 12:49PM real65rcncom said

@Gaugamela
I didn't see a lot of dynamic stuff though.

All the rifts spawn in the same exact spots, all the invasions come to the same exact spots. All the world events are parodies of the previous one which a change of color, but the same town quests.

What part of Rift was the dynamic part again? /scratches head

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 9:40AM monkey80 said

@Gaugamela

Not every one likes Stars Wars Dude. I cannot stand it. So why troll Rift. F2P your self.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 9:57AM vampero said

Look for what? I played Rift for 6 months! Every live event was the the same thing over and over again. The world is very small. All it is rinse and repeat. All the quest are the same for every class ! So why roll a new toon . Rift is WoW type of game..grrr grrrr grind !

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 11:41AM epilepticemu said

Played the new content last night and had a BLAST! Was very fun.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 12:33PM willard said

The new zone looks wonderful. Haven't done too many quests but they seem standard fare so far.

I participated in the zone event this morning and it was loads of fun. Bolstering the area defenses and offenses made the boss fights more interesting through the event. Exceptional turrets FTW!

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 2:44PM (Unverified) said

Just don't head over there at level one like they did. It's very much an end game zone.

Posted: Nov 18th 2011 10:01AM Gaugamela said

Rift raids, solo dungeons, open world PvP and now the new invasion mechanics.
But I can't argue with you that it's the same type of game as WoW. It is a theme-park MMO and they never said otherwise, if you're already burned out then I can't argue with that although there's more to the game than just the things you stated.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM