Posted: Nov 16th 2011 3:17PM Tragity said

I Am one of the (I played a friends account and fell in love and got my own account) people. I got my account about 2 weeks after Kunark and was just beside myself with the Iksar just loved everything about them, however there was a problem everyone I know playing were soft skins and no where near me. not to mention EVERYONE hated the Iksar at this time heh Even there own god wasn't crazy about em.

That leads me to my fondest memory of EverQuest , I was an Iksar shaman unable to join my friends so i leveled to 9 to obtain Spirit of Wolf aka sow(run speed buff) a must have for travel and proceeded to move my way to Crushbone(CB) where everyone was adventuring. It took me a full day and 1 death due to the freeport guards to get to the home of the Elves. Greater Faydark and since the whole zone was considered a city i was able to be bound anywhere and was bound at the entrance of CB. No one in that area had seen an Iksar or so it seemed because I had people trying to attack me and talk to me as if i was an NPC when i would stand outside CB. and i leveled and faction'ed until i was allied with the wood Elves and was able to sell to them. i even wrote a story on why my Iksar was friends with Elves.

From then on the world just became more real at times then (the real world) the people that i met and interacted with were awesome and i wouldn't change a single allnighter or weekend of 18-20 hour days for anything in the world.

Signed Sythyfys Xykythys Shaman of Cazic Thule

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 3:18PM Jackleope said

My first character was on a pvp server back in early 2000. It was a pretty magical experience. I tried out a barbarian shaman. Ran around Halas for about an hour before finally finding my way out into Everfrost. Wandered around a bit, killed a few wolves and the like and then was promptly murdered by another player from behind. I immediately rerolled on one of the pve servers.

I made a human paladin and started in Freeport and a friend of mine made a halfling. Well we wanted to play together and it seemed like a decent idea since, looking at the handy cloth map that came with the game, the two starting areas were pretty close together. He made another temporary character to make the journey with me and we set off on our first adventure. What followed is probably some of my fondest memories from the game. We ran past adventuring parties of all sorts. We saw big ogres fighting bigger spiders, were nearly eaten by a griffin, had massive hill giants cross our path, and were chased across the zone by this very cranky dark elf. We also ended up finding our way into the dungeons of Befallen somehow and had our very first experience of getting trained. Good times...then we made it to Kithicor. Some time later, we decided it was probably better for me to reroll halfling.

I honestly don't think I'll ever experience anything like that in a video game again.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 4:12PM Ben E said

My start to EQ was actually rather methodical... I wanted to try out an MMORPG, so I did some research into the big 3 at the time (EQ, UO, AC), and came to the conclusion that EQ had the best reviews/ratings, so I bought it.

Made a dwarf paladin, got to level 3, and lost interest. :p It was only a few months later that I decided to come back and try out the Test Server (I can't remember why or if someone mentioned it). Met several friends and was totally sucked in.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 4:23PM Solude said

EQ, the MMO that had me by the balls for 5 years =) Best/Worst memory... a rat in the Qeynos inn stealing the bags of gear I put on the ground for my alt. And no when I killed the bugger, he didn't drop my gear =( 35 warrior had to reroll arg.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 4:29PM ZaulEnTaro said

I remember dying in Befallen and losing all my items back in 1999. I was a Dark Elf Wizard, my friend was a Dark Elf Magician. He was a higher level than I and he suggested we fight in Befallen. I saw the well and thought it would be fun to drop down to the bottom. Not so much fun, since I died from the fall. After hours of trying to get my corpse back to retrieve my treasure trove of newbie loot, I gave up and just kept playing. That character continued to be my main for many years :)

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 5:20PM SnarlingWolf said

TTTRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

That is my best memory of EQ. Going into the Gnoll dungeon which was filled with other players (I picked up EQ at launch). Everyone would have their own spawn or two picked out and would be battling away everytime the spawn popped.

Of course, there was always someone who thought his character was tough enough to get down deep into the dungeon. When the spawn would start popping behind him he'd run..... dragging the whole dungeon with him.

As he ran by people they would run too. Eventually someone would yell TRAIN! and the whole dungone would scatter. Why you ask? Because when he died or made it to the portal out, all of the creatures he dragged with him would agro on the first person they came to, it was a death train.

Everyone would be gathered outside the dungeon yelling about who caused it and occasionally someone would pop in to see if it was safe only to come flying out again.

That would happen several times a day and was always hectic/exciting/and just plain funny.

Instanced dungeon games lose out on that nice bit of fun.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 5:29PM ozadn said

Out of all the games on the shelf I picked up Ruins of Kunark. This was back in 2001 and wow this game really draws you in deep. I've played it on and off over the years but the earliest memories are still the best.
I can remember thinking how brilliant it was that some lady (well i like to think so) bought me my first backpack while I was struggling to come to grips with Qeynos newbie zone. Then sitting and talking for hours in qeynos hill with this lady, the first American i think I had spoke to at that time. Twas truly amazin both her and her hubby playing from Houston and me from Shropshire in the UK. Chatted for hours by the road side stone in qeynos hills, occasionally getting whacked by the gnoll runner (curse his hide).
Shame I lost touch with this lady and her husband, never exchanged emails and they left the game a couple of years ago, good old Torvonillous server. I'm back in game at the mo, playing very casually on flippy a lvl10 wizzy (Ozadn) and love seeing lots of lowies running around and a healthy server population.
This game has definately been a huge chapter in my life, even inspired me to have a full colour fantasy back piece tattoo, just to remind me of the terrible grind lol.
Cracking game, terribly addictive, and i wouldnt miss it for the world.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 5:31PM aakadarr said

I've played Everquest since 1999. I still remember all the awesome times me and my guild Havenlight used to have. I remember when I started and first was messing around in ButcherBlock Mountains and how amazing it was and I remember the first time I died I was killed by Cornflunk the ogre after trying to run away from him for what seemed like miles. Unrest is still my favorite zone

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 5:32PM (Unverified) said

Everquest was a big part of my life back in 1999 all the way upto 2003. I remember working in the computer section at Circuit City (co-workers actually got me hooked to the game) playing the game. I would go afk while assisting a customer and hoping that I didn't get trained or agro a mob. EQ actually scored me a few computer sales because I would show other gamers the game on nice computers lol. Oh I miss those times :)

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 5:54PM KurganNazzir said

Hmm, it's been so long ago that I played (the game was still a baby) that the only thing I remember is the first time I died because that's when I learned I had to find my body to retrieve my stuff. I couldn't find my body because I didn't know the area seeing as it was my first time there. Then I learned there were people who could track my body, so I found someone willing to track my body but he tracked the wrong one at first. We finally got to my body, I retrieved my stuff and thanked the kind person, then I went back to killing. Good times.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 6:40PM DefiasBandit said

For my circle of friends and I, EQ was the first MMORPG to get 3D right. I never liked the isometric view that Ultima Online used and never played it despite all the requests of my friends. My first view of EQ was at a friend's house one night. It took him 5 minutes to answer the door and he finally let me in and hurried back to his computer room. The lights were off and I saw he was at some strange chessboard battling giant skeletons in the rain while this droning sound echoed over and over. I bought EQ on the way home from work the next day.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 7:01PM ice919 said

So many memories. That first time you saw the sunrise or set in a new zone. When I got drunk in Kel and fell to my death. Truly a beautiful thing.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 7:05PM keitaro73 said

EverQuest was my first MMO and I played it for six years. The first night I played it, I ended up losing track of time until I noticed the sun coming up.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 7:07PM wondersmith said

I met the love of my life in EverQuest.

EQ was the first MMO I tried back in late 2002 or early 2003, when Planes of Power was hot stuff and Stromm was the official newbie server. I had created a (male) barbarian shaman and was running around exploring Everfrost with no idea what I was doing when I met another low-level shaman of the vah shir (cat people) race. She asked if I'd like to group, and although I was more comfortable soloing, she was so cute with her tail and the little club she wielded that I couldn't refuse. (I found out later that she was an experienced EQ player who had burned out on her previous server and decided to start over on Stromm. Even though she was a vah shir, she had moved to Halas/Everfrost because it was her favorite starting area.) We had good fun bashing trash mobs out in the wilderness and fleeing from Martar Icebear together.

A couple of times later she sent me tells when I logged in, asking if I would like to group. I politely declined, saying I was happily soloing. I just wasn't that sociable back then! On the third time she asked--it would have been the final time, she later told me, if I had declined once more--I broke down and accepted, and this time it stuck. We played together more and more, helping start a new small guild and eventually professing our love for each other during a fishing trip to the Plane of Tranquility. She certainly brought me out of my shell!

We have become inseparable in our nightly gaming, having played Guild Wars, WoW, Perfect World, Voyage Century Online, Runes of Magic, Atlantica Online, DDO, and currently LotRO together. Our ages are different, we don't find each other physically attractive, we live at opposite ends of the USA, and we have never met in person. But MMOs have rendered such trifling details irrelevant. We love each other dearly for the kindred spirits that we are.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 7:08PM OrangeGamer said

Thank you for sharing your stories guys! I could only dream of Everquest when it first came out- didn't really have even a semi-decent PC then.:P Always read about it in magazines, and I love reading all the stories of those who were there at the beginning.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 7:59PM scaevola said

getting slain in the orc highway on oasis ...

Please pick me! I failed to pre-order and it's just painful...

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 8:06PM (Unverified) said

I remember holding out on EQ for a long time. I had a friend in middle school who I used to visit for D&D games and he showed me this game he was playing called EverQuest. It was a 3D immersive roleplaying game that you played on the internet!

I was pretty floored until he told me that you had to pay, like, ten bucks a month to play it. The idea of paying monthly for a video game seemed insane.

A bit later in my life, in high school, I started to have regular work and a paycheck so I bought the Gold Box (Oh heavens how I wish I still had that) that had everything up to PoP and man did I have some great fun with it.

I still occasionally feel the pangs and think it might be neat to go back and explore all the years of content I had missed, but every year it seems more and more impossible to start a new character.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 8:23PM (Unverified) said

I started playing EverQuest back in high school. I mainly played with my younger brother and my best friend. I remember my brother doing whatever he wanted to have fun with the game, never playing by the rules. We spent hours trying to invent funny names to see if we could get them past the name censor. He would sit on the beach and roleplay with high level players as they ran through to Oasis.

I also remember some of the first expansions, especially Kunark. Running through all that new territory. I remember fighting my way into a tower in the middle of the desert, filled with undead Iksars. My party got wiped and it was a week before I could get in to retrieve my corpse. It was an incredibly challenging game but that was part of the fun because it made having friends to play with very important.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 8:24PM Saker said

I played back in the golden age of Kunark, it was wonderful fun! My Troll-Shaman was crazy fun to play. Major nostalgia for this game.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 8:36PM Brightuatha said

I could not wait for this game to come out. I was amongst the people who played this game when it launched on its first day. I eagerly read about it, and kept watch, I met amazing people, some who lived across the world, and still have the fondest memories today of the adventures we shared. I remember what a hard core gamers game it was. There is nothing that I play today that even comes close to how hard core this was. My favorite race was the dark elves, and I really liked how faction played such an important role in this game. One of the reasons I liked that race was because it was more challenging than many of the others (because of faction issues). I spent countless hours, on this game. I have seen many other games, some very successful take their lead from Sony's Everquest. It was a trailblazer in many ways. I will always miss those days with the fondest of memories, nothing today is quite like it.