Posted: Nov 16th 2011 9:54AM (Unverified) said

I also played CO and have played COH for a long time. I love both games because each is amazing yet so different - even though both were created by Cryptic.

However, I think you NEED TO PLAY DCUO! Its the most amazingly EPIC superhero genre mmorpg Ive ever played. And even though I love the others, once you play DCUO you will have a hard time playing another mmorpg - ITS THAT GOOD!

With the max level being only level 30, a MASSIVE amount of content pre-30 and post-30, six updates and a DLC content pack - there is sooo much to see and do! Also, its not just about combat. There area races, collections, investigations, feats, and a great RP presence. The PVP is exciting, open pvp is fun as heck, the pvp instances are HUGE mini-zones in themselves and the raids are not like any other mmos raids.

PLAY THIS GAME! Villain or hero, each side(like coh) has original, faction-specific content. If you need any tips or want to know more after joining, msg me anytime (or mail me ingame)
XALON(caps)- my hero, XAOSS(caps)- my villain

See you in the DC Universe!!!

-X

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 10:56AM AnathemaOne said

@(Unverified)

DCUO is unmitigated junk as an MMO. It's an unbelievably shallow game, with an absolute shortage of content. Character customization is a joke compared to either CoX or CO, as is the ridiculous lack of powersets.

The open world is useless once you've leveled, which will take the average player less than a week to do. At that point, DCUO becomes a lobby game in which you queue for instances.

DCUO is a horrific waste of an IP, which is why it took less than a year for it to switch from P2P to F2P. It simply just wasn't good enough to spend money on. As an MMO, it's a joke.

CoX, on the other hand, is a great game. Powersets, customization, content, you name it, it has it. The Widowmaker lives on!

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 1:33PM Daemodand said

@(Unverified) DCUO is a comic book video game where you can't have super strength or invulnerability. That pretty much says it all for how wrong the design of this game went.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 5:09PM JuliusSeizure said

@Daemodand

Sure you can. You just can't get powers which reflect those concepts as power sets that aren't coloured by additional elements. To put it another way, there are generic super strength and invulnerability powers available from a generic pool, and there are powers of those sorts that are flavoured as fire, frost or a certain type of weapon combat.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 11:21AM DarkWalker said

One topic that I would like to see - mostly because I have a fairly radical view of it - is about number of spec options versus how easy it is to change them after they are chosen.

I, for the most part, really like CoH, but I can't bring myself to play for more than a week or two (or to play old characters again) due to the combination of limited respecs, the sheer number of different power combinations, and the fact it's impossible to change the powers after character creation.

The restriction on respecs, for me, is usually enough reason to refuse to even try a game (CoH is an exception, I did try it 3 times up to now, which shows how much I like the game's other features). I get a fair share of my enjoyment from experimenting and tweaking builds, and I grow really frustrated whenever I want to try something different but the game prevents it.

The huge number of powers, together with the fact they are locked at character creation, also pushes me away from the game, though not so strongly as the respec restriction. There are simply too many options, and trying each new combination at a high level would mean leveling a whole new character from scratch. Silly though it might seem, this gives me the feeling players are artificially prevented from actually experiencing everything the game has to offer in the name of enforcing variety.

For the record, the reason I started following GW2 and TSW news (and plan to pre-order them) is due to their flexibility regarding respeccing (and, in TSW, the fact any character can, after unlocking all skills, be anything the game has to offer and change almost at will). Also, the bit of news that made me really give up on TOR was the fact characters will be locked to one of the two Advanced Classes they get to choose at level 10. So, I'm quite particular about respeccing/flexibility.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 1:12PM StClair said

@DarkWalker
It's true that CoH is not very respec-friendly, and most of its flexibility comes with the assumption that you will create and experience plenty of alts. If your enjoyment comes not from "who do I want to play today" but "who do I want to completely remake today", this is not going to be the game for you.

I, on the other hand, tend to respec my characters once every few YEARS (after major game changes, like ED or IOs, or if I decide late in play that I want to drop a power or re-slot what I have). As a long-term veteran, I have all the banked tokens I need for the occasional re-tool, without even having to touch the trials to earn more in-game.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 8:48PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@DarkWalker

That's actually not a bad idea for a column, but it's arguably bigger than just CoH. I'll stick it in the file.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 11:25AM Utakata said

One topic that could also be used for future:

"How manga/anime has warped my perception of comics:"

Since...

1) I read a lot of manga.

2) Most of my characters I roll in CoX are based on manga/anime I read or watched.

3) Hey, wasn't that Kenpachi Zaraki's rusted Zanpakuto under the Katana options in the toon creator? O.O

4) There needs to chibi emotes ingame.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 2:03PM CitizenH said

@Utakata

That is a topic i feel strongly about.

I look around Paragon City, especially on Virtue, and I see very few traditional heroes and villains. Everyone is anime/manga inspired or is trying to play a character from another genre/universe like World of Darkness or WoW.

DC/Marvel/Image types are the exception now, not the rule.

And it ticks me off that the developers support this by way of powers sets and costume parts that aren't really super heroic.

If they added sci-fi jet packs to LotRO or AoC, people would FREAK. If you went on the WoW forums and asked for a class to be created where you could fly around with a cape and punch bank robbers in the face they would run you out of town. Yet when you flip that and apply it to CoH, it's acceptable?

Fantasy and any genre has boundaries and while ALL genres blur around the edges, those borders /exist/. Cattle Punk is a sub-genre, but that doesn't automatically mean *every* western needs a steam driven mechanical spider. The same thing applies to super heroes, and I don't honestly feel the developers and many of the players don't respect that.

I don't buy the argument that the super hero genre is "wide open to everything". It's not. Yes, some super hero comics have elements of horror, sci-fi and fantasy, but those element were heavily *adapted* to work within a super hero comic. For example, Thor was given a secret identity. He fought science villains and radiation created monsters as much as he battled fantasy creatures. And most importantly, he was an outlier, he was in just one corner of the Marvel universe.

It's not that I want to see anyone who's not a four-color hero expunged from the game, but I find it sad that spandex is the exception now.
I feel that the game has gotten so generic and to me if feels like that the developers cater their super hero MMO to people who really don't seem to like super heroes and would rather be playing an anime/fantasy/whatever game.

If I was a Blizzard fanatic and they got to the point they started widely putting in elements from NASCAR and Halo into WoW (and playing them straight as opposed to easter eggs/jokes), I'd feel the same way.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 5:24PM Ehra said

@CitizenH

"Yet when you flip that and apply it to CoH, it's acceptable?"

Yes, City of Heroes is more about freedom of expression than anything else; the ability to make near any character you want is one of its best selling points. This is why the game has costume options ranging from spandex to knights in armor to cowboys to monsters to street clothes.

Super hero stories are full of characters that aren't necessarily "super" that need to make due either with their natural abilities, technology, or whatever weapon they find laying around. It's a part of the genre, whether you like it or not.

And it's funny that you mention "If you went on the WoW forums and asked for a class to be created where you could fly around with a cape and punch bank robbers in the face they would run you out of town."

Fantasy generally refers to this kind of character (hand to hand fighters) as a "Monk." Capes have been in the game since the beginning. In fact, a Monk class is being added in the next expansion; so players will be able to do exactly this soon enough.

When you got down to the purest meaning of the word, super heroes are pure fantasy. Which is why it shouldn't be surprising at all that the lines between the two genres are VERY blurry (especially if you set your fantasy in a modern setting like most super hero stories); there's plenty of overlap between the two.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 7:12PM JuliusSeizure said

@CitizenH

'There are countless fantasy MMOs where you can swing a sword; did City of Heroes really need like *seven* plus different power sets based on medieval weapons? I can play a character with guns in any number of the remaining MMOs that aren't those fantasy titles, so I wasn't exactly thrilled about Dual Pistols in CoH. I mean, try something other games and genres DON'T do.'

That is a horrible line of thought. Those power sets exist because they are things that heroes and villains in comics DO use, which is all the justification needed.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 8:45PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Utakata

The only problem is that while it may have warped your perception, it certainly didn't warp mine. The two exist comfortably within my headspace like two different guys named Phil who work at the same office. There's some overlap, but one didn't really change my perception of the other.

Okay, there was that time that I was chatting with a friend about turning either Wonder Woman or the Green Lanterns into a magical girl series, but that was it.

Wait, there was also that X-Girls discussion at a separate and unrelated date. Maybe I just like turning things into magical girl series.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 8:59PM Utakata said

@CitizenH

I'm on Virtue as well, but I see very little in of what I would deem inspired by anime. You are correct however, that I've seen very few that would be considered "traditional"...whatever that means. But I'm not sure I or many others would ever want anyway else.

Furthermore, most of my heroes and villians ARE from manga/anime. It's what I read and digest constantly. It's still comics...but not comics that are exclusive to North America only. But how are my heroes and villians any worse or better because they're not from DC or Marvel? This is a subjective point. Same as having Orcs and *Gnomes in capes flying around in capes knocking over robbers. You can feel strongly about it...but I doubt many will agree with you.

*Note: My CoX recreation of myself has Super Jump...so she doesn't "fly" around knocking over robbers. As for my original WoW version...she sticks to flying carpets and dragons, but still knocks over robbers and wears a cape. :)

@JuliusSeizure

"Spandex hasn't been the only way for heroes and villains to go since Namor appeared in April 1939. You're clinging to something that just never really was true at all. "

It should also be pointed out, spandex wasn't really invented until *1959. So it's in of itself isn't exactly "traditional" either. :)

*Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandex

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 10:17PM Utakata said

@Eliot Lefebvre

Yeah....I see what you mean. Perhaps I'm treating it more of a "guilty pleasure". That is, something that I enjoy doing, but too embarrased to tell others about it. But that seems absurd, when the fact my avatar loudly proclaims a character I play where most others would likely find that as a guilty pleasure at best. Thus what is it I have to lose?

So I must thank you for showing me a better mindset to look at that. :)

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 10:47PM CitizenH said

@JuliusSeizure

"Yes, just about anything is acceptable in a superhero game because the superhero genre is a melting pot of whatever ideas creators feel like throwing in."

No, the super hero genre it is NOT a melting pot catch all of whatever. It has it's own 'rules', tropes, conventions and styles.

Just because you don't recognize them or don't care about them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Your assertion that its essentially a non-genre is a little offensive to me.
The "sure, just throw it in, it's super heroes" mentality is as disrespectful of that genre as "just give Gandalf a jet pack and make Gollum a cyborg" would be to high fantasy.

Honestly, if people want an "anything goes" environment, there's Second Life, then you don't even have to worry about ignoring the lore and setting.

Again I invite people to go to the DDO or AoC forums and ask for 'spandex armor', jet packs, mecha suits and machine guns and see how far they get. Frankly, I'd like to see the reaction. :P

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 2:02PM Ehra said

@CitizenH

I've got a better idea; how about you go to the City of Heroes forums and tell everyone that swords and guns don't belong in a super hero setting and that it's akin to giving Gandalf a jet-pack. See how much credibility those statements lend you.

Posted: Nov 17th 2011 8:16PM Utakata said

@Ehra

...a belated lol! :)

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 4:15PM Daemodand said

@CitizenH The good news is they are working on a Golden Age/Tights costume pack!

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 11:39AM JuliusSeizure said

I was tempted to vote for Kheldians, and I do think they need to receive their due eventually, but it just has to be Building Bad Characters. It's an issue near and dear to my heart in any MMO, and especially in something like CoH where you really are supposed to build the hero you imagine.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 12:55PM Ehra said

@JuliusSeizure

"As for the second poll, they're all equally interesting and compelling subjects. My vote came down to Making Invincible Heroes Interesting simply due to that being a hot topic for the last couple of days in the Union RP channel. I guess it also has some bearing on my other choice, as the complete flipside. "

I think it's especially relevant now with WWD; there have been quite a few mentions of people hoping States bites it because the invincible hero type isn't too interesting.

I think the most interesting approach to that sort of hero would be playing up the psychological angle. Like how Superman eternally has to worry about accidentally breaking normal humans whenever he interacts with them, or tearing a hole in the floor if he steps too hard. Then you've got the fact that these people are INVINCIBLE and typically tend to be immune (or resistant) to aging, meaning they're inevitably going to live to see everyone around them either die to things that would never hurt him or slowly die with age.

You cant really feasibility challenge that type of character in combat, but you should be able to do some interesting things with the fact that they're surrounded by, interact with, and trying to save people that are pretty much inferior to them in every practical way. I think the most difficult part of that type of approach is to avoid coming across in such a way that makes people go "zomg so emo." (even though you're going to get people who do that regardless, not much you can do).