Posted: Nov 15th 2011 7:40PM mrantimatter said

I remember this game. I still have the beta disks for it and the expansion laying around.

It was a fun game killed by a few things.

First, no HDD meant the graphics and patching was rather sub par, even after the expansion. Had they gone FF11's route it might still be around. The overall effect was very limited graphics sets and very low rez textures. For example, every class of armor had the same graphics, with only a pallet swap to tell one piece from another. original armor graphics were terrible, but they were, somewhat, better in the expansion.

next, for a game called everquest, you'd expect a lot of quests. Instead, it was basically a 50 level grind, and then an even bigger, endless grind post expansion.

and finally, it was too simple. They removed a ton of the features of Eq1, to try to make the game easier to play. The result was something that alienated the PC fans, and looked overall quite inferior to its rival in FF 11.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 12:46AM Yellowdancer said

@mrantimatter

The HDD drive tech wasn't created when this game started development.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 10:00PM mazeofmassive said

This article prompted me to register with massively a website i have visited for years. Thank you for such a well written article about a game i have very fond memories of. i no longer own a playstation but if they were to make another mmo like this one i would run out and buy it on the spot!! As a matter of fact i would buy any console system if it was even close to the level of quality that this game held for me. I am currently a pc fanboy. Agian i thank you kindly for such a wonderful article!!

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 1:37AM Snookers said

This would be something awesome on PC. Maybe give it away to players who subscribe to EQ/EQ2. I KNOW the EQ community would get a kick out of this game.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 6:27AM pcgneurotic said

I like this Stoney guy, he makes a lot of sense. Two things in particular that stand out are:

"When you're buying into a game, especially an MMO, you're not only paying for the maintenance -- you hope to be paying into the development."

and

"It was the first console MMO, which is groundbreaking. But so were MiniDiscs and Betamaxs."

Words of truth and wisdom.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 8:21AM Naru now in 3D said

How can I contact Sony and make 'em release this game on PSN so we can all download it for PS3? :p

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 10:40AM mcliudlin said

Wow. Reading across massively and I stumbled on an article about EQOA. In 2011.
What a great game. I miss it. So many great things about this game that haven't been transferred into the current generation of MMOs. (granted there were a lot of crappy things about it as well). It's nice to see EQOA getting some love finally though. I wish they would do SOMETHING with this game. It's basically inaccessible at this point.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 11:24AM themark79 said

This was my first MMO, and no other game has grabbed me the way this game did. I played 20 to 30 hours a week minimum for 3 years, was in one of the top guilds in the game, and was in the dev guild during frontiers beta. As an hardcore player the lack of updates and expansions is what ended up driving me away, but I have always missed it. There were many great things about this game, but it also had some faults many of which could have been fixed fairly easily. The community was great and I met some awesome people playing it and it seemed like guilds were a lot closer knit than more modern mmos.

I think what was the ultimate downfall of this game was that it was too ambitious for it's time. The Technology was not there at the time for it to succeed at the level that it should have. People had to buy the network adapter, a keyboard, and devote an entire memory card to it. That was a lot to invest in game that was foreign to a lot of people, and a lot of it was useless if you ultimately decided you didn't like it.

All that being said I think the concept of a console MMO could be successful on modern consoles with voice chat, higher processing capability, and more people being familiar with the genre. If this game evolved with the progression of the consoles I think it may be in a lot better place. Sony gave up on it too early in my honest opinion, I'm not saying it would be at the level of Wow or any of the pc mmos but I think it had its niche and could have grown. I have never played a game that had such a dedicated player base and probably never will.

Kelso 60 Defender