Posted: Nov 15th 2011 10:44PM ElfLove said

Ya know Champions is about the only MMO that I play now. it's the only one not tainted by 'end game rush' asshatery. it's the only MMO that's actually genuinely 'fun' to play.

I think if it ever shut down I'd just give up on MMos altogether. it's too much about the raids, the numbers, the gear, and the ePeen. Creative worlds are stripped bare and ignored by people who want to play 'super number calculator', they outnumber the folks who wish to explore, to create, to adventure, and devs are feeding the fires...knowingly or not.

Even the next new game will be ruined by the search for higher numbers. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=617931

CO is the last hold out...the devs seem to have a very clear vision of what they want...and they seem to intent to keep the game from becoming like every other.

As well as CO Skyrim also helped to remind me what fun actually meant.....when a game is a game.....when it's a world that you can explore.

There is no MMORPG...not anymore....and that's sad.

It's not a world, no, it's just a hub with a chat channel.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 11:08PM Space Cobra said

@ElfLove

Well, another soul figures it out.

Not saying it's a bad thing, from my perspective, sometimes I like to chat and play at the same time. Especially lately, there is no thought about the world and it's all about a chat client, that is true.

But games are games. Worlds are worlds. While I appreciate and maybe even yearn for an immersive world, people, by virtue of being people, are gonna make it a mixed bag. Some people will make the world a welcome place, RP or not and others just will spam, grief and whatever else. I take the bad with the good, even though it breaks immersion.

To me, the best immersive experience is really a single-player game. You can quit it on your own time and start it up. This is one reason why I don't believe single-player games will die. It puts a player too much in the center of attention the way most MMOs can't or won't. There will always be a market for them.

Again, that is not to discount some of the MMO worlds or servers that could do this well; in my experience, the smaller, indie-run MMOs tend to be more intimate, but your actualy gameplay./mechanic mileage may vary. You may like it or not. And even among them, there are some that do not have races-to-top-level or raids, but as I said, they are indies.

It's kinda how you frame it for yourself, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 12:39AM Yellowdancer said

@ElfLove

Err...CO devs are working on fixing gear/stats, so they can add endgame raids and put in a gear grind. So not quite sure how they are different.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 12:50AM ElfLove said

@Yellowdancer

Great....just great...the last hold out falls away. CO, and it's nice community, will be destroyed when this comes about. There is no other way to see it.

The game will be obliterated with constant balances, gear tweaks, and endless concessions to the never satisfied hordes.

Creativity and fun will die....what made this game special....will die.

I'll stay until it comes to pass....then bid the game farewell....RIP Champions Online.

It's finally really true.

Raids ruin everything.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 1:26AM ElfLove said

@ElfLove

...and yes i know there are good raid guilds out there, full of good people...but you guys are few and far between now.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 7:55AM Azules said

@ElfLove Jesus dude. drama queen much?

The community core won't change, if there's legitimately a nice feeling of exploration and fun there, a bit of content for the more progression focused folks won't destroy that.

Have a bit of faith, yeah?

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 11:31PM (Unverified) said

Love how unenthused the devs sound in that video.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 2:07AM Silverangel said

@(Unverified) Sounded alright to me. Since I'm a Champions lifer, I might as well log in and see if they fixed Taser Arrow some time in the last year. :/ Good to see the game still going forward.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 9:42AM Chiren said

I had a really fun time when I tried out Champions Online 7 or 8 months ago. I always duo with a good friend and CO really is one of the best, absolute best MMOs for running around with a mate or two.

They have a sidekicking system that helps address potential level differences, they have a flexible questing system that allows you to do the same quest as your friend, even if you've done it before, and all the instances I've been in, the mobs would scale based on the size of your party.

That said, game seemed to have gone downhill with the advent of F2P. They took a number of things such as costume items and travel powers that were part of the base game, and then made them paid items. I don't know why they went with this silly Archetype system - it throws away half of the game that a new player would really enjoy. What they should've done was allow free-2-play players to choose any power combination they wanted while they were in the Power Room, but then they wouldn't be allowed to leave unless all of their selected powers were in the same tree.

My friend and I easily spent half our game time in the Power Room trying out different combinations, and Archetypes just takes all that and prevents any chance that a F2P player could enjoy that enough to get hooked a bit more on the game.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 5:18PM gandales said

While CO has plans to include some endgame progression, I doubt it would be like "raid or die" approach. So far, most of CO content has been characterized to be playable at almost any level like the case of adventure packs and comic series. Alerts will most likely be same idea.