Posted: Nov 15th 2011 2:08PM edgecrusherO0 said

Really? Why are companies licensing random films and turning them into games. This and Total Recall, couldn't really get two more random action flicks to turn into games.

I really can't wait for the MMO bubble to deflate enough to kill off most of these horrible ideas -_-

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 3:09PM real65rcncom said

@edgecrusherO0

Renting IPs is a good way to earn money.

Usually doesn't cost the IP holder anything other than lending the name out and has a potential for a huge upside IF the game turns out well.

For movies like The Mummy which were only moderately popular they don't have anything to lose. It's more risky for companies like Lucas Arts or Games Workshop that has a good reputation as a property.

Other than that, getting 15-20% or whatever they get just for using your name isn't a bad thing for most companies.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 2:13PM aaradun said

think that company just doing a cash run, in the next year or so people will be playing the good games that are about to be release. star wars, gw2, archage and these games will barely live.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 2:27PM Lenn said

This has been in closed beta for a few weeks now. I actually tried it. For a few minutes. Kind of a Diablo-esque game. Not really my cup of tea. The visuals are nice, though.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 2:28PM Rhodanum said

Here's the thing. I crave an MMO set in a more unusual setting ( a desert world or ancient Egypt, or a middle-Eastern inspired fantasy universe and so forth). I don't much care if it's based on an existing IP or if it's brand new, as long as it's fun to play and approaches an environment different from what we've gotten so far.

This is the reason why I'm keeping my eye on this. However, it must be added that with all of my enthusiasm for a non-medieval Europe/medieval far-east setting, Bigpoint's involvement is almost a deal-breaker. I'll probably play it just to cure an itch, but I don't have any sort of hopes of them delivering anything that won't nickel and dime me to death and back, while being lackluster at the same time.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 5:33PM Lenn said

@Rhodanum There is A Tale in the Desert. Never played it, but as I understand it, it's a sandbox set in ancient Egypt. A sandbox in a sandbox, if you will. Supposedly, there's no combat in the game and it's all about trade and economy.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2011 3:49PM corpusc said

@Rhodanum

its NOT AT ALL action oriented, despite the marketing. typical RPG grinding.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 2:31PM Space Cobra said

Oh yeah...I forgot that BigPoint had this game.

It musta been the trauma that allowed my mind to forget that fact!

We'll see, but I am holding out for BigPoint's "Anne of Green Gables" MMO or the "Little Women" MMO that is *sure* to be soon released! ;P

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 3:07PM real65rcncom said

Playing the Brendan Frasier class.

I'll pass on the Rachel Weiss class.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 3:32PM Saker said

@real65rcncom Is it Brendan "George of the Jungle" with insane build-to-kill-for, or more recent Disney-esq older, less godlike? I could get into the fantasy of killer-build. Oh well....

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 4:07PM real65rcncom said

@Saker

neither of those, the gun in one hand, sword in the other class.

I think Weiss is the pot throwing class.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 3:23PM smartstep said

So Bigpoint's strategy is to buy alot of movie / tv series IP's and make alot of MMO's ?

I really hope it does NOT work for them as they develop bad games, and whole philosphy of COE of Bigpoint is still giving me schivers :/

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 2:38AM Muwing said

Actually, their strategy "known license + pretty graphics + incentive cash shop" works very well. As long as players play their games, spending tons of money, Bigpoint has no reason to change.
Mummy Online doesn't target the same public as GW2/Archeage/Lineage, the game is simple and appealing, and that's enough for many gamers.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 7:13AM (Unverified) said

Soon to be released: "Gigli: The MMO!"

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 11:44AM Vandal said

If the gameplay is decent, they can set a MMO based on any movie and it would get players.

The problem is that too many companies think the license alone is all they need and don't bother actually making a decent game. Whether this will buck that tendency is something that remains to be seen. One has to wonder if this will just go the route of that Stargate MMO.