Posted: Nov 14th 2011 8:31PM DancingCow said

@Mikx

Yep, sorry, that comment of mine was ambiguous.

Funcom have tried very hard to _verbally_ distinguish the Templars from Christianity.

The problem is that their name is most well known from the Christian organisation the Knights Templar, they're about faith, vanquishing evil, militant, and yes, their symbol is a cross. So yes, at the design level there are lots of similarities.

Add in all the blondes, the red and white (formerly red, black and white) logo and people will see Nazi associations.

Ergo Justin (and others) understandably getting confused about this.

To be fair though, when I first read about the Templars I never made any of those associations or imagined that others would. I took the Templars at face value as they were presented in TSW's gameworld. Funcom probably did the same back when they were designing the factions.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 10:46PM Mikx said

Yeah, the Dragons are the ones I'm interested in, they sort of sidestep (at least to western audiences) these issues with the Templars, and also with the illuminati. I like the green Dragon uniforns, the swords, I think some of the concept art mixes it up with a guy with a katana or something and a red and white jacket (which i would normally associate with the templars).

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 7:57AM Space Cobra said

@Mikx

I also plan to concentrate more on the Dragon side myself, but I may play a second group (or all of them) for learning story details or just for PvP/side balancing (joining the side that needs more players).

The Templar colors are nice, just by going with the colors and the white mask is grand. Have to see the Illumanati (and the gas mask of those aren't bad IMO).

I also personally find the less strict-dogma of the Dragon more appealing to me.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 11:05PM Mikx said

Okay, I found this while looking to see if the character featured in it was a member of the Templars. Its an official promo video for The Secret World. Pay particular attention to the part where she jams the crucifix... I mean cross shaped object that has no particular connection to a major religion... into the ground and the holy light emmanates forth protecting her from the dark evil and then she slays the demon.

99% of the people who see this video are going to make the connection to christianity, and see this as a christian inspired faction, based on a group that has deep real life and popular culture roots in christianity. And, they'd be right.

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 7:15AM DancingCow said

@Mikx

You left out the video's title....

The Puritan.

;)

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 11:18PM Dirame said

Some of those character models look weeiiird.