Posted: Nov 14th 2011 9:42AM Dumac said

I think the signal is all wrong there. Usually when you find a person standing around in the main square of the city or sitting on one of those benches, they are in most cases open for some casual chat or RP, if they are not AFK. Not so in front of the bank. You want to be seen but the signal you are sending is that you are too busy/too good for actual interaction. Obnoxious. So i don't banksit.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 9:45AM Seffrid said

Never heard of the term although I'm aware that some higher-level players like to sit around in public places to show off their gear, mount, or ego, and as a result selfishly block the path to a bank, broker etc. I have never done so and only very rarely go afk in any event, I tend to log out if I'm going to be away for more than a minute or two.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 9:46AM (Unverified) said

The only time I would "banksit" is if I'm trying to bring order to the chaos that is usually my bank. In that case I'm sitting to make it easier for other people to click on the banker.

I could care less about showing off my stuff. I play the game to have fun, make friends and such.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 10:30AM redavni said

Haven't WoW and Rift made entire games out of "Banksitting" while you wait for some instance queue to pop up?

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 10:36AM Dezyne said

@redavni

That's interesting, in Rift, I do stuff in game while I wait for a queue to pop. I've found that I tend to only hang out in the city when I am busy scanning chat for group invites.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 10:53AM smartstep said

@redavni

Yeah. In my personal opinion WoW / Rift and few other similar games, actually transformed practically in lobby games, when you sit (or eventually do daily quests) and then hop into instances. Rinse and repeat x 100 times = reward = new part of armor set.

Open world was minimized to a solo tutorial experience.

Well this sort of gameplay does not seem attractive to me anymore.

I am sure many people still like it, but I don't want to play an mmorpg that is basically lobby game like WoW/ Rift and others who introduced LFG systems and dumbed down open worlds anymore.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 10:43AM jsweck said

Males do the same thing with automobiles in my neighborhood - lekking is lekking.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 11:22AM FrostPaw said

People who do such things don't really bother me. If they have something I haven't seen before I'll have a look but I never speak to them to massage their ego.

Now what I REALLY hate is "that guy" that has a huge character and decides to stand on or directly in front of an npc and force everyone to navigate the camera to silly angles to be able to click the npc. Those guys are dicks.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 11:24AM Irem said

I like to sit out of the way in busy places and people watch, whether in an MMO or offline, so yes. :D

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 11:29AM Vegetta said

I haven't bank sit since playing UO - and I didnt do it much then unless I was trying to sell Nightmares or White Wyrms.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 12:19PM (Unverified) said

I don't think you know what bank sitting means. Bank sitting started on Ultima Online and the point of bank sitting wasn't to "show off your gear" or want to be seen. The main reason behind bank sitting was to sell or buy stuff. UO didn't have an auction house or anything close to that, besides UO auctions an unofficial website which came later. So everyone would sit around Brit bank and spam the things they want to sell or buy. I have never seen bank sitting or even heard the term outside of UO.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 12:21PM ndessell said

all the time, now if only there were more cool bank sitting emotes.

/ weapon polish

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 12:54PM Seldra said

Been playing MMOs for years and this is the first I've heard of this term. I heard of people standing around the capitals or even the Auction House but never the bank.

But I gotta say I've been there, at least when it comes to standing around the capital for a few minutes wondering why I'm playing the game when I'm not doing anything. I just logout after that.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 1:36PM (Unverified) said

it took me a while to realise, this wasn't about the bank, but the lobby area, that spot where you see 100+ people.

either it's the mailbox outside the AH in ironforge or stormwind,

wrath was all about Dalaran, Dalaran's, quest hubs, dailies, low FPS and ridiculous arrangement didn't stop it from being a hub for players to see each other and spend years running around in circles on mammoths that wouldnt fit in doorways, etc.

second only to the roof in orgrimmar, both have been jealously destroyed by cata's "city as lobby area"

the roof in org, was "The Place"
if you need to find a guild
to find a person buying stacks of ore, who would then mail it to an alt to sell on the AH
to find enchanters spamming tradechat
run a ponzi scheme / trivia game
ask for guild signatures,
actually find people to get stuff enchanted,
to /dance and /flex
to show off the new mount to people who were AFK
to stand while queued for PvP
to ask for more players for sunwell 25
to ask players for spare gold
to jump down onto the mailbox or park a mammoth on top of it.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 2:46PM Alph said

I've never done it and to this day I don't understand why anyone does it.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 4:59PM PhelimReagh said

I always called it "bank staring". But yes, I've certainly done it. Probably depends on the game, and for how long you've played it.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 5:25PM Drakkon said

Banksit? Why? Inspect other players gear? Why? I have much better things to do than that. Items to craft, alts to level, dungeons to run, places to go, people to see, things to do.

Banksit. LOL.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 6:54PM Lumin said

I never heard it called banksitting before..

I'll admit that in Guild Wars I have a tendency to park my character next to the xunlai box if I'm busy chatting with someone, but it's so I'm not just standing randomly in the middle of nowhere. (And I do have my bank panels open - and I do sometimes look through the pages while I'm talking.)

I would never do it to show off though, and on a related note I never chat while in a populated trading town (Kamadan, ToA, etc) due to all the spam that takes place there.

In persistent world MMOs I tend to afk in secluded spots and corners, whether it's for a practical reason (hiding from gankers) or simply wanting to be able to enjoy the scenery without other players cluttering the view.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 8:04PM mattwo said

You forgot to explain what exactly banksitting is....because....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t348e24vDyA what you're talking about....

Posted: Nov 15th 2011 2:02AM Gondlyr said

I don't like games where others can inspect what I am wearing. I prefer skill over gear based.