Posted: Nov 13th 2011 7:02PM rgolch said

@Valkenr

I'm not a fanboi. I actually think it's a great game. I've been invested in a lot of MMO's over time, from WoW to Eve (and lots inbetween). I really don't care it the game is changing the industry, or not. I'm just looking for great entertainment. And what I would say is that the story driven content (as well as much more detailed and visually pleasing visuals) very much adds to the level of immersion of the game. I am holding out to see if the different classes capture my attention, but for now, I'm looking forward to launch.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 7:21PM DerpMchurson said

@Valkenr So your ideal MMO is Warhammer of the old Republic?

No. Just No.

Bioware promised story, and they delivered. I'll take that over crappy PQ's that reset every 10 minutes and worthless RvR.

For once I'd like to see some actual solutions to this mythical holy grail MMO everybody seems to want. What do you want? A multiplayer version of Skyrim? The only way to do it would be to basically phase the entire game.

Is that what you want?

Hey bro, come join us in Dungeon X.

Can't bro, I gotta clear 10 phased quests before I can see it.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 8:03PM Bramen said

@Lucidus The game is not out yet. To love or hate it at this point is premature. Anticipate for better or worse is about all we can do.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 1:44AM (Unverified) said

@Valkenr
Gee, I must be among the 1% since I honestly don't know wth these people expected. No one's going to sink $150 million into making a game that's innovative. Why? Because innovation is inherently RISKY. What did innovation do for Warhammer Online? Sold a bunch of boxes but led to such a dramatic loss of subscribers, they had to merge servers (repeatedly). A Tale in the Desert is innovative. Do they measure their profit in billions? No? Well, why not? It's innovative!

MMO gamers (at least the ones who post on sites like this) are asking for one thing and PAYING for the exact opposite. Guess which one matters more? No one who writes checks (the people with the real power) cares about what you SAY you want. They care about what you PAY for. WoW made the themepark all the rage. EVE is holdin' it down for the sandboxes. Given the disparity in numbers, which direction is a developer going to go in if they want to impress investors?

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 12:33PM gamegamerson said

@Lucidus

Don't know why the instant hate on this fella, he's telling the truth. SWTOR is a very directed, extremely linear MMO. You are guided on rails through the entire experience. I have yet to find a point at the lower levels (up to 30) where you can jump off the rails and do something else for awhile. The quests are linear and directed, even the maps as you travel them, you are pretty much stuck on the paths they give you.
I still enjoy it, but it really does play like a SRPG for the most part. The way the starter planets begin even restricts who you can play with for your first 10 levels.

again, I enjoy it for what it is, but the instant hate on anyone who says anything "perceived" as negative on these forums is rather childish.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 9:06AM terroni said

Weekends are good for focused testing. Nowadays they have a more than one batch of testers, some more full-time than others. Alternatively they could use templates to test higher levels.

Certain games in beta now have plenty of bugs to find in the lower levels, so no worries.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 9:15AM Dirame said

You get a 90% chance that you will crash the servers on a weekend rather than a weekday. What's not to like?

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 9:40AM Rialle said

These beta weekends for TOR seem to be primarily about server population sizing. They are simultaneously stress tests, while trying to get a feel of how easy/hard it is for players to find groups. They are trying figure out a sweet spot for server sizing here.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 9:40AM smartstep said

Better to give at least 4-5 days than only weekend.

Not everyone can spend most of the weekend on testing and if you can spend only one afternoon then downloading ~20Gigs just to play for 3 hours is not really attractive for me at least imho.

So instead of 2-3 days this should be 4-5 at least.

More like week tests instead of weekend tests.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 9:48AM Budukahn said

It's a waste of time for anyone but the most ardent of fans for an upcoming product in my not so humble opinion. Given the size of these games, those of us in more backwards broadband nations can easily spend half a weekends worth of time just downloading the client and hard disc space is not unlimited either.

For the developers of course, it's a fantastic opportunity to stress test the server, which is why they would have such an event. But this naturally leads to playing the game in some of the worst of conditions, with overcrowded zones, excessive lagging and log in queues. Not to mention that because it basically is a stress test, any other opinions I have on the product are likely to be disregarded utterly.

Which is to say that frankly that as a rule I've better things to do with a weekend than stress test a video game. Especially things like Star Wars. Still, I have my weaknesses, and no doubt when the time rolls around for Planetside 2 Beta invitations, I will be as slavishly drooling at the mouth in my efforts to get in as any Star Wars fan may be now for TOR. Even for a mere weekend.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 10:12AM KvanCetre said

@Budukahn

You realize that you are allowed to download the client as early as Wednesday, right? Surely it can't take you 4 days to download... :p

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 11:18AM Budukahn said

@KvanCetre

It's not when you can download, it's how long it takes whenever you choose to do so. My fiance downloaded the Conan client a few months back, and that took her about 2 days to get hold of. I'm simply unwilling to sink a day's worth of bandwidth into downloading a game I'm only going to get to play for a weekend, and that, as I mentioned at a horribly reduced level of quality due to the inevitable overcrowding a stress test weekend invites.

Unless - as I also mentioned, I'm pant-wettingly excited about the game in question. But for me, that's not SW:ToR.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 7:15PM HitechLolife said

@Budukahn ...You guys vote down a guy for having slow internet? Geez vote me down too.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 10:01AM Drannos said

As stated above, weekend tests aren't for us (the players), they are for them (the devs). At best, they are stress tests to simulate the load a server will undergo after launch (though I doubt ANY test can truly simulate the crush of players on something like TOR). At worst, they are a marketing technique, in which case a weekend just isn't enough!

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 10:11AM jimr9999us said

@Drannos Agreed. ToR seems to be mirroring the Rift beta approach, which at the end was (pretty much) an unlimited beta invite to generate buzz and test the servers. It worked great for Trion: a big smooth launch and positive word of mouth.

The difference here is that Rift has had 1 mil activations over the life of the game. ToR is looking to have 1 mil activations day one. ToR is intriguing for the scale of the launch if nothing else. It will be fun to watch.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 10:14AM KvanCetre said

@jimr9999us
Rift had 1 million people registered, but if I recall, something under 100k preorders.
TOR has nearly a million preorders in North American retail alone. I'd be willing to bet with other continents and digital orders included, we'll hit close to two million. An incredible feat for any game. Of course, it will all be about retention. I sadly predict a lot of "zomg, its a themepark mmo?!" on day 1 -_-

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 10:24AM Rialle said

@KvanCetre

Definitely a theme park MMO, but I'm pretty sure that theme parks are sadly what most players _want_.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 10:41AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I can say I think after being in the beta for a few months now and reaching max level on multiple toons and playing through a few toons stories i think they are restricting the beta access to prevent more negative feedback as possible. As it is now the beta forums are loaded with negative threads fromtons of people that are finding the game doesn't live up to the hype in any such way. They are also finding how guided and shallow the game really is. Aside from the main storyline all quest hubs are filled with wastefull repetative predictable boring storylines and no phasing to give you a feel that your actions have any type of impact on the game world. I think BW is keeping this game as close tot he vest as possible becasue they realize that it is not ready for primetime or will it be ready for prime time by december.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 1:27PM EuchridEucrow said

@(Unverified)

And I think you are spewing a bunch of unverifiable bullshit. If you dislike the game some much then you wouldn't have difficulty breaking N.D.A and posting specifics to back up your he said/she said nonsense. Oh, but I guess we should just take your "word" on it right? Yeah, right.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 2:55PM Lucidus said

• 1 heart
@EuchridEucrow You do realize that his opinion isn't a personal insult, it's his view of a video game. You may disagree, which by itself is fine, but going jihad on everyone who doesn't worship your digial jesus is a sad commentary on you.