Posted: Nov 13th 2011 12:32PM alzeer said

i only joined AoC few weeks ago and frankly i was prepared for the worst , the game had quite the bad rep community wise but i didn't find any worse than most mmos out there.
the server got few local trolls and the occasional wow/funcom/mmo-name bashing that common in other games.
also sudden invites for grouping without asking is something i am not used to but its a minor thing.
but what really bugged me is the constant gold-sellers spam in tells and general channel which i only experienced this much in aion after launch.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 1:56PM (Unverified) said

@alzeer I turn off NPH. I have a great guild in Shadowdancer and I've run into a lot of great, helpful players like Harvest. Just a matter of appreciating what is good out there.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 12:45PM (Unverified) said

I originally THOUGHT the reason for the large majority of scumbags in AOC was because of the mature rating, open-pvp or something to that effect. BUT, I was wrong. After playing for a while over the years, Ive realized WHY there is so much human trash playing this game...

ITS BECAUSE THERE ARE NO GMS WHATSOEVER! NONE! ZIP! ZILCH! NADA!

The ONLY so-called "gms" AOC does have are volunteer players. Now this wouldnt be such a bad thing, except that the MAJORITY of these "volunteer moderators" ARE in fact, the very scumbags that real gms would be banning! LOL Its absolutely ridiculous.

In the early days of my time playing AOC, I started to be harrassed by 2 little bastard 12 yr olds. The most ignorant and blatently JADED little "tough guys" I have ever seen in an mmorpg! When I reported that these lil punks were not only harassing me and some others I knew, that they were telling little kids to do drugs, steal pills from their parents, rape girls in their school, etc.. ALL in public channels! After reporting this NOTHING happened! And I later found out that the volunteer I was reporting to was a friend of the tow little scumbags! So yup- there is no monitoring or requirements for the volunteers and thats a BIG reason why there are so many idiots.

Well, that and the fact that players can group up and kill solo players over and over and over and over again, without repercussion in the pvp areas of the game. Thats a HUGE draw for nerds with no life that want to act "cool" or be "tough guys" in a game without consequences - because in real life they are probably being stuffed into lockers or beaten up of something lol.

Anyways, AOC is an AMAZING game with great pvp and one of the most underrated PVE selections of all games (second only to warhammers amazing pve!) You should def PLAY IT! But be warned that some days you wont run into azzes, but some days thats all you will run into. Your best bet to avoid these asses are A) NEVER type anything in a public channel and B) travel with friends

GL!

-X

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 1:47PM Faction 3 said

Jef, what class did you make this time?

Also, were you on Wiccana? I only ask because we have a couple people who give away blues and gold almost daily. Teyarias (sp?) being one of the more notorious people who offer Gear & cash , as well as Quest help.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 2:16PM Jef Reahard said

@Faction 3

I made a Necro on Wiccana, yeah. Though that name doesn't ring a bell, it's cool that there are other people doing the same.

\o/

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 5:03PM FrostPaw said

I actually see it as an advantage to have lots of good games release at the same time. I don't buy more games then I can play so by the time I get around to buying some of the games I want to play they are cheaper then at launch.

If publishers staggered releases wide enough, I'd be paying full price for all their games.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 5:25PM Perdurabo said

Still have yet to have anything but polite encounters with others leveling on Wiccana - my demo's only 27, though, so I'm sure I've not seen the broader spectrum of the playerbase yet. Loving it still; and hats off to Jef for another dead-on article. Keep em coming!

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 7:06PM Graill440 said

Mmm, Skyrim.... playing it right now, passing up yet another beta invite from TOR, the last one before releas. To bad Skyrim is a console game, like all console games the ui and graphics are made for the console and show nothing of the PC power available and all the bad of what consoles are all about, cheapness and dumbboxes for the masses.

Aoc should develop for the consoles, they would get subs then.......

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 10:05AM Tizmah said

@Graill440 Well those days are gone. PC only gets console ports so we might as well get used to it.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 8:23AM (Unverified) said

I performed an act of kindness myself this weekend in AoC. Someone tried to gank me in Acheronian Ruins, and I only killed them a few times before I let them go.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 9:55AM (Unverified) said

I will usually on weekends take my demo and offer to run people through sanctum. It's a fun instance and players 40ish can get some really nice blues that will hold them for quite a while. I never take any payment as the coin shared is fine with me.

For the most part wiccana has a great community. Yes, you will have trolls every now and then but not nearly as bad as other mmos (WoW I'm looking at you). You can ask a question and will vast majority of the time get a helpful reply.

The Daily Grind: Which MMO has the best economy?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 8:00AM