Posted: Nov 12th 2011 8:43PM GW2waiting said

This might sound strange, but I choose my class in a new game according to the lore given about the class. I then try and do the best I can with what I'm given. It might result in me throwing my hands in the air and ditching the toon in frustration but I think choosing a class based on potential min/maxing is bit immersion killing.

Nice article.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 7:58AM Chiren said

Don't forget the economics of playing a class. Some jobs (Ninja/Ranger/Corsair) shouldn't costs a lot more to play than other classes.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 9:36AM Rialle said

The FF MMOs are kind of unique in where they seem to try to merge the flexibility that you'd normally see in a skill based MMO (while not skill-based, the game allows your character to level up multiple skill sets and use them together) and the traditional class based game.

FFXIV, at least, sort of sacrifices having "iconic" classes as a result. It feels like this is something Yoshida wants to address in Final Fantasy XIV with the revamp of the armory and adding more advanced jobs such as Paladin.

As far as the crafting classes go, I like the idea of crafting being its own class in theory, but for most people being a crafter is not going to be as cool or fun to play as the combat classes. Sure, there are a small percentage of players who want to be pure crafters the same way there are some players who do nothing but sit there and game the AH all day in WoW.

I think my biggest sticking point with FFXIV is that even though I like that the crafter junkies have deep crafting options available to them, I personally am not a crafting player. However, since gear is fairly scarce, I feel compelled to keep my crafting classes leveled up to support my combat classes. This means that every so often I need to take a break from what I want to do in order to do something I don't like as much.

At the same time, I don't want them to do a 180 and make the crafting bland like WoW. I appreciate that there is a more complex crafting option available here.

What Square-Enix should probably do is compromise in this area leading up to FFXIV 2.0:

1) Make gear more readily available by completing quests, leves, and as drops.

2) At the same time, make sure that for every piece of gear that can be obtained as a reward/drop, there is a corresponding piece of gear that can be crafted that is better.

This is probably the best compromise to allow the majority who really don't want to devote a huge amount of time into crafting level up and stay reasonably geared while not totally making crafting worthless and screwing over the pure crafter types.

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 9:45AM Rialle said

Another thought on how FFXIV could make its crafting "cooler" would be as follows. Other games do these things.

1. It would be cool if they implemented a title system in the game and awarded crafting titles for reaching certain levels. Sporting the title "Master Blacksmith" not only shows you put in the time, but also serves as a little advertisement that you can craft stuff for other players.

2. No brainer: Stuff you make should have your name on it.

3. You should be able to have some degree of control on the appearance of items you craft to give them your personal touch (versus plain old drop gear).

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 12:44PM levish said

One of the many things FFXI got very right was the class system and its one of the things that bugged me about many other games for not copying it.

I never understood why there wasn't a class change system for other games, isn't it better to have the one toon you identify with the most and play through your classes as and grow / develop rather than have a army of toons most of which are neglected or be forced to split your attention?

Posted: Nov 13th 2011 4:23PM myr said

Yeah... FFXI's class system was honestly the best thing it had going for it. Even today I don't think any game's done it better (although Rift has come close). Sure there are some job combos that are just stupid (drg/pup anyone?) but the sheer flexibility is still amazing.

Back in the CoP days fighting Bahamut v2 I remember being asked to play white mage/ninja. Why? Ninja shadows blocked his aoe stomp thus keeping me in range of healing the tanks... and not getting knocked back. Or as a red mage in old Dynamis.. white mage sub for healing duty (for status cures), black mage sub for sleep duty (sleepga), bard sub for refresh-botting the BLM army (ballad). All the while keeping an eye on silences, dispels, and gravities regardless of sub. Or tanking Tiamat... ninjas would sub DRK, since stun, LR and SE gave a better rate of cumulative enmity generation than anything /war could provide (provoke being only volatile enmity, great for short fights, grinding...). And I'd sub DRK myself as a red mage, when on Firaga stun duty.

I could go on for hours... there were so many job combinations best for certain situations. The only hairy thing was the linkshell officer on duty calling out jobs... heh.

XIV on the other hand... feels somewhat generic to me. Maybe because there aren't all that many DOW and DOM classes, I dunno. But I honestly haven't been able to push myself very far in the game, either.

Posted: Nov 16th 2011 6:56PM (Unverified) said

Cool factor huh. Never forget how I first logged into ffxi back in the day and saw a drg in that full purple af looking quite epic and decided to become one. Little did I know then they were and would be the whipping boys of that game for years to come.

The class system in ffxi was brilliant and the single best feature of a game with some issues imo. I thought it would have become a pretty standard feature of future mmos. Not sure why more folks dont do it.