Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:05AM Snichy said

Absolutely not. One of the reasons I play MMOs is due to the ability to make my own character/avatar/class. Otherwise I have no interest in the character and find it hard to bond with them so more often than not, quit playing the game.

One of the reasons DCUO and APB are still on my hard drive is because I love spending hours designing and making new characters, some of which I haven't even played!

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 10:29AM Silverangel said

@Snichy This. A pre-made character is not me--it's someone else--and the direct consequence is a lack of immersion and less interest in how the story ends for that other person.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 12:08PM fallwind said

@Snichy premades are one of the few reasons I will not even pick up an mmo.

a dungeon crawler... ok, maybe... but not an mmo.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:15AM real65rcncom said

Like the article says, some games simply aren't meant for deep character customization. They are meant for quick action, log-in-play/log-out. Spending hours and hours on features wouldn't make sense when the game itself is probably be designed to take no more than 45 mins to one hour of play before you want to log out.

Games that are much longer where you know a lot of time will be spent looking at the back of your character's head makes more sense to do. FFXI, Vanguard, Aion, Lineage are better suited for that.

Even a game like DCUO or CO that have deeper customization options than most games still don't require hours of study, since you can always change them whenever you want without being locked in or really having to pay real cash to change a look to the company.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:16AM Ceridith said

I prefer heavy customization to make the characters I play my own. When I'm playing 'someone elses' character, I just can't get as into the game.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:16AM Celtar said

No I don't care for it at all. That is of course if you are speaking in regards to mmorpgs. I don't consider MMOBA/DOTA's to be rpgs. "Valkryie needs more food!" to recall a audio from the old coin op game Gauntlet. Are they a fun, quick distraction? Sure.

All I see MOBA/DOTA's to be is a newer higher tech version of the old Gauntlet game. For these "type" of games, the pre-made character like LOL does and others of that ilk, is fine.

I am more concerned though if you think that this is an acceptable concept for an mmorpg, if that is indeed what your asking in your short article. We've already had the "I want to make an mmorpg more like a FPS" crowd, we don't need yet another genre that players want mmorpgs to be more like. Ugh.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:18AM smartstep said

Don't like in mmorpg's and in single player RPG.

Other types of game they can be ok.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:23AM Dumac said

Sooner or later I'm going to want customizability. Trading that for the initial accessibility is simply not worth it.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:34AM Aganazer said

No, I want to design them in a way that is so flexible that it even allows you to do ridiculous things that would break your character. More choices FTW.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:52AM Scin said

I will not play a game with pre-made characters if none of them are at least close to a character I would create. If I can't make a connection with my character there is no reason for me to play an MMO in my opinion.

I especially hate games with class gender locks, I don't ever play as a female character so if the healer class is female only (often happens in FTP games) I will not play it.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 8:57AM chuckasucka said

I'm really against them. One of the reasons I can't quite seem to finish torchlight is because I am really bummed that I have to play as those exact characters. I don't get why a game would think that a player would enjoy getting good looking gear, but not care how their char looks. In an mmo, I even get annoyed if there aren't enough char customization options. I thought WoW had too little. GW has too little. etc.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 9:01AM Trololol said

I dont mind genderlocks and totaly premade characters are not that bad if its for a quick hack n slash type game. ''Real'' MMO's should have a good character creator.

The best thing was if all MMO's had a craracter creator as deep as Champions Online, i spend more time on that game creating toons then actually playing it.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 9:04AM DarkWalker said

I prefer when both are options.

Take DCUO, for example. It's a game with fully customizable characters, but it also has a PvP mode with pre-made characters - and for PvP I actually prefer to play just the mode with pre-made characters, since for PvP I very much prefer a level field.

GW2 will do something similar for it's Arena PvP. Players can fully customize their characters for Arenas if they want, with a custom crafted spec, but it will also be possible to just create a starter character, take it to the Arenas at a low level, and pick one of the pre-made builds available; the player can be happily doing Arena games a couple minutes after creating a character, without needing to concern himself with customizing his character.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 9:05AM Rheem said

This makes since in games like Diablo and League of Legends, but if I see an mmo that limits you by not being able to customize a character then I simply uninstall it. You're supposed to be making a vast, deep world to play in, if they restricted class by gender because they were too lazy to put a creation system in, then chances are they put a similar amount of work in.

While we're on the subject, I think eve's character creator needs to let you create the character up front and then choose your faction afterwards, people should get full access to character creator, not partial depending on which race they checked when we don't know what restricts what.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 9:07AM Rheem said

@Rheem

God that was riddled with typos.

I'd like to add onto the first paragraph, "to the rest of their game".

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 9:30AM Pars18 said

I dont really mind, if the game is already engaging to begin with.

Lack of customization only becomes an irritant when I have time to be idle (id est- End Game; read: Standing in the Capital City).

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 10:04AM Lucidus said

No. It's one of the reasons I'm not really getting into SWTOR. It's Bioware's character and story and I'm just along for the ride doing minor tweaks.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 10:13AM Ehra said

No I don't prefer it, but I don't mind it either.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 10:15AM Arkanaloth said

no, I don't prefer it, but it's not a deal breaker either.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 10:22AM aaradun said

no, premade class are for lazy developper