Posted: Nov 10th 2011 7:22PM Ordegar said

The had added the popdown list of abilities so it would highlight which things in the tree affected that ability, but this is an improvement because it makes it clear about what things affect passive stats.

These are all space systems; there will be a separate tree for ground, correct?

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 4:49AM (Unverified) said

@Ordegar Yes, it's incoming shortly apparently.

Posted: Nov 10th 2011 7:25PM (Unverified) said

Nothing on the Borg invasion of Defera :(

Oh well, probably pushed this article to be published before the announcement was made.

I didn't think I would like the skill changes and there are some issues I have with the new ways skills are used. Generally though, I think the changes were important. As to the two things I dislike about the new system. 1) not only allows for, but encourage ship swapping. Have a different ship for every occasion. "Number 1 this looks like a major fight, let's take our Escort instead of the Enterprise." One ship, one captain. That is Star Trek, a Captain does not command more than one ship at the same time. 2) pulling limits off of weapons means a lot more Rainbow Warriors mixing every single damage type. These two things are just a roll my eyes sort of moment at Cryptic.

Now Cryptic has stated that ground skill changes are coming and that will remove the shared point polls between ground and space (about time) and anything that does that has my approval. I also have to say with the new system I can really spec into being a defense oriented Captain, now I just need some taunt skills on my ship.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 7:14AM pcgneurotic said

@(Unverified)

Why would mixed weapon loadouts be a cause for scorn? Granted, I can't think of anything in the canon at the moment more complex than phasers/torpedoes, but if someone wanted a phaser *and* a disruptor, why the disparagement?

Posted: Nov 10th 2011 7:36PM xilr said

Like everything else they've done in this heinous conversion to F2P, it sounds good on the outside but the devil is in the details.

I'm not going to bother posting the volumes of information on this, but long story made short:

If you knew how work the (admittedly) complex former system, you'd gain a *LOT* more raw power than you can acquire in the new system.

....Not a little more power either, a LOT more power. This is a sweeping nerf to those who understood the old system. It sounded good until we got the details.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 1:59PM Stormwaltz said

Personally, I find the new skill names dull and flavorless.

"Astrometics" and "Exobiology" sounded like Star Trek skills. "Starship Countermeasure Systems" and "Starship Maneuvers" could be skills from STO, or SWTOR, EVE, Mass Effect Online, or Generic Space Game 043.

Posted: Nov 14th 2011 7:13AM seannewboy said

My only concern is that on holodeck i was split between ground and space, on tribble with the new skill setup, im only space. I have no skill points for ground left over.