Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:22PM Syesta said

-Leves are nice for grinding gil and guildmarks, but XP PTs are far superior to guildleves for XP grinding.

-Moles are freaking annoying, especially when dealing with multiple of them. Kill one as fast as possible, and a simple 5 pace jaunt will take you out of burrowing range.

-If you select a combat ability (TP ability if you have the requisite TP, or a free (0 TP) combat action) while targetting an enemy, you will automatically go into Active mode.

-If you spread your leveling between multiple classes, you can build a nice repertoire of low TP and free actions to give you much needed balance at lower levels.

-Create macros for fast item usage or passive mode gear swapping

-I will concur that playing with a gamepad is fluid and feels oh so natural, but that's coming from someone who played FFXI for 8 years with a gamepad.

Posted: Nov 10th 2011 12:48AM (Unverified) said

@Syesta

I agree using a gamepad is very nice. Its much easier to target, and execute commands.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:28PM (Unverified) said

I was really hoping S-E would have fixed some of that by now, especially after all the fans have cried about how much better the game has gotten. I was foolishly seduced by their false praise, went out, tracked down a physical copy of the game, and signed up for an account.

While I can't same the game is *exactly* like it was back in Beta, I can honestly say my few hours with the "improved" game has done very little to improve my original assessment of it. Sure, there are more patches coming, and its possible by this time next year, it really *will* be Final fantasy XIV 2.0, but the idea that they're going to start charging for this debacle... it's insulting. I'm cancelling my auto-billing at the end of the week, just to be sure they dont' "accidentally" charge me when the game does go "live."

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:39PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

PS How the @$#% do i get the unverified off this site profile? I'm logged in. It shows my profile name. No other joystiq site does this. *Just* this one.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 9:51PM Bramen said

@(Unverified) "Massively would gladly like to answer your question, however, you must be a verified user in order to ask Massively questions. Please verify your account and try again." =P

Some people have claimed that they had to try switching from firefox to chrome or chrome to firefox in order to remove the "Unverified" from their profile.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 9:53PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Testing 1 2 3

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:37PM shojikareza said

Hey mat, what time do you usually play? :) just tell me maybe can hook some party up :)

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:42PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like your starting too feel like the rest of us!!! Just think of us poor bastards at launch!!

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:45PM JoeH42 said

I just clicked on this article because I liked the picture from Hyperbole and a Half that you used for the icon :) If you've never looked at that blog give it a quick read, I recommend the article about games you can play with a brick.

Posted: Nov 10th 2011 11:10AM ScottishViking said

@JoeH42

Yay Hyperbole! She's slowed down her posts in recent months but the old ones are absolutely classic.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:47PM Rialle said

I really do need to try out Shposhae here soon, myself.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:56PM XCman said

The key to survivining the moles is when they burrow run! Run away from where they burrow. Their burrow has an AoE that as long as you are out or range you won't get hit. You still have to retarget, but at least you didn't take the increased damage.

FFXIV has some strategy involved with some mobs.

Puk's have a charge attack that you can see by the glowing they do before they do their tail whip. This tail whip is a cone attack in front of them. If you side step or get behind them they will miss you everytime.

So no, FFXIV requires some knowledge of what you are fighting. You can't just stand still and whack whack, whack on the mob until they are dead. Once you learn the nuances it is slightly more strategically satisfying.

Dev's are working on adding more strategy, currenly they took out Battle Regimes which was like skill chains in FFXI. Which in a party are nice for adding buffs or extra damage on mobs.

Then there is incapacitating skills. you won't get into this until lvl 20-30. But these skills attack specific areas of a mob, depending on a mob they will slow them down, change their behavior etc. In the end using these will make them easier to defeat or change what they drop as loot.

This sort of stuff, once you understand them makes the game a bit more satisfying, as well as having the correct level equipment for your characters level!

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 10:42PM GW2waiting said

@XCman

Yes, good advice, but I would have thought that backing away from burrowing mobs that do damage on coming up again would be as obvious a combat mechanic as saying, "Hey! Don't stand in the fire!".

Maybe it's just me....

Posted: Nov 10th 2011 2:50AM (Unverified) said

@XCman

Maybe I should clarify. I figured out the "run away when they burrow" part after the first time they used it against me. What I was being annoyed by was the fact that I'd back away to prevent the damage, run back up, and by the time my autoattack swung again, they'd already be re-burrowing. Ad nauseam.

-Matt (Who, to the people who are irritated with not being verified, is also unverified. I feel your pain.)

Posted: Nov 10th 2011 8:58AM GW2waiting said

@(Unverified)

Thanks Matt, Yes that would be annoying. So a simple ranged attack would be nice then to pull them in and build some TP.. maybe we will be nice and give you a magic missile spell to use on them..... or (if the vote stays as it is) ...... maybe not ; )

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 9:21PM Rhazes said

I'm so glad I was able to beta test this. It gave me time to cancel my preorder. The software mouse was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced I felt violated. It actually fought you, imagine trying to put a cigaretteout but the ashtray moves away every time you get close to it.
The console was archaic like the article says.

Posted: Nov 10th 2011 9:41AM Chiren said

@Rhazes

I must agree, it was more of a software cockroach. >__

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 9:46PM Bramen said

I have been very excited about this round of “Choose My Adventure” because I have wanted another gamers’ opinion about FFXIV other than Eliot Lefebvre. Because let’s face it, he is a fanyboy. An honest fanboy, but a fanyboy none the less. Let us be fair, Eliot is entitled to be a fan of any mmo he chooses. However when reading an article about a game one is on the fence about forking money over for, one must naturally consider the source of his information. I consider Eliot the car sales man, and Matt the carfax. Show me the carfax!
The biggest complement in the article was that, “the animations and sound effects that accompany your special attacks are awesome.” Sorry Eliot, but so far even with the patches I feel this game is too big of a risk for me to reward Square-Enix with money.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 10:11PM Rhazes said

@Bramen

I consider it the worst I ever played. I could barely get past 10 hours in beta and that took me over a week to do.

Posted: Nov 11th 2011 3:00AM (Unverified) said

@Rhazes
/sarcasm on
Weird, your statement is the pinnacle of validity cause the game is exactly the same as it was in beta a year ago. NOTHING, I MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED!
/sarcasm off