Posted: Nov 9th 2011 1:21PM Seffrid said

• 1 heart
I hope the MMO isn't as boring as the TV series. Perhaps the books are better but it seemed to my wife and me that there were so many characters that we never remembered from one week to the next who each one was and what they were up to (or where, the geography was confusing).

Moreover, if they took out the sex then there wouldn't be much to make a game about!

Tolkien it ain't.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 1:55PM smartstep said

@Seffrid

Not the series for you it seems then.

For me GOT is best fantasy TV series ever made tbh, and it was very interesting.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 2:16PM ElfLove said

@Seffrid

I hear ya! I really didn't find the books or the show very interesting. They were so dreary, dull and dare I say the show kinda felt like 'fantasy on training wheels'. *cough*

I'd rather play an MMO based on Elric of Melniboné...now that's an awesome fantasy series and setting.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 9:10PM TheClaw said

@ElfLove : Elric MMO could deliver big time, no question about it.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 2:35PM Xilmar said

First thing i read was "Game of Thrones MMO"

I had a larger smile than a kid who just got free candy.

Then it hit me...Bigpoint...wainaminit, this might not be anything close to the pure awesomeness that is game of thrones.

Cool IP, hope they can make a game that deserves to share the name.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 2:38PM Lateris said

Pass

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 3:53PM (Unverified) said

I dont really care if bigpoint makes this so long as it doesnt stop a better company from making a real sandbox mmo based on the IP. The pattern is already there and its called Darkfall. There are no heroes in Darkfall. There are no quests. There are isolated groups of people who are constantly at battle. Remove the goblins and trolls, and focus on hardcore pvp between factions and independants, and you have a winner.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 4:02PM mxt4347564czjv00q9w9qb1tppfr46hb said

If by winner you mean less than 10k active subs, sure. Sounds like a great plan, just like every other sandbox mmo that doesn't understand one simple fact:

Customers will not pay to be victims.

That's not going to change, ever. Adapt or die, sandbox devs.

This intellectual property has a chance at being translated well into an MMO. But holy damn the books are a pain to be endured. There is a reason most "successful" so-called epic authors don't run with more than 3 plot lines concurrently. GoT is the reason!

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 5:03PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Except that there ARE quests lol. Also, at this stage MO > DF and it hasn't even added in the territory conquest expansion yet. Maybe DF 2.0 will break out in a big way, but no skillcaps + counterstrike knife-fighting for your melee combat = fail in my book.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 3:55PM (Unverified) said

The books are so much better. As a diehard fan, I was dissapointed by the series. You simply cant get across the complexity of the book in a miniseries.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 4:26PM Royalkin said

Oh joy of joys, more browser crap I will never play. /sigh

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 4:36PM Tom in VA said

I bet it'll be every bit as good as Bigpoint's Battlestar Galactica MMO.

Oh, wait...

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 4:42PM Seldra said

Sheesh they make everything an MMO now.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 5:00PM (Unverified) said

Hipster said it best. At first I was really excited...then I saw it was from Big Point who made that pathetic BSG browser game. I really think Martin has done a disservice by licensing his IP to those idiots... Going to be such an epic failure for an IP that deserves so much more (just like BSG).

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 5:03PM Barrikade said

I like the HBO series, and even the pessimist in me admits that GoT *could* make a good MMO. But Jef lists 4 different GoT games here, and rightly calls the IP trendy. To me, it's more likely that people will lose interest in GoT because of oversaturation of the IP. If everyone's doing it, it's not cool anymore!

Maybe one or two of those games will do alright. Maybe the HBO series will continue to impress. But I just don't think all of these endeavors will be successful. And if the IP loses its popularity, how long could an MMO really last?

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 5:35PM BasmatiJoh said

This is very unfortunate to hear. Martin did indeed make a wonderful, vibrant world that is awesome to explore (in novel form, let me emphasize), now it's being taken advantage of and it's saddening to hear it's possibly being overly handled with all these outlets companies have planned to use Westeros for. I'm not sure if I'm ready to see these be translated into an MMO...

Not cool D:

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 7:11PM Ulfgaar said

At least you mentioned Bigpoint in the headline, so I knew what I was getting into when I clicked it.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 7:48PM EndDream said

Bigpoint games... Ruining every IP I like.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 8:21PM Azaetos said

With Bigpoint involved I won't be going anywhere near it. What a waste of a great IP.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 10:46PM Yukon Sam said

I think it could work as an MMO, but you'd have to seriously shake up the genre. The core of Fire and Ice is characterization, not nonstop hack and slash. Translating that into an MMO that is fun to play, loaded with intrigue and plot rather than kill ten rats, would take a visionary designer with more nerve than common sense.

And I don't think they have one.

I'd rather see somebody tackle Martin and company's Wild Cards universe. There's some seriously twisty stuff in that series that would make for a much grittier "superhero" experience than any of the current titles.