Posted: Nov 8th 2011 10:06PM DancingCow said

"apparently frequent bug that causes the holodeck to nearly kill everyone on the ship every few weeks"

Are you sure that's a bug?

It sounds like a perfect adaptation of the Star Trek universe.

Posted: Nov 8th 2011 10:08PM (Unverified) said

@DancingCow
That is what Eliot was referring to. But yes the sentence is unclear in that he is referring to the bugs that are present in the tv shows as opposed to the bugs actually in the game.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 3:28AM DancingCow said

@(Unverified)

Ummmm, I'm pretty sure he's referring to bugs in the game - I sure as hell can't recall a slew of "irritating interface bugs on ship consoles" in the tv shows.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 7:07AM bobfish said

Posted: Nov 8th 2011 10:21PM Hookan91 said

Can't wait for January 17

Posted: Nov 8th 2011 11:02PM JonBuck said

I can't believe the overhaul STO is getting. They must have either hired a lot more people or work 20 hour days.

Posted: Nov 8th 2011 11:19PM Hookan91 said

@JonBuck Most of those things being changed or added (Duty Officer, Skill Revamp, Dilithium Economy, Revamped STFs) were in development since earlier this year, but was brought to test now because of the F2P transition, since it will add a lot of content to existing and new players, booasting the playerbase and their profit.

At least that is what i think about so many things being added now.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 4:58AM Verus said

@JonBuck

While they have done a lot of work a lot stay the same. They have added ZERO (yes nothing) in terms of new missions with these changes. They have also not changed anything with the worthless crafting system.

Posted: Nov 8th 2011 11:18PM (Unverified) said

Seriously.. can they give us a fracking release date?!!!?! Its been months already. COH. Fallen Earth, and DCUO were all announced for f2p AFTER STO, and they are all out - yet no release date for STO.

Not a good sign..

If anyone knows a date, please post! Thanks

Posted: Nov 8th 2011 11:20PM Hookan91 said

@(Unverified) The date is January 17, 2012. Its on IGN.com article link on the "Update" part of this article.

Posted: Nov 8th 2011 11:22PM JonBuck said

I know Atari had basically cut them to the bone for most of this year until they were sold to PW. I played the game pretty steadily from launch to about last August.

Right now I'm just seeing how everything pans out. I may resub to STO and play TOR at the same time. :)

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 2:34AM pcgneurotic said

"The process of making Star Trek Online subscription-free is a little more interesting than what we've seen in the past. It's due to STO's level of difficulty. Simply put, it's not very hard at all. According to D'Angelo, it's possible for players to hit the level cap and get the best gear inside of a single day."

Sorry, but that's just insane. I've been playing off and on since launch, and I'm nowhere near the cap with my main. Even the last alt I made, back in the summer, is still weeks of play away from being anywhere even close to Admiral. Sheesh.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 3:01AM Falknir said

@pcgneurotic

It's not insane, I hit max level on my first Federation character before the end of head start (roughly 2-3 days?) (many ships and high-end items of the time as well), and it was a walk in the park easy. I started a second Federation character and got that one a third-way through in a day screwing around. My Klingon character was about half-way or greater over a week, though their content needed to level was awful. That was all-done in the chaos of launch and the free-month.

I went back a few months ago for roughly a week and took another new character from start to roughly tier 3 going to 4, and wasn't really putting as much time into it. It was a bit slower compared to launch.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 3:13AM pcgneurotic said

@Falknir

Well, I've just re-subbed for a month, time to head in and see for myself I suppose. :D

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:27AM (Unverified) said

@pcgneurotic

I've been playing STO off and on for a year and a half. I have one Captain and a bunch of level 12ish LCs.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:41PM StClair said

As a brand new player, it took me about two weeks, playing a few hours every evening. That's still (IMO) pretty fast.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 5:50AM (Unverified) said

faknir is an example as to why mmos are suffering you have these content shredders that then demand more and more content when the game itself has plenty of content to being with they just refuse to slow down. I probably will not stick around for f2p unless guild stations come within a month of f2p if not i am completely in stwor

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 6:09AM BubleFett said

Cryptic has yet to add Fleet Starbases.
But here is someone who actually made a summary of what it might
look like. Clever I thought.

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 7:09AM (Unverified) said

Anyone else get the impression with all these changes, maybe this was as unfinished a game as we all thought.
And that they knew it too despite what they said.

... an aside, how do I get rid of this unverified thing?

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 7:40AM Lucidus said

@(Unverified) I remember reading someone said Atari pushed them like hell to release it after 2 years of dev time. 2 years is not enough for an MMO.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014