Posted: Nov 6th 2011 12:57PM J45neoboy said

If they add some form of dynamic content where nukes fall out of the sky left and right, I'll definitely support this game with tons of money lol

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 1:27PM Equillian said

@J45neoboy

Crap constantly coming out the sky? Go play rift.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 2:17PM J45neoboy said

@Equillian

Alreday hav, don't feel like going back.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 12:38PM arodriguezc said

@J45neoboy

so what makes you think you are going to like the crap that comes out of FE skies? Think the formula will not work for you ^^

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 3:22PM DancingCow said

"While Fallen Earth skirts the line between sandbox and theme park....."

Prior to the introduction of these new capturable towns, I don't understand how anyone could have described FE as a sandbox game, though many FE fans insist it was.

It was pure themepark.

They're not "beefing up" themepark elements now, they're adding them.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 6:41PM Grendel said

@DancingCow

FE is the first game since many years that gives me the feeling of a bit of sandbox and it shows a lot of love to the players, a fact you can't say about any other mmo of the (western) market. This game is a gem, that's for sure.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 3:30AM DancingCow said

@Grendel

Funny how you say it has the feeling of a bit of sandbox (sandbox twice removed?) rather than actually being one or having any real sandbox elements...

I think it's fine if you like the game - I think it has one of the best crafting systems around - but I love sandbox MMOs and don't get any feeling of sandbox from FE.

And I've never heard anyone actually identify any sandbox elements in the game.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 6:33AM Grendel said

@DancingCow What I wanted to say was: While playing often I feel like in the good old sandbox (eg UO) days. A lot of mmos pressure me to play certain questlines etc. while in FE I just sit/run/drive/ride around without thinking I'm wasting my time. So the sentence "While Fallen Earth skirts the line between sandbox and theme park" makes absolutely sense for me. So if or if not ... I don't care anyway, as long as I'm having fun. :D

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 4:55PM Feydakin said

Oh look, more people confused and wanting to drum up arguments about what is and isn't "sandbox". Old, stupid troll argument is stupid.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 6:34PM Plastic said

I knew there had to be a proper explanation for the quality of writing in Fallen Earth. I've said it a million times, but the quest dialogue is refreshingly well-written for an MMO.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 11:36AM Seffrid said

@Plastic "the quest dialogue is refreshingly well-written for an MMO. "

Agreed, as is the dialogue between the various NPCs you pass, I often just hang around and listen to long exchanges about all manner of things.

The game is more sandbox than any other current MMO, that's for sure. There is no linear path to follow and you really can do your own thing. In some ways the open landscape in which you can wander off in any direction for ages is reminiscent of AC.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 11:49AM Seffrid said

@Seffrid EDIT: I meant to say more sandbox than any other current fantasy MMO, before any EVE players challenge me on my comment!

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 8:59AM Aganazer said

I certainly feel more free in FE than I do in any of the typical themepark games. That is all I care about without the need to argue about semantics.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 1:52PM Plastic said

If you read the interview, Marie admits that they were a lot more theme-parkish in the beginning, but that both the devs, and their new owners (G1) want to now move further in the sandbox direction, which is awesome.

Regardless of how quest-driven FE is at this point, it does offer a sense of freedom typically associated with sandbox games. I often find myself avoiding progression in a quest chain because I'm busy helping out a particular town or settlement, where I've become engrossed in their story, or because I want to explore the area and search for good places to harvest. I think once more player-driven mechanics are implemented into the game it's going to be a great hybrid system.