Posted: Nov 5th 2011 3:21PM alphaman00 said

Remembrance will always be one of the standout quests for me, from any game.
Others I enjoy include searching for traces of Gandalf in the lowest region of Moria (and finding part of the broken bridge of Khazad-dûm in the process!), uncovering Narmeleth's story/past and watching her redeem herself (that whole quest chain, esp the final battle against Mordirith). Also, the quest in Angmar where we are lead into the heart of the enemy's fortress by an old woman... and don't make it out (well, not of our own volition anyway).

Speaking of Shire quests, I have to include the hunt for the "Rider" in the shire :D

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 3:28PM TortoiseCan said

I'd say the entire ranger quest line in angmar (book quests) - really made me feel for some of the characters

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 3:34PM Titula said

I finished Trum Dreng's quest chain a few days ago and it was definitely one of the best yet, so sad to see a clan on the verge of extinction, with its members disrespectful of their old and wise chief, ignoring their own traditions and trying to survive in the middle of political turmoil, Saruman's manipulations and civil war. LOTRO knows how to tell stories and this one with Blodwen's tragic fate was immensely moving and showed how the brewing war in the south is spreading like a plague in all Middle-earth and no one is spared.

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 5:02PM alphaman00 said

@Titula Speaking of Saruman... Isengard Bids 5!

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 6:21PM Elinnea said

@alphaman00 Agreed! That instance made me want to go over and strangle Saruman, no joke. I was watching this kid's life descend into nightmare and couldn't do anything to stop it. I've rarely felt quite so outraged and helpless in a game.

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 3:57PM Lenn said

The recent RoI quest chain in which you're (spoiler) captured by Saruman and have to find a way to escape was awesome. It included session play as Wormtongue in which you get to see how Gandalf discovers Saruman's treason.

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 4:38PM Tovrin said

For me, the final showdown with Skorgrim in the Misty Mountains is the most memorable. Just as your about to deliver the killing blow something happens that makes you go .... "WAIT A SEC! That wasn't meant to happen!"

While I didn't mind the reworking of the dwarven starting area, the final quest there kind of spoils the surprise now ...

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 6:45PM HelloIamAldo said

I'd love an article on the opposite of these quests: ones that were obviously made to be awesome, but turn out to be terrible. Like the short appearance of the Huntsman in the Bonevales where he basically kills a boss for you and tells you to piss off. Or the session play with Elendil, where the timing of everything is just so bad that I ended up giggling instead of cheering.

The best quests to me were the final chapters of volume 1. All the way up to Daughter of Strife you get to finish a story that has a bittersweet ending and you get to explore some set pieces that are gorgeous (including a huge wall painting of the forging of the rings). Also: that painting you get is cool.

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 6:45PM JaySpeed said

There are alot of great quests in this game. People complain about the kill 10 rats quests but there are alot of memorable ones too. Any non-delivery epic book quest is usually good. I really have fond memories of Volume 1. Fighting beside Legolas in the Trollshaws, fighting a Nazgul in the Misty Mountains Treasury, and especially Amarthiel's redemption at the end of Volume 1. Volume 2 had some good moments too especially the Mirkwood quests. I like quests where you encounter Nazgul. Volume 3 has had some great moments too. (Spoiler alert) Candaith's death to the oathbreakers was memorable. RoI has given me several moments where I cursed Saruman or swore revenge on the Falcon Clan. Walking thru Orthanc and seeing the detail in everything and it's splendor was a highlight for me. I look forward to Update 5 next month so we can continue the book quests and hopefully get some revenge on the Falcon Clan. I also want to save the ranger who is still a prisoner in Isengard and see what the deal is with Gun Ain. She followed us all the way from Forochel seeking her revenge.

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 11:16PM aurickle said

Honestly, Frodo's Burden never did much for me. But when the Fellowship departs Rivendell... that's truly awesome. I was surprised not to see it on this list.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 12:56AM OutThere said

Remembrance and We Cannot Get Out will always be my two favorite quests. They both give me chills.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 4:56AM Strigoi said

Sadly, some epic quests from the past have been dumbed down for Solo play. Maybe the best example was 'Return to Weathertop', which was tense, scenic and had a great ending. Very challenging when done at its intended level. I died a little when I have done it after they remade it.

The Lalia quest in the Barrows is also another good example of that.

My favorite quests are the postman and pie marathon in the Shire, because it is a joy to walk around that area of the game, probably the best depiction of the Shire in any media. Also, the quest in the great Barrows when Tom Bombadil shows up is also very intense and lore-friendly.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 8:48AM pancho72 said

The search for Layila is one I always remember. It taunts me to grab it and I usually do even though I know that I'll regret it. It's the typical example of what makes escort quests annoying, although in this case I think it's deliberate. Silly silly Layila, why don't you just run home.

Book 6 is another memorable quest chain for me. The first book in Angmar, and back when the books where mostly group quests this one was a nice change in pace by being completely soloable from start to finish. It served as a good introduction to the events in Angmar and was somewhat scary as well. Also a great example of gating done right.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 9:31AM GW2waiting said

Dear LOTRO fans, I apologise for being a bit off-topic, but this seemed to be the best way to get an answer. Your love of, and dedication to, the game and the memorable quests described above inspire me to give this game a try and I almost down loaded it once. However, before I did I read an article on Massively (or maybe quite a few comments in response to an article) which warned against the digital download of LOTRO due to the Pando 'malware' being included which killed the internet speeds of the infected computer. Can anyone please give me a straight answer on what it is and whether it is safe?? Is a box copy better?? Thanks and happy questing!

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 11:34AM TortoiseCan said

@GW2waiting
Pando Media Booster is basically torrent software for MMORPGs, it comes with a few games and essentially it's just letting you download the game via torrent. Once you download the game, you can uninstall the software easily through windows (like any other software)

I think the problem is that it acts like a torrent client in that it seeds the game from your machine afterwards, and runs in the background without your knowledge. I'm not sure if this is still the case, however that's how it used to work. I don't worry about it myself. Just download it, then uninstall pando when you're finished. It's really not a big deal.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 2:47PM Titula said

@GW2waiting
I agree with TortoiseCan, as far as I know Pando isn't known for malware/spyware/hackware, it's officially used by Turbine and Spybot and Avg never stumbled upon it on my PC. The negative press about it is that it's supposed to replace a quick direct link to download the game client and Pando takes more time first but eventually it will download at your maximum network speed. It does appear in my Windows 7 uninstall list and doesn't seem to seed or start on its own after your client is installed.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 7:41PM Taeniel said

@GW2waiting You can also download it at FilePlanet - http://www.fileplanet.com/213014/210000/fileinfo/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Online-Client-(Free-Game) (Not sure if they'll let the link through, but if you google LOTRO Client Download, it's near the bottom of the first page of results.)

It's a great game. :) Highly recommended.

Posted: Nov 6th 2011 2:30PM Nerves said

I always put myself on /follow for the frodo quest, lol.

In the new expansion, there are a few quests that stand out. Tusks of the Boar perhaps being my favorite quest of all time. It reminded me of Half-life 2, when you've got a bunch of people following you around wreaking destruction on your foes. I especially liked that you could pick whichever 4 solders you wanted along. It was short, action packed and FUN!

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 4:52PM (Unverified) said

I just ran that "Rememberance" quest a few days ago and WOW. I have NEVER been more emotionally involved in a quest. It is a great quest to pause and reflect after lots of bitter fighting in Evendim.