Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 10:44PM WeirdJedi said

• 1 heart
I think the MMOs out there cater to those with have a specific type of gameplay and those in a situation that would want to play it. Runescape is immensely popular because there are no demanding computer requirements to play it. The game is free and it is widely known. I know a lot of people who go to the public library and play the game for their allotted time each day.

World of Warcraft was popular because it tried a lot of different things, especially building upon their story. Perhaps that is why people are leaving because their story hasn't quite improved since the last couple expansions. I continue to see people flooding into other games like Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan, or Warhammer Online.

Yet the economy has made people frugal. They don't want to buy a game and pay a subscription model anymore. If they try a game and then see it is quite enjoyable, then they will buckle down some dollars to keep playing. I know it might be silly when people say "I won't pay $15 for that game" and turn around to go see a movie, but it happens all the time.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 2:38AM (Unverified) said

Interested in this mechwarrior mmo, hope it turn out good, I'd like to see open world where you can build buildings as well as mechs. I like the idea of having my own garage, and attacking and stealing from anouther player's .

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 8:14AM (Unverified) said

Why must every mech game be an action game? What is wrong with a turn based boardgame simulator ala Battletech rules...?

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 8:24AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

mech warrior was never a turned based game.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 10:04AM Bedazzled said

@(Unverified)

The Mech Warrior series of games may not of been turn based. Battletech was and remains a turn based board game.

Battletech spawned Mech Warrior, Mech Commander and the console based Mech Assault action shooters.

And I agree with the person that it'd be nice to see a turn based BT game as well as this one. I would buy both.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 10:14AM ScottishViking said

@Bedazzled

Turn-based action MMO? It would be pure crack for fans of strategy and old-school fans of Battletech...and that's it. You'd lose a huge segment of the market making that kind of niche game. Don't know if you've heard, but turn-based games have shrunk in market share for the past 20 years. I think that's a shame, but it largely has to do with mass appeal. I don't see why they would think differently on this in this instance.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 10:23AM Bedazzled said

@ScottishViking

Wha?

I said I wanted a MW MMO and a turn based Battletech game. Two separate things for me to spend my money on and not some hybrid of the two.

I do agree that going from Battletech turn based for the strategy stuff and MW for the fighting would indeed be liquid crack to every Battletech fan out there though :)

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 11:14AM (Unverified) said

Do your resarch. The Battletech boardgame is where all theese mech things come from initially....

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 10:20AM Bedazzled said

Reactor Online
Sensors Online
Weapons Online
All systems nominal.
*stomp stomp stomp*

What I find fascinating about the MW MMO is they're rolling the universe back to 'just' before the Clan invasions. No Timerwolf's (Mad Cat), no Mad Dog's (Vulture)... hell no ER gear either (no Clan ER PPC's YAY). I'm assuming each expansion to the game will wind the calendar along another year but I'm not sure how long they'll take in real time...

Considering how iconic the Mad Cat is to the franchise I can't see them delaying the inevitable Clan invasion for too long though.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 12:11PM (Unverified) said

@Bedazzled

According to the website and FAQs the timeline will take place on a 1:1 basis with the game starting in 3049, every real day is a real day in the MWO game. This will give them a year before some of the bigger elements of the clan arrive.

I think it will be good for them to start small and work it up, I just hope they don't fall into a though process that makes the game more arcade like and less sim like.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 2:00PM (Unverified) said

When people think mechwarrior we don't think of the boardgame either...

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 11:15AM (Unverified) said

Umm....yeah....just minus the "action" part....

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 5:53PM JRock3x8 said

ah hah! so this is why bryan tweeted "MWO is not an MMO" :)

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM