Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:19PM Wild Colors said

I confess, when I first read this I thought they meant that they would be starting up beta testing (standard, closed beta testing), by "opening beta testing" rather than starting up "open beta" testing.

Potential reason to start open beta testing 4 months before launch -- they could be trying to do something like Trion's (very successful, in terms of publicity) beta weekends. They may not do 24-7 testing until just a couple weeks before launch.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:48PM Acidbaron said

@Wild Colors

They speak of letting large crowds in, so we can without a doubt expect week-end or short sessions of a few days. As this will run together with the Closed beta that has been going on since around may this year.

But it's not that common knowledge that they already were testing as the beta leaks are few, very few.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 4:40PM fallwind said

@Wild Colors Massively misquoted. Watch the video, he said "It's too early to tell"...""we are trying before christmas, but it might be after, we don't know yet"

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:24PM Alex Oglitchkin said

And it looks like TERA is shooting itself in the foot just a bit more by delaying their game. They need to get stuff done before it's too late. Secret World looks interesting, but I'll need to play it to see if it's worth it.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:33PM yeppers said

@Alex Oglitchkin

What's a "TERA"?

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:25PM Lenn said

Maybe before, maybe after Christmas is what he's saying. And he doesn't seem to mean open beta, rather beta testing in general.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:31PM Space Cobra said

Yeah, this is just "two sides not getting their info right" type of thing or it ain't.

Actually, Secret World is due out not too long in the future, so it would be a pleasant surprise to see a Beta, but not an unexpected one. They are set for pretty much the first half of next year (April, to be exact, so sorta the second half) and most of the gameplay videos look pretty solid to me. Don't forget, they've been working on this game for longer than even Bioware has on SW:TOR (well, at least production drawings, plotting, scripting, and viral marketing).

So, 4-6 months until release? Maybe sooner? A Beta had better be in there somewhere, lasting a month or two, give or take.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 4:15PM fallwind said

@Space Cobra "(April, to be exact, so sorta the second half)"

? What calendar do you use where April comes after June?

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 5:10PM Space Cobra said

@fallwind

There I go again using the time traveller's almanac!

I meant Second-Quarter. ;) (Apr-May-June is Second Quarter). The tentative release date is April, but I can see maybe a slight delay into May or later.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:32PM BigAndShiny said

They'll do a weekend here and there and only open a select few zones to try and keep players entertained and keep them from Rift/TOR/GW2.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 4:17PM fallwind said

@BigAndShiny

[citation needed]

Not calling BS as that sounds reasonable... just wondering where that confidence is coming from.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 5:55PM BigAndShiny said

@fallwind
I should have added I think
I did mean that as my personal prediction based on what upcoming games seem to be doing and what they have done in the past. For example TOR is inviting 'hundreds of thousands' to the beta 'over the coming weeks and months'.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:36PM SimMiles said

I hope that it comes out before X-Mas.

Airline Management Game

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:37PM real65rcncom said

The best thing about this game is, you can say ANYTHING and then change it and have the fallback of:

"that was part of the conspiracy aspect we are building in the game!"

Anyways, I'd beta this game probably. Good idea for a Funcom related project to do before buying...

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 5:17PM Space Cobra said

@real65rcncom

Aliens stole the Beta sign-ups in an effort to procure the radiation content of flouride in Norway's water system, but they wound up with this Beta tester list instead.

So now, they gotta get it back! ;P

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 6:56PM Gaugamela said

@real65rcncom

So if they ever release monk-pandas in the game they can say it was all part of a bigger conspiracy?

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:44PM (Unverified) said

I'll definitely give it a try, but I really have to wonder about the pricing mentioned. $15/month as a lower bound? That tends to be on the upper end.

On one hand, I hate to see prices go up. On the other, maybe a higher monthly sub means less of a cash shop cash grab?

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 3:57PM thead64 said

@(Unverified) There is a cash shop, though... which really makes me not want to trust Funcom with 15 dollars a month. We'll have to see.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 4:02PM Chiren said

@(Unverified)

"On the other, maybe a higher monthly sub means less of a cash shop cash grab?"

No offense, but if you really think that then I have nigerian prince related investment opportunity you might be interested in.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 6:29PM Sente said

@(Unverified) Upper end if you are in the US perhaps. On European side you typically end up paying more than the equivalent of $15, in the case of Funcom even when when VAT is included.

E.g. the Anarcy Online subscription is about 17 Euro/month (incl VAT) if you pay in 1 month intervals. (17 Euro is roughtly 23.50 USD currently)