Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:09PM KDolo said

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, this big sign, and the name is in like bright blue neon lights in like purple outline. And the name is just so bright and so sharp that the sign, it just blows up because the name is just so powerful. It says, "Jem"

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:14PM Darkmoone said

Justin why do you have a picture of the cartoon Gem up there for a mmo article.

I have a confession, i liked Gem there i said it. Something about the slutty make up they wore, i dunno.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:26PM (Unverified) said

@Darkmoone

I feel it is truly, truly outrageous....

Bad thing is I know who Gem is from my wife and laughed about the LoL character Taric's taunt in game and folks had no idea who Gem was... I feel old...

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 2:32PM SwarlesBarkley said

@Darkmoone

Unfortunately I too must admit to watching the show. It used to come on at a time in the morning when there was little else on and it was sandwiched between two cartoons I did watch. The holographic earrings always appealed to me, and unfortunately some of the songs got stuck in my head. The only one that comes to mind at the moment is the theme song, but I'm sure if I heard some of them the words would come flooding back. Geez that picture looks dated....

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 7:01PM (Unverified) said

We are the Misfits! Our songs are better! We are the Misfits! We're gonna get her! JEM!

Ah, my childhood.

Deep dark secret: I actually have the 1st and 2nd full seasons of Jem on DVD, and I still watch them, particularly on sick days. ;)

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:14PM MrsAngelD said

I LOVED The Southpark Episode!!!

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:15PM (Unverified) said

My kids got a big kick out of this one.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:15PM nimzy said

Cringe-worthy: Cartoon Network's new made-for-TV movie Level Up.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:33PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The episode in BBT where they got Penny addicted to an MMO, the MMO was WoW, not AoC.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:52PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Nope, it was Age of Conan.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 2:16PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) ahh I stand corrected.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:33PM Gizmodious said

"Gems? Gems are truly outrageous. They are truly, truly, truly outrageous." - Taric
Oh and great article :D

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:38PM Daegalus said

Psych - World of Warcraft Leeroy Jenkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMHDfaxk3rg

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 2:36PM Ocho said

@Daegalus

Wow. Thank you for that. I had no idea that existed... and now I feel my life has been bettered for having seen it.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 1:38PM iwitchfinder said

WoW was also shown in The Day The Earth Stood Still. The little bratty kid was playing it when Jennifer Connelly was telling him to go eat dinner or something.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 2:03PM Space Cobra said

To add to that list, there was a Duck Dodgers episode about 2 years ago that centered on online gaming and seemed to take inspiration from WoW. It also seems a bit of that has seeped a little bit into the new Looney Tunes show for a bit of an episode, too.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 2:06PM stealthrider said

I love NCIS, which is why I'm extremely disappointed in its writers every time they bring up games or gaming culture. They're so researched on other topics, but with games it feels like they don't even bother to look at the Wikipedia synopsis of any game-related topic. It's cringe-worthy every time.

Oh, and there was this show on USA last year, ran for one season (not sure if it's been renewed, but I sure hope not!), that showed no remorse in its scathing treatment of games and gamers. One of the main characters was supposedly a mega-nerd, though the actor was pathetic at best, and in one episode's side-arc he was speaking to his "in game friends" to try to bring them together and mediate a fight they'd had.

Long story short, all three characters were far beyond insulting stereotypes, and there was even a line thrown in about "bathrobes not being okay to wear to a meeting." Honestly, I hope the person responsible for writing that dreck never works another day of his life.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 2:44PM Ocho said

@stealthrider

This stems from NCIS's target demographic: 50+. Heck, its on the same network as 60 Minutes. They target our grandparents. We all know that the games they portrayed are nothing like that... but their target audience doesn't know that, and their target audience doesn't really care, hence why its glossed over in "nerd gamer speak". If you knew nothing about games, all you'd realize is that the references are used to make the characters 'young' and 'nerdy'. What they say, apparantly, doesn't matter. This is just like how Star Trek used "scientific speak"... the difference, which NCIS should be blasted for, is at least Star Trek tried to get most of their science as accurate as possible, based on current research.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 2:47PM Ocho said

@Ocho I forgot to put in the caveat that, yes, I know there are plenty of gamers 50+ out there, this is a stereotype and does not apply to everyone, and no offense is intended. But it still does apply to a large percentage of the demographic.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 4:41PM mrmojoz said

@stealthrider
"Honestly, I hope the person responsible for writing that dreck never works another day of his life."

This is how I feel about all the NCIS shows.