Posted: Nov 4th 2011 12:16PM Ocho said

That right there is the big caveat: if there is no way to get store points in game. In LotRO, you can accrue as many points as you need to... they give them to you after every achievement. I believe you can also do the same in DDO. Now in STO, you can trade an in-game currency for store points that another player is selling on an exchange. Its more of a fluctuating market than LotRO's straight system, but you can still accrue store points with an investment of time. Are these games now P2W because they have these systems? Doesn't the entire concept of P2W break down when someone who doesn't pay a dime could still conceivably purchase everything in the store?

Personally, I'm on the fence. I feel a $15/month sub is a waste of money because I don't get that value out of playing it. However, I also don't have tons of $ to drop on a cash shop either. F2P, though, allows me to pay at my own pace, and won't lock me out if I didn't pay them a cover charge that month. So I tend to lean more that direction, but I will Never pay for convenience items... I only buy content or cosmetic items with my real money. (Grey area: Storage space... I guess that is convenient... alright... I'll buy storage space, too.)

But really... and this is for all posters... if you think these games are "balanced" to begin with, you're fooling yourself. Those with the most time, ie those without time sucking responsibilities that allow them a generous amount of free time, will ALWAYS win. Thats why I REFUSE to play sub games anymore. I get to the end and find that I've been screwed.

Don't like F2P? Then go stay in WoW and ToR and let us know how that extra cash shop for convenience items still feels... I'll be out here enjoying every other MMO and thoroughly enjoying it in my own way.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 2:34PM WitchDrAsh said

There is no such thing as Pay2Win, or as someone put it Pay2Cheat. There is just a gap between what you think you should be playing and the game you actually are playing.

A design decision that allows you to not spend time "earning" an item but pay for it simply switches the mmo from consuming one scarce resource, your time, to another, your income.

For some reason people equate spending hours of your time on a virtual treadmill to get a virtual item as "correct" but spending money they spent time earning as "cheating" , personally I don't see the difference.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 11:37PM Doran7 said

""pay to win - the oft-bandied term used to indicate a dislike for the free-to-play model""

sigh, no. when I use "pay to win" to describe a game it means that the game gives significant power advantages to players who pay. In Allods for instance, you can pay a ton and get extra gear slots which provide significant stat advantages. You can pay and get extra rubies which grant quite a few extra skill advantages.. In a game that is predomiantly pvp this is a game breaker.. Anyone who cannot afford the pay for win is at such a disadvantage why even play. I've played Allods for a while and liked it at lower levels but after being beaten out for healing positions by folk with extra gear slots.. or havng been camped by extremely paid for power I have given up and now only login for a few minutes a day to do a guild quest for my guild team.

The truth is if the game is pay to win.. you can play for free.. but you can't compete.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 11:44PM Doran7 said

in case you are wondering I do subscribe to two games.. and find that it's cheaper to do this than paying to get keys to open boxes that I pay for that might give me a necessary buff.. I can't afford three subscriptions or a 5 and 10 dollar everytime I turn around mt payment... so the trap of free to play does not work on me unless it is truly a level playing field.. I do not want to waste my time.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM