Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 8:48PM KDolo said

@Sente

Again, maybe, but it is not Blizzard's fault that no one is buying your product or interested in the innovations you put forth.

Look, if there's something interesting that you have put together for the right price and at the right time, the people will buy into it. If they don't, hell, blame the people, blame your marketing firm, blame your competition. How the hell are you going to blame people who aren't even competing with you? For that matter, how do you blame people who in all likelihood forgot that you exist?

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:08PM Doran7 said

garriot blames blizzard? what? I'm sorry but I play wow largely for the social aspect of the game.. it's easy to point fingers at the largest entity in the room but I find he's accusation in this regard to be non-sensical.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:12PM Doran7 said

then too garroit has obviously not played wow in the last 2 years.. the casual gaming space has been expanded so much that there are complains from the players going the other direction.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:13PM Mikx said

I dont think you can "blame" someone for ignoring a game type that other people then build their business upon.

I blame Richard Garriott for ignoring both social gaming AND the fighting game genre. BTW, when is the last time this guy released a hardcore ant simulation.

See how easy that was?

"I think you'll see that the quality level that comes up through the casual games will rival the quality of traditional massively multiplayer games"

Thats certainly true, the mechanics of many games can be created in a game with simplified graphics or less onerous hardware demands, and you can churn out those games faster.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:29PM Germaximus said

lol gawd this is so stupid

the only reason Zynga exists is because "normal" non video game players can play these games on their cell phones at work and at a bus stop and crap

real gamers do not play this shit

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:48PM mattwo said

@Germaximus Yea facebook games are either too time consuming or not time consuming enough depending on the game and how you look at it.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:43PM Ehra said

@SnarlingWolf

Him calling Blizzard out is BS, but Garriott's done a WHOLE lot more than "one thing" right. There's more to the Ultima franchise than Ultima Online.

Posted: Nov 8th 2011 10:03PM StClair said

@Ehra
Thank you.
Of course, that was probably before most of these people were BORN, so...

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:47PM mattwo said

Zynga? Really? I will never play a zynga game ever again, regardless if the info leak wasn't their fault. No other social game makers had that kind of problem!

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 2:06PM Dezyne said

Garriot: "Dezyne you've failed to design any rails for trains you're dropping the ball on civil engineering!"

Dezyne: "I design highways not train tracks."

Garriot: "I'm designing train tracks"

Dezyne: "Ok"

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 2:13PM (Unverified) said

I'm going to put down the industry leaderm and that will make me cool.

Loser, you games suck.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 2:13PM DerpMchurson said

Was there a pro-longed lack of oxygen on Garriott's space flight? Enjoy making your ponzi-scheme facebook apps Richard, and GTFO.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 2:22PM Valdur said

So,we had Brad Mc Quaid then Mark Jacobs now Richard Garriot.So I guess the next ones might be Jeff Hickman or Josh Drescher.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 9:39PM Bloodlet said

@Valdur More like you had Richard Garriott then Brad McQuaid etc.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 2:24PM (Unverified) said

I can never tell if this guy is brilliant, or a complete moron. One day he says or does something that's just genius. The next he says something as stupid as this that just makes you wonder if there is a retarded evil twin of his out there somewhere.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 3:08PM Drakkon said

Someone missed the boat with the latest news from Blizzard.

News Flash! Mists of Pandaria will be chock full of casual mini-games and little fun content nuggets for people who want to play but don't have a lot of time.

Blizzard ignores casual social gaming? I think not.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 3:53PM (Unverified) said

1 hit wonder, wonders why he's not a hit anymore.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 4:08PM Tovrin said

@SnarlingWolf

One right thing once!? Your kidding me! The man was a pioneer in Computer based RPGs and MMORPGs! People scoffed at the idea of paying $15 a month to subscribe to a game and look at them now; 15 years later they won't play an MMO unless it HAS a subscription model.

It's more fair to say he had one failure and now everyone is all over him like a rash. But I don't blame TR on him. I blame NCSoft management.

I think in 15 years time, you'll be eating those words.

But I'm very disappointed in Massively for such a ridiculous headline. It's the kind of thing I expect from Fox News. Anyone who clicks on the ACTUAL link and reads what he has to say will see how badly the headline distorts the message.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 4:33PM deejrandom said

...doesn't EA own POGO.com? I mean that is hardly ignoring the Casual market. That place is a cash cow to boot.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 4:46PM Titan1 said