Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:18PM Crovak said

One of the first dev statements I remember about SWOTR was the devs wanted to find a balance between Sandbox and Themepark. That basically the best game will incorporate both. I for one am not sure how they are going to handle this going forward but I sure hope they pull it off. They have created, so far, an amazing game that has pulled my wife and I in like no other game we have played. I am ashamed to tell you how much time we have been spending in beta =P

I agree with your statements personally and I really hope we find the industry moving steadily in this direction.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 6:49PM Lucidus said

@Crovak It's all theme park. There is nothing "sandbox" about SWTOR.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 7:14PM BigAndShiny said

• Half a heart
@Lucidus
story in TOR is amazing until you realise it's
planet one:
-help guy
-guy fall to darkside
-kill
RINSE AND REPEAT.
Not great story.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 8:24PM (Unverified) said

@Crovak

LOL - there is not a single sandbox element to TOR.

As for story, I prefer to create my own story in an MMO. I want the tools to do that, not some prescripted cinamatic that gives my dialog options. That's fine for a one-play-through single player game, like Mass Effect, but not for an MMO - not for me anyway.

That's why I prefer sandbox games. Sadly, the best sandbox game out there, SWG, was killed off thanks to LucasArts and its irrational fear that a player or two might not to subscribe to TOR if SWG were still around. Forget that the two games are as different as night and day, or that die hard SW fans would likely have subbed to both. Ah well, I am looking forward to GW2 and hoping Titan or SOE's next as yet unannounced game will go back to sandbox roots.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 8:48PM JuliusSeizure said

@BigAndShiny

Not true at all! That's only Republic side. On Empire it goes:

-guy sends you to other guy
-other guy asks you to betray first guy
-kill one or the other
RINSE AND REPEAT.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 9:34PM Crovak said

Reading comprehension...it is an amazing thing...but you are correct I did not spell it out.

"I for one am not sure how they are going to handle this going forward but I sure hope they pull it off."

They have started off with a good foundation, and one that plenty of people appreciate. It is left to be seen how they fulfill their stated vision.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:40AM (Unverified) said

@BigAndShiny Nonsense.
If you bring it back to that sort of basics, then every story, mission and quest in singleplayer games is as well a rinse and repeat of 'talk to mission giver, go to required location, kill some bad guys, get the item/talk to target, finish quest' rinse and repeat etc etc.

Heck, even all fantasy books can be summarised into ' evil in the world - protagonist gets dragged into it - protagonist gains friends and comrades who aid him - protagonist and friends go on a journey to rid the world of evil and resolve the conflict'.
I could do this same trick for (as good as) all tv shows as well, yet people still keep watching them.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 4:17AM (Unverified) said

@BigAndShiny Sure, either you haven't played the game or you're just intentionally being an idiot. There is an overarching storyline to the whole game, class storyline, and general planet storylines. Nice job on omitting those facts.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 4:19AM (Unverified) said

@JuliusSeizure Same goes for you that I said for Bigandshiny

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:21PM ArcherAvatar said

Well done... well said sir!

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:30PM Dabheid said

I have to admit that the main reason I've been playing Guild Wars for over the past 6 years is the story. As an avid reader, I need the story to pull me in or else I bore easily and move on. Fortunately Guild Wars has managed to hold my attention and seen to it that I'm sufficiently hooked via the storyline well enough to ensure my presence in the upcoming GW 2.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:37PM Crovak said

@Dabheid

You know Dabheid I feel that with SWTOR and the future release of GW2...this is one family that will not need a new game for many years. I must admit I have not been GW supporter in the past. We played for a while but it just did not stick with us. However after reading so much about it from players posts, add in that the new trailer is amazing, and not to mention Rubi's infectious excitement about it, I am looking forwards to it's release. I am following GW2 updates as closely as I followed SWTOR updates for the last few years.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:32PM madcartoonist said

Yay for stories. I have never cared much about leveling as I have about a good story quest chain. i would be willing to do a game with no character leveling at all as long as they had good writing and kept it coming. It probably helps that i tend to only play one character so I don't repeat the story elements over and over like you would with alts.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:34PM Lenn said

Fully in agreement.

Funnily enough (LotRO spoiler alert), I literally just finished the storyline in LotRO where my character was captured by Saruman and had to escape from Isengard. It had some boring quests in it (including one to kill 10 rats, titled Kill Ten Rats), but it was all woven into this great little tale inside the larger tale, and it had me glued to my screen for the good few hours it took me to get through it.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:41PM jimr9999us said

The foundation of any strong mmorpg is the lore. It provides the framework to build a believable world on over many years...I think the primary reason behind WoW's decline in the west is their neglect of the lore post Wrath...

That said, the lore is a foundation for a game. The best games don't push the story, they provide it. If I want it, let me find it, discover it.

Don't force me to watch a 30 second cut scene before a boss fight, before a wf. Sometimes I want to read a story...but generally I play a mmog to have fun with my friends in a diverse and immerse world.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:42PM jeremys said

Great article, Justin! My top 3 MMOs, on the horizon, are Archeage, Guild Wars 2 and Age of Wulin - precisely because they hint at recombining the sandbox and themepark stereotypes, giving players tools to "live" in the world - which, I think, couldn't be better for facilitating storytelling, and they are trying to utilize the latest technologies.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:45PM alzeer said

story is one of my top reasons to enjoy MMO
it was what drew me into FFXI
and atm i am enjoying tortage destiny quests story in AoC

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:52PM DerpMchurson said

Great article. You pointed out the fact that the worlds don't change when quests are completed. This is a huge problem, but one that is not easily fixed.

Bethesda nails the epic sandbox story line with the Elder Scrolls Series, but I can't see how it would be possible to pull it off in an mmorpg.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 5:54PM J45neoboy said

Story is the reason why I play RPGs and not FPSs. I'm happy that the next generation of MMOs are embracing story as something that is a must for the genre.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 6:00PM Chambers said

The story is in all MMO's, most of it is hackneyed and drivel but it is there, its often the way its conveyed to us that is the problem. I really would look at WoW as the bench mark and the only mmo that i have played that is attempting to introduce story elements into the game such as the wraith gate scenario and more in cataclysim. But for the most part the story in MMO's is this; CGI introduction showing off the classes with a voice over followed by quest text.... and thats it really. Even FPS games spend more time and detail fleshing out the world people play in take for example deus ex or bioshock. They all have better storytelling than any mmo i have ever played. MMO's are NOT about the story, they are about the stats and the reason this will ALWAYS ring true is because no one wants to read (raid) a story (boss) once every week for 3 months, they do it for gear and for this reason story will always be the thing that gets in the way of gear.

Untill such time as a major MMO can release that doesnt involve stats in any major way (guild wars was close, but im confident GW2 will be nothing like it)

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM