Posted: Nov 1st 2011 7:59PM Xilmar said

I remember hearing some talk a while back about CCP wanting to make the overview less important in PVP. As in allowing players to get the necessary information from watching the ships rather than the overview.

New brackets will help that (if one can have brackets on that is), and it seems to me that allowing corps/alliances to have a unified look on the field could, in theory, further build up to it.

If that's their intention or not, couldn't say. But even if not, it's still further opening up that option down the line imo, which can only be a good thing.

P.S. Engine trails woop woop!

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 8:27PM foofad said

Engine Trails are awful. :l I've turned them off in every game to feature them, from Homeworld to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, to Eve back when they still had them. Hopefully the work won't just be on the trails themselves but also the exhaust closer to the engine nozzles; I really want to see something closer to what's on the login screen right now.

Also, they totally just leaked which two new battlecruiser hulls were picked, and I have to say that I freaking love their choices.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 8:36PM foofad said

@foofad P.s., what I really want to see is actual weapon models for missiles. I'm tired of seeing ships burp out missiles from some arbitrary invisible point on the model.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:31AM Skyydragonn said

@foofad
The angular vertical ship was the winning entry to that competition if i remember correctly, there will be 1 new BC per race coming soon, and if I heard that correctly they were all chosen from contest entries, not just the one winning ship.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 9:03PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Spaceships?!

What a novel idea.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 9:59PM Utakata said

With the risk of sounding like I am beating the Bad Astronomy drum (yes, I am a big fan of that blog)...but do trails really work in a vacuum? I understand that exhaust that comes out back end is hot thus freezes soon as it enters the cold of space. But since space has no tenable atmosphere holding it in place (ie force), wouldn't it just disipate indefinitely, therefore leaving no trail? I could be wrong on that though.

On a better note though...I like the idea of customization of skins with decals and stuff (presuming they're not all cash shop bound). I could see EVE becoming a very Chris Foss universe where it's litter with wonderfully overtop colored and patterned ships. Though of coarse, the big draw back in FFA PvP environment I would imagine one wouldn't want their ships to be too brightly garish...unless they're willing to use them as bait.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 11:41PM foofad said

@Utakata It's a matter of some debate, but basically: It depends mostly on the propellant used, and what kind of exhaust it has as a result of whatever reaction is doing the propelling. For starters, the kind of engine trails you see in games, and the kind that used to exist in Eve particularly, don't happen in real life. In order for the trail to glow, it has to either produce its own light or reflect light heavily - and most of the exhaust products (with some exceptions) of modern rocket engines don't do either.

For example, the Space Shuttle Main Engine (SSME) is a liquid fueled rocket. It runs off of liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. The main component of its exhaust is... water. Superheated steam. Water just straight up doesn't do the whole "glowing space trail" thing. I'm not sure what other types of liquid propellants are used but I'll make the educated guess that they are all equally unspectacular in the exhaust department.

Where things get potentially interesting is when you start talking about other engine types. There are various types of electromagnetic thrusters like ion thrusters, plasma thrusters, etc, which leave behind a trail of glowing ionized gas. They tend to produce a faint glowing effect similar to the Mach disk formed by jet engines, rockets, etc - but they don't leave a noticeable "trail" exactly. Also they're totally useless for combat because they produce almost no thrust. However, scale things up by a very large factor and they might produce enough glowing, ionized gas exhaust to actually leave behind some kind of a trail. Maybe.

But then you run into another problem: Actually getting the exhaust particles to march out of the engine in a straight line. Generally speaking it wouldn't be a very useful engine if the exhaust went everywhere, but as it starts to interact with itself in various ways, it's going to disperse. Whether it will disperse too quickly to leave behind a noticeable glowing trail (if all other conditions were there in order to produce a glow at all) is anyone's guess. But now we've gone all the way from strict reality to total fantasy.

TL;DR: No, pretty glowing engine trails don't happen in reality.

Oh, also - No, exhaust doesn't freeze when it hits space. Hot things in space tend to stay hot for the same reason the coffee in your thermos stays hot. There's a layer of vacuum between your drink and the outside, living between the double-walls of the container. This serves as an insulator. Yadda yadda, it's called convection in thermodynamics, it's why you wouldn't freeze without a space suit on and why most of the modern NASA space suits spend most of their time trying to cool you off rather than warm you up.

I should probably go back to doing homework.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 1:48AM Utakata said

@foofad

Well, thanks for sharing that. Though I feel bad I made you interupt your studies so you could explain all that. It was really informative, as well took care of some misconceptions I had with the mechanics of exhausts in space. Although, I appeared to be on the right track in concluding there are no pretty trails left behind.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 3:16PM Kalex716 said

@foofad

Its not rocket science you know!....?... wait a second...

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 4:46AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
EVE will go into history as the most hyped up "spreadsheet in space" by nerds ever.

EVE is simply WOW without an atmosphere or gravitation and a few pixels presenting space ships. Don't even come up with such nonsens as sandbox. It simply is another gear grind.

It is a gear grind, just like WOW or any other decent MMO. You grind gear for your spaceship to better it and you can loose some and you rince and repeat.

I think it is quite idiotic spilling your life on a flying saucer in empty space.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 4:57AM pcgneurotic said

• Half a heart
I think it is disgusting that the devs have so much time on their hands that they can make videos of themselves pretending to work and all what are they really doing is just painting colourful smoke from their spaceships I mean really, when oh when will they learn that they smokescreen cash-grab nickel and dime sunglasses rip off childhood ruined knee jerk no spinning ships im horrified quick where's my medicine?

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 3:18PM Kalex716 said

@pcgneurotic

It was a visit to the ART DEPARTMENT you twit.... What do you expect?

Go to other departments at a game development studio and you'll see other things. But artists, are paid to make things look pretty, and care a lot about that.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 10:22PM Utakata said

@Kalex716

Speaking of rocket science...by looking further on down the post you would find pcgneurotic confessing that the above you replied to was indeed a joke. If the line "im horrified quick where's my medicine?" wasn't enough indication...

...and same to everyone else who downrank'd it. Just saying.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 5:27AM Utakata said

The comments here are turning a little strange. I hope it wasn't me who started it. :(

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 8:32AM Nenene said

@Utakata
/comfort

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 3:43PM pcgneurotic said

@Utakata

I think it was more the shock of having an Eve/CCP post without any mouth-frothing. ;) Anyway, I'd like to apologise for my attempt at satire. Didn't help anything. Silly.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 10:24PM Utakata said

@Nenene

Thnaks! :)

And /comforts pcgneurotic.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 8:28AM Critical Mass said

From the video, I can tell they use Maya for modeling at CCP.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 9:48PM foofad said

@Critical Mass For animation I think. I doubt they use it for modeling, but it's possible.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2011 7:13AM Critical Mass said

@foofad

Oh, I guess you might be right.

I like it for modeling, I guess I was jumping to conclusions here, my bad.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story