Posted: Oct 31st 2011 1:30PM Azev said

If they can pull off EVE-Online on foot and not destroy it by making it pay to win then they will have one of the most successful mmo's in history.

I just can not see a Territory based pvp game succeeding as F2P.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 1:36PM Davevis93 said

I found the certificate system in the original Planetside to be a fine system. No need to be locked into a class I say. I'm not playing CoD or BF where I have to carry an LMG with my medikits. If I want I should be able to be a sniper who repairs vehicles or heavy-weap/armor guy who has adv. hacking. By playing as a certain class I fear that I'll be forced down a linear path of certs that pertain to the stereotypical idea of that class.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 1:50PM aaradun said

is it me or the writer things all solider are female? Which is strange considering author is male lol.

"Depending on a soldier's whims, she can train in certifications to tailor the class to her play style."

But back to real reason for posting, if this is anything like planetside 1 just improved then this going to be awesome. Let's hope they don't EQ2 this

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 2:05PM Lenn said

@aaradun That's been the style here at Massively for a while now. Instead of using "he" or "he/she".

Still loads better than "it".

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 2:11PM Yellowdancer said

@aaradun

Well, writing 101 says that when you're not speaking of a specific person, then use the female gender. So his article is correct.

And I like EQ2.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 2:54PM kevinrahl said

@aaradun Yep its like Yellowdancer said. For years they always used the male gender in words. Its only correct that they use the female gender now. Its only fair.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 2:36PM NeverDeath said

@kevinrahl

Lol. As if it's going to upset some fabric of reality or ruin lives if they don't use "she". The "it's only fair" argument is hilarious in such a situation where there isn't really fair or unfair because the topic is beyond trivial.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 3:23PM Budukahn said

Personally, I'm not enthused by this idea. What really matters to me is the removal of the "Mosquito as air taxi" situation that became dominant at least on the Werner server among the high rank outfits that played.

It seemed every other high end outfit than mine seemed to get everywhere in fleets of mosquito's (a sort of one man helicopter gunship equivalent) which in my experience seemed to completely make so much of the rest of the game redundant. APC's, Tanks, even Galaxy Dropships were largely pointless.

The problem in my view was that the certification for mosquito was pretty cheap, especially to a high end character with plenty of points to spare, so it was simply optimal for these outfits to do it. I don't blame them - it was the smart thing to do under the system, but I do hope Planetside 2 will take care to avoid this, whether by locking Pilots into their own classes or making Air cavalry certs sufficiently costly to ensure that the unparalleled mobility they provide is counter-acted by a sufficient loss in combat effectiveness on the ground.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 5:48PM Wieland said

To bad that Planetside 2 got a rival today on my list of games to play.
Mechwarrior Online. Ah, all those memories of MPBT:3025.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 6:54PM smg77 said

How soon after release will this game get a NGE?

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 9:21PM Neiloch said

@smg77 Never since LucasArts can't strong arm them into doing it for this game.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 9:25PM Neiloch said

From the sounds of it the whole 'classes' thing is just to make it easier for new people. So say if you wanted to be a sniper who can repair, you would just pick 'sniper' and get some repair certs. Probably won't be as good as a full on engineer. Kind of like if they packaged PS1 certs into 'classes' without putting any actual restrictions on it.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 11:56PM champagon said

repeat the first planetside without the fail that was added later on....you KNOW what i am talking about SOE...Do this, and I will shut up and give you my money....

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 4:52AM (Unverified) said

yeah please no fail that was core combat space would be a hell of alot better

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 4:45PM stealthrider said

Thank god they're re-using the Matrix Online's hardline respec system.

That game did classes right, and this one will, too!