Posted: Oct 31st 2011 4:22PM DevilSei said

Best part of Scarred Psyche, to me at least, is a consistent PvE only way to get a PvP title! It's a little shaky or even tad hard, but you can nab 15 gamer points with just heroes! Also a good way to level them up (since stats are irrelevant and health/energy is set in stone).

But god... never mention Fear the Reaper around me... I have yet to finish that quest ONCE! It doesn't help there is the "no death" penalty, it doesn't help that you don't even get a good map of the location with markers and the like visible right from the start and with minimum fuss...
Its the god-dang size of the area! You could quite literally do that first quest ten times easy and still have space left for more in the distance you travel for Reapers...

Thank god for the other quest chains... I may not get to farm Skellies, but hey... I don't get to beat my head against an Asura-made golem for hours on end...

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 4:51PM DevilSei said

@DevilSei

just adding into the first thing I said, but I hope Arena.Net actually continues with the idea of "PvE" Gamer point challenges. Season is just fine with me, but in terms of earning them the PvP titles can brutal for casual players, with most requiring multiple wins.

So having something like Scarred Psyche, were people can just run and run and run, grinding up points in the way they prefer, is great! I really hope to see the idea carried on with the next Holiday events.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 5:22PM (Unverified) said

@DevilSei

The Wiki says that the Gamer title doesn't count as a HoM PVP title unfortunately.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 5:35PM DevilSei said

@(Unverified)

Ahh, thanks for the heads up. I swear it used to count for the PvP title...

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 4:28PM Arkanaloth said

I have to agree, I avoid that entire Underworld Halloween quest line, it's pretty darn heinous especially when I can run the Hakewood quest chain on 3 or 4 different characters.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 4:32PM Sv3 said

I couldn't agree more. I don't even bother doing the quests anymore. :/

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 6:39PM Seldra said

I love the pirate hat. So jack sparrow.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 6:50PM Graill440 said

Very cool folks are still interested in GW, no complaints here other than the instancing and it is.... a....very....boring.......grind after grind to get things, this title should be called Grind wars, laugh, really though, this title is better than most.

I went through the content a long while ago, the groups i went with were fine, what i could do with my heros i did. Suggestions by folks to repeat things...me?...seriously, i do not repeat content, no matter how popular.

Still, the grind has left me bored and not wanting to play the title, i havent even logged on to try a single halloween event, simply no interest. Though some things they did have and discontniued for some reason also contributed to the loss of interest, and the store.....its simply irritating.

From reading the the OP and a couple blogs here i see there is some frustration, glad i passed this year. Grin

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 9:59PM Naru now in 3D said

Wow, I'm so glad I'm not the only one that was driven batty by Don't Fear The Reaper. When I first looked up this particular Halloween quest chain, I was impressed and enthused by the sizable rewards.

That feeling quickly faded away when I had to try to run through Don't Fear The Reaper 20+ times. It got SO frustrating! The total opposite of fun! Especially since the first time I made it out of the damn Bone Pits alive, I somehow died shortly after by this weird location lag where it would show me running ahead of monsters in the Labyrinth when I was really stuck next to them :((((((

Anyway, the challenge mission vs. Palawa Joko was lots of fun and I got to take a screenshot of myself on the leaderboards :D

...Now I just need to figure out how to make my 7-hero team survive through the Underworld for the first time so I can finish that last quest! Wish me luck!

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 11:19PM ArcherAvatar said

@Rubi

Please bear in mind that I have not played GW1, so I am really just asking a question out of curiousity here, not trying to pick a fight...

You complained about needing to use "twitch skills" to complete this quest line, and you also complained numerous times in the past about not being able to enjoy PVP, (widely accepted as a faster paced, and more difficult style of play than PVE in most games) and during the #170 Massively Speaking podcast (I'm pretty sure it was that one... could have been #169) you also confessed to being in the habit of "mouse-clicking" skills instead of using the hotkeys (a notoriously inefficient way of playing that renders subpar results) so I have to ask;
Is what you're complaining about in the OP as "unreasonable difficulty" actually just challenging content intended for those players who are used to the more difficult PVP and playing the game utilizing the hotkeys and movement keys as they were intended?
The difference between "challenging" and "/rage quit difficulty" is after all, a matter of personal perspective, and quite subjective.

(After re-reading that I can definitely see where someone would view it as "picking a fight" despite my disclaimer, but that really isn't the intention, and I apologize ahead of time if it comes off that way. I'm really just asking you to step outside of your own perspective for a sec to consider the possibility that the content was designed to be challenging beyond what casual PVE players, or those who are able to rely consistently on groups, are used to. As I said, I have not played the game so I have no way of knowing personally. I'm just curious if it's possible.)

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 11:32PM Jeromai said

@ArcherAvatar

If I can recall correctly from what I painfully learned last year over many many degen deaths in the Bone Pits, there are indeed somewhat predictable patrol patterns.

And one can get through with a large helping of patience, repeated practice/familiarity with the patrol paths, and lots of Mad King's Influence (turns all enemies within an area friendly for a period of time) skill use.

The wiki seems to imply as much as well. "Wise use of The Mad King's Influence is important in getting to Reaper of the Bone Pits without getting hexed. When you know the enemies' paths, it takes 4 activations to get in and the same number (or 3 and 2 Sugar Shocks) to get out. "

I died tons because I had no patience, tried to shortcut the process with twitch and do knockdowns - my timing and latency and general skill level with GW leaves a lot to be desired even if I keyboard activate skills. Careful play got me through, and it was quite satisfying when done. (GW pros can no doubt ace this at an infinitely faster pace with consumable buffs, but I'm just an average to middling solo'er nooblet too stubborn for my own good.)

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 1:36AM ArcherAvatar said

@Jeromai
TY for the reply and the insight. That was pretty much the information I was looking for on the subject.

Patience: A mythical property reported to have been displayed by one gamer... once... in a game before your time, in the long, long ago... the "before" time.
There have been no credible sightings of this ridiculously unrealistic property in contemporary times, and most experts quite rightly classify it strictly as a myth or urban legend.

"Stay awhile, and listen..."
(said in his best Scottish brogue imitation of Sean Connery)

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 11:19PM Jeromai said

Heh. I'm scared of the Underworld. I've left "Don't Fear the Reapers" as the last quest I haven't done this year yet. I need to find a good 2-3 uninterrupted hours to take it on.

That said, in my opinion, the quest has a place. All event quests are optional. They give essentially the same reward of ToT bags. You can PvP for them, you can run around the world and do various PvE for them (Majesty's Rest is no cakewalk either, to be honest - I used to wipe multiple times on Rotscale until I buffed my heroes and their bar, and then I promptly switched to hard mode this year to crank out a leftover Zaishen quest at the same time, and also got my behind handed to me once before I remembered to get buffed by the statue.)

This year, you can do lots and lots of Scarred Psyche, either by yourself and with heroes, or with real people, depending on your preference and score lots of ToT bags and Gamer points to boot - a PvE option to access what used to be PvP only. Hooray for options. Certain other games could learn from them.

And "Don't Fear the Reapers" is also a option. It's good to have a solo quest that is -difficult- and affords a challenge for those interested in it. I hammered away at it last year over and over, learning more about important GW skill techniques such as learning how to play a preset skill bar, predicting patrols and watching your aggro radius, a small amount of speedrunning, etc.

It's also very -different- from a typical quest in the sense that you don't have to kill anything, you're evading, pretty much. Different is good, as long as it's an option. Sure, it's not ideal design in that it's the second in a quest chain (it should be standalone as an option) but for what's it worth, it's worth running once. It also let people who didn't go to the Underworld in groups get a chance to see the map and get familiar with it.

The only thing is the Underworld isn't a great map. It's ridiculously twisty, there's seven reapers, relentlessly time consuming to travel to all of them. I still have to go get Eternal Conqueror of the Underworld at some point, died on the sixth reaper some time back, and haven't had the stomach to squander another 2+ hours at it yet. On the bright side, options. That I can consider getting the trophy at all without ever grouping is worth spending increased time and effort working at it solo.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 3:24AM moiax said

I did the quest for the first time this year. I'm not too familiar with the greater UW area outside my sporadic attempts at farming, but I enjoyed the challenge of the quest. Was it tons of fun? Not exactly. Nerve wracking certianly, but the feeling I got when I was cruising towards Frozenwind and the assembled reapers was great (on my first try as well).

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 7:14AM Lensor said

I am probably a total weirdo, but I actually really like the "Don't fear the reapers" quest.. so much that I wish it was repeatable.

That said, I agree that it should not be a road block to the skele farming quest.

Posted: Nov 4th 2011 2:29AM Erring Ryft said

I love Don't Fear the Reapers - mostly BECAUSE it's slightly more difficult than most GW content. The quest actually gives a sense of accomplishment for doing something difficult that I just don't get from blowing through a bunch of vanquishes or missions with seven other people/AI watching my back. You have to see Bone Pits as less of an annoyance to get through and more of a dance - you have a certain amount of energy and a really useful, spammable knockdown skill. This is ALL you need. Mad King's Influence is just a crutch to lean on if you find yourself in a situation where you have two left feet and can't stay coordinated.

I take a bit of issue with the idea that this is a bar to content as well - it's not a bar to content, it's just a bar to easy farming. If anything, the two skeleton quests after Don't Fear the Reapers are the real problem, as the only new thing they added to the game was a requirement that you double click an object in your inventory to complete a quest, and then save up a bunch of them for a big payoff when you turn them all in. They don't change the UW experience - that was already done when skellies were added in the 09 update, and unlike Reapers, they pose no new challenge, either. As for The Waiting Game, you can still go beat Dhuum without doing Reapers - you just won't get a nice stack of bags or 5k for doing so. The content is still there.

As for the punishment for failure, it's a bit laughable. You don't have to pay the entrance fee to UW each time you fail, you just have to start over, which, considering the quest can be done in under forty minutes even for a slow person (and down to 16-17 minutes without cons for someone who knows the way), isn't that great a consequence.

It's GOOD to have things that are hard(er) in this game, and it's nice to have something that doesn't require the same tactics that nearly everything else in GW relies on for success. It's fine to not like it, but trying to label it as an objectively un-fun experience is just silly.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014