Posted: Oct 30th 2011 8:18AM Bramen said

What has always bugged me in WoW after B.C. expansion is the fact that the game has turned from World of WARcraft into world of Mutual-respect-and-city-sharingcraft. I'd kill you on sight if I see you raise a banner near a saw mill I don't care about, but standing next to the bank where I keep all my most valuable and hard earned goods, I'd leave you alone...
I guess my disgruntle is more about the world not fitting the lore, than one faction not getting enough story time.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 12:54PM Irem said

@Bramen
I half agree. I'm not thrilled with the "RAWR I HATE YOU" "I HATE YOU MORE" Horde/Alliance conflict, which feels inorganic and completely forced to me at this point, but the city-sharing and stuff really doesn't help. It makes both sides look even -more- idiotic for continuing the conflict, especially when there are NPCs everywhere getting along with each other and paying lip service to the idea that we shouldn't be fighting.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 2:30PM (Unverified) said

@Irem Well in Blizzard defence they did do a lot of work with the Cata revamp of the old world zones adding numerous new stories and fleshing out the continuing conflict between Alliance and Horde so I think they did help to give some credence to the Alliance / Horde war. But yes WoTLK and BC with their shared capitals was kinda spoiling the mood even if lore-wise they were in a temporary truths...
My problem of course is that it took 6 years just for then to update the various narratives, with the massive number of half-finished quest-lines and plots (like what's up with the Forsaken / Scourge-lite?) they left all over the place I'd be rather unhappy if it took them another 6 years before they continued...

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 11:15PM remeran said

@Bramen

It's funny because that is exactly what they are trying to bring back with MoP. When it was being announced Chris Metzen said that they didn't want a big baddie, they wanted the conflict to be the war between the Alliance and the horde. While rebuilding the world after the Cataclysm the Horde/Alliance stumble upon Pandaria which has just been revealed again after being shrouded in mist since the sundering. With all the resources in Pandaria being ripe for the taken. the Horde and Alliance start to fight for it. In Pandaria negative energy manifest itself into shadow monsters called Sha, that's why Pandaren have found inner peace with in them selves to prevent these sha from coming.

Haha, didn't expect to go off into all that, but my point is they are trying to bring that back and that's some of the story. I haven't been playing WoW for a while now but I'm a big lore junkie and what they are trying to do seems pretty interesting. I dunno ,maybe I'll try it.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 9:53AM Ehra said

Dark Astoria, anyone?

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 10:24AM Sente said

@Ehra Was about to write that as well.
There was not that much continuation on Cimerora, even though it hinted about much more.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 7:57PM (Unverified) said

@Sente Yep, as well as the other hazard zones in Paragon.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 10:04AM alzeer said

FFXI : the zilarts, i would like to know more about their civilization
also want to visit the "original Vana'diel"

wow : Draenor , before blasted and became Outland

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 10:31AM Dumac said

Sometimes I feel the "evil" side of things and ambiguous morality isn't explored much, maybe due to laziness, maybe due to technical or design or budget limitations, doesn't matter.

Age of Conan's low fantasy setting is better at it than most games, but I'm playing a Dark Templar (pictured to the left *heart*), who is described as sacrificing his humanity to dark beings for power, but sometimes my only quest dialogue option is to condemn the foul magics of certain groups that need to be dealt with and head off to kill them. It's not a major game breaker but It leaves a little to be desired.

Although I'm not completely pumped for The Secret World I think it might have a lot going on in the ambiguous morality area, at least I'm hoping.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 10:41AM J45neoboy said

Rift: The actual Rifts.
WoW: Horde vs Alliance
Aion: Tower of Eternity
Runescape: The Goblins

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 2:03PM Zyrusticae said

@J45neoboy

Definitely second that on Aion.

For being the central conceit for the conflict in the game, the Tower of Eternity doesn't get anywhere NEAR enough explanation. All we know is that it used to house Aion, that it exploded in the Cataclysm, and that it's constantly leaking aether to who-knows-where.

We are never physically within proximity to the tower, and there is barely any mention of it in the game's quests (and there are a lot). What's the deal with that? What's going on with the tower? Is everyone too pre-occupied with killing the other side that they're blind to what they were fighting for in the first place?

Curiously, we're even moving *away* form the tower itself, as physically Balaurea is on the outer shell of the planet. Where is this story going? I wonder...

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 12:28PM BigAndShiny said

I think that if Age of Conan had come out bug-free and fully voiced, not only would it have way more players and not be F2P, but we wouldn't be seeing this much fuss about TOR.

Stupid Funcom.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 3:28PM Jorev said

In classic EQ, players took a faction hit or gain when attacking various NPCs. It was a trade off to consider. I miss that in the current crop of MMOs.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 4:57PM hereafter said

I think Rift should have started with more interaction from the planes. Either in the abilities or how certain quests are handled, there should be a greater sense of the world getting holes in it and the two factions dealing with that or using it to their advantage. I think they need something more surreal than the current rifts. Maybe getting close to a rift actually could warp space or time somehow.

I think a wider variety of inter-planar events are needed as well, so maybe there's the full on rifts and invasions, but how about individual monsters dropping out of little holes in the air in the middle of cities? Maybe some bigger monsters can squeeze through from time to time. Stuff like that could simply flesh out the world and maintain a sense of danger without having everything neatly centered around the little Rifts.

Ultimately, I think the game missed some opportunities for some really inspired design, both in terms of game and character design. It's solid, but it could have pushed it a lot further.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 6:00AM (Unverified) said

The OLD GODS, Titans and the SCOURGE in world of warcraft. They story of Wrath of the Lich King should not have ended with Arthas' demise, but with Arthas emerging and releasing himself from the Lich King, becoming something more than just a casualty of war. What is this? He went through all that shit to die in the end? I dislike that, I despise that...

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 8:58AM Dabheid said

I've tried hard to think of any lore in Guild Wars that could do with a little in-depth delving, but to be honest out of all 3 campaigns and the EotN expansion, all I could think of were maybe the Wardens of the Echovald Forest and/or the Outcasts in the Jade Sea.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM