Posted: Oct 29th 2011 8:11PM Raikulxox said

I heard two different stories on why there hasn't been another full fledged expansion lately. No idea if they're true (I think the first has been disproven), but:

the PS2 HDD can't hold another expansion, and FFXI can only hold 255 zones (or something like that), and that's why they've been reskinning zones since it doesn't count against the limit.

Can anyone clarify on these two things?

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 9:04PM Irem said

@Raikulxox
I've heard rumors similar to this since the game's prime, but never any confirmation of them. On the one hand they could easily be the product of people wanting to fill a void with an explanation, but on the other there probably is some hard limit to what they can do with the PS2 and I imagine they've pushed the edges, especially considering how little support the HDD got. "PS2 limitations" is a long-running fandom meme because it used to be the dev team's go-to excuse, but it was also a source of a lot of resentment toward the PS2, even back when the game first launched in the US.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 1:46AM Khalus said

@Raikulxox

The 255 sounds accurate for zones, because it ties into the storage problems the PS2 has as well, 80 being the max, but they can duplicate that 80 as many times over as they want.

Max Inventory space is 80
Max Mog House space is 80
Max Mog Locker space is 80
Max Mog Satchel Space is 80
Max everything else, like the tickets for holding sets of unique gear is also 80!

I fully believe that the PS2 has always been holding back FFXI from expanding ever more greater than it has. Granted SE has done a rather good job at that despite the PS2 limitations, but in-all-seriousness, after Sony screwed SE over in sales by cancelling the PS2 hard drives everywhere but Japan, I don't see why they continued to support it! {I know it was Sony and their brilliance in attempting to stop piracy, then they come out with a PS3 with a hard drive...LOL}

I just wonder if the poll SE had a few months back asking active FFXI players what platform they played on, might have more to it. For instance are they secretly working on dropping support of the PS2 and releasing a PS3 ver, or possibly another expansion to coincide with the 96-99 cap increase? or maybe after!? Probably never seeing as things have been progressing, but one can wish.

Not to forget mentioning if they can turn FFXIV around with 2.0, they might finally win the XI crowd over into jumping airship to Eorzea, again wishful thinking, but who knows really!

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 8:58PM Irem said

I'm torn on PS2 support. On the one hand I think cutting it off would probably be the best thing for the game that they could do, but on the other I remember when I played exclusively on PS2 and I have a Japanese friend who has been playing since release and has only his PS2 (he's housebound and FFXI is pretty much his sole social outlet). From what I understand playing on PS2 is much more prevalent at this point in the game's life in Japan than in the US, which may have a lot to do with why they haven't cut support for it.

I would really love to see a new expansion, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they wanted people to start switching over to FFXIV for the most part. There were a few contradictory comments on that--early in the game's publicity cycle they were talking about expecting people to play both, but later either Tanaka or Sundi--I think--mentioned expecting to see a shift to XIV. With the amount of work and resources they're putting into XIV I wonder what their opinion on that is now, especially since XI is still extremely popular in comparison.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 9:48PM Vunak said

A new expansion would be nice. But I think they need to bring FFXI back to what it used to be. This whole Abyssea thing has destroyed the game that WAS FFXI. Getting to lvl cap in a day or so is just sad. Partying no longer exists outside Abyssea. Its sad to see Yhoater and Yhutunga, Crawlers Nest ect empty of players.

Would be nice if they made Abyssea a 70+ thing. What it should have been. People are lvling jobs up and have no clue how to play the class because they weren't familiar with it other then doing chests.

I blame summoner burns for the current state of the game. SE saw people SMN burning thinking everyone just wanted to be lvl cap. Not true where is the journey? The parties where you met new people and had fun conversations. You did Genkai with people you /Befriended from those parties.

They invited you to do Missions and BCNM's....

Oh how FFXI has fallen from its former platform.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 1:34AM Khalus said

Eliot Lefebvre ~ "It's hard to really pin an exact date on the anniversary for FFXI over here, since the game was released after it had already been out in Japan for quite some time."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, rather odd that you couldn't figure this out by looking up the PC release date for the US, which was Oct 28th 2003, thus the 8th anniversary was just 2 days ago! {March 23, 2004 for the US PS2}

And it was May 16, 2002 for the PS2 launch in Japan, thus is had been out there for just under 18mo before the US.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 4:48AM peyo01 said

To my understanding, Abyssea and FF XI gameplay evolutions have done some good (new players attracted to this game who would have ignored it if it was still hardcore as it was a few years ago) but they have done some damage too as most people in my LS begin to feel like they have "won the game". It is not true of course, but they have just done everything they were interested into at this point, max leveled the jobs they wanted to and find themselves wandering around in Vana'diel for something new to do IG.
The result is that more and more of them are switching from XI to XIV.

I wonder if it was SE plans from the beginning: catering to the more casual players with Abyssea keeping the game population somehow steady by new players influx but driving the older players to XIV slowly but steadily. So that one day, they can pull off the plug on XI without too many people noticing...
I don't know. They have shrinked if not emptied the development team for XI a few months ago, and there is no real sign of a new expansion coming anytime soon...
The only thing that can make them change plans is XIV's launch not going well at all (quite an understatement here). Thus XI has to live longer than expected to compensate for this turn of events. But does it mean a new expansion will be developed ? I don't think SE is financially stable enough today to invest in such development.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 8:02AM Bramen said

Do games really need expansions at all? Small patches that update the game slowly can be enjoyable also. Do we really need the big lurch forward (or backwards) that expansions create?

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 6:10AM MysteryHand said

I created an account just to let you know that I loved the intro to this article (I don't play FF XI, but I can still feel your pain). Good writer. Thanks for making me laugh.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM