Posted: Oct 30th 2011 2:17AM Protoavis said

always have at least one toon in each faction but my main is pretty much always on the villain/bad side (largely because I tend to pug a lot and find pugging villain side to be less annoying)

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 1:24PM mysecretid said

My first concern is that I'm playing a character I enjoy.

That said, I don't typically like playing "evil" (I've seen enough of real evil in real life to find game evil "sexy" or "cool"), so faction or side matters to my enjoyment, insofar as I won't play the "blood-drinking puppy-eaters" faction.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 1:24PM Kresh said

I see the differing factions as a way to explore more of the lore of a game world. I hold no loyalty to any side in a game.

I do have difficulty playing "evil" factions though, as I just have trouble getting enthused about being evil. I still play them, but only for the lore and I jump out as soon as I have reached the point where all quests are the same for that alliance, so to speak. If the quest's don't homogenize, then I play them out to the end and breath a sigh of relief when I'm done.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 6:59PM Kalex716 said

Try EVE, where the factions can easily number in the thousands of like minded players. And the drama is real with all its nerd glory and requires no fake NPC stilts to hold the contention up.

It even gets tied up with nationalism, which undoubtedly adds more flare to it when you have "the russians" and what not.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 10:32PM (Unverified) said

There are a few MMOs where race does matter. My first mmo was some f2p Korean grinder called Rising Force online where there were 3 factions; a robot race, a magical race and a hybrid race that could ride in mechs and use some magic. Each race had a unique class: the robots had "Strikers" which turned their scout class into an gun turret with massive spike damage but have to root themselves and slowly deploy. The magic race had summons ie pet class, and the hybrid race had their Armored Riders (could ride in mechs) and had the only true healers in the game.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 5:55AM (Unverified) said

I play on both factions in World of WarCraft, but it's only because I have friends that I raid with on the horde side and the circumstance dictates it. I'm an Alliance champion though as I despise the horde for tearing down and tainting the beloved world of Azeroth with their filth and rage for war. They leveled cities, they destroyed forests, and they kill and shout "Strength and Honor", where is the honor? in killing things that move withing their sights. So, FOR THE ALLIANCE...

I couldn't play RIFT much but the much I have however, I couldn't relate to any side, even though in life I'm an atheist, a complete non-believer who believes only in one thing and that's religion is the downfall of men as a race. But Defiant was my thing, I played on their side for a while, yet, in a fantasy realm, being a defiant don't really make any sense, as deities exist and they actually intervene every now and then.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 11:31PM Lumin said

Not really. When I start playing a game, my choice of race is usually defined by visual aesthetics and that race's individual lore. Just because I like a particular race doesn't mean I like the faction as a whole!

Aion did a decent job of creating a conflict scenario where both sides are able to point fingers at the other side for things they have done wrong in the past. However, all of Aion's lore occurs centuries before present-game-day which makes it a lot less applicable to my character. I later acquired some negative impressions about one side, but that was due to the players and only after I rerolled.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2011 3:28AM RedWolf said

Making a character "inextricably tied to a faction" as per WoW was a pathetic simplification of the previous faction mechanics in games such as Ultima Online, DAoC, Star Wars Galaxies and others.